IT'S HOCKEY-TIME !!!!

picky

Let the pucks drop; it's hockey season again! And I know you all are so excited, especially because hockey is the least-followed, professional sport in America. [:S] This sort of compares with Linus' annual announcement of the coming of the "Great Pumpkin", doesnt it? LOL Well, at least I know a few others will be thrilled along with me.

For those of you who are interested, the Detroit Red Wings will be playing the St. Louis Blues today over in Sweden in a first-time ever, Swedish season opener honoring all of the Swedes that have infiltrated the NHL over the last 15 years or so. This infiltration has actually been a blessing because it has brought to us some of the greatest hockey talent in the world. In fact, my very own favorite, #5, Wings Captain, Nicklas Lidstrom happens to be a Swede as well.

So, let the puck drop at 3pm Eastern Time today (on Versus), and may the best team win! Hockey's back in town....well, it will be next week. LOL

GO WINGS! [:D]

I love the little animation you have there....except for the blue player up-ending the red player; it should be the other way around! LOL

There, that's MUCH better: I just modified it to look like the Wing was kicking the Blue's arse! -Glenn

post-10177-13819500199978_thumb.gif

I love the little animation you have there....except for the blue player up-ending the red player; it should be the other way around! LOL

There, that's MUCH better: I just modified it to look like the Wing was kicking the Blue's arse! -Glenn

Very clever, but save the original for those usa vs. russia or canada times...

Beware of the Caines!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Giant killers. never count them out.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beating far better treams with prue blood and guts.I can only think of AAron Ward repeatedly vomiting and passing out from a severe blow to the head between periods and coming out to play like a demon in the final period during the Stanley cup run. We are far from the best team. But we will make something from nothing and surprise the big boys. Hope they can put something together this year.

Well, here we go: I think the forum went off-line at least for a while yesterday (Saturday) cuz I tried to leave an update after Friday's game and both the forum and regular Klipsch site would not display. I was glad to seem them back this morning.

Friday afternoon's game from Stockholm between the Blues and the Wings: St Louis 4 Detroit 3

Detroit was outplayed in the corners as that St. Louis team showed just how scrappy they are. They outplayed the Wings for at least 2/3s of the game. The Wings were fast through the neutral zone but they did not gel in either the defensive or offensive zones. Ozzy was pretty good but not as effective as goalie, Chris Mason. Combined with the Blue's persistent shooting, Mason made a huge difference in the game's outcome. The Wings played as if they weren't hungry and still trying to get the feel of the new players and special teams. There certainly seemed to be a few "holes" left by players who are no longer with the winged wheelers: Yiri Hudler comes to mind. Congrats to the Blues. Nice game.

Saturday afternoon's game from Stockholm between the Wings and the Blues: Detroit 3 St. Louis 5

Even if Dan Cleary's denied goal (due to an obvious high-stick) had counted, the Blue's still out-distanced the Wings in scoring yesterday. The Wings appeared to be back in sync through most of the first period, after scoring nearly 3 times. However, things began to fall apart again for Detorit in the 2nd period when the Blues took over the scoring and never looked back. Add to this the fact that someone must have put some Red Bull in goalie Ty Conklin's water bottle because the young man simply woke up and was on fire in the Blue's net; denying neally every puck that came within range for the remainder of the game. Props to Conklin, who played for the Wings last season. At the other end of the ice, Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard was having an awful game as two quick snipers and a dribbler were let in. In fact, Howard allowed two of those 5 goals in less than 10 seconds apart. Howard was anything but impressive and ESPN mentioned right after the game something to the effect: "Here's a man who's a good argument for going back to the minor leagues", in reference to Howard's play. Although Howard was not the sole reason for the Wings loss, his play was very disappointing. The Blues were very aggressive and the game became quite physical at times with roughing penalties occuring on both sides. The Wing's snipers were missing their marks and a lot of the Detorit players took "dumb" penalties at very poor times, thereby leaving their team vulneable. The Blues took good advantage of those opportunities and came out on top for the second game in a row. Congrats again to the Blues. -Glenn

Bingo-Bango: What a great, old-tyme hockey game we had last night at the Joe between two original six teams: The Chicago Blackhawks and the Detroit Red Wings. They had the organist from Detroit's Fox theater there and he played the National Anthem to which the Wing's Karen Newman sang the anthem as usual. But then, the Joe (Joe Louis Arena) used only the organist (instead of the usual, piped-in rock music) to provide music throughout the game between plays for the first two periods. It was like going back in time to when the Wings played hockey at the Olympia Stadium and the Blackhawks played at old Chicago Stadium. Top this off with a mid-first period donneybrook that started just after a face-off between Wings' newly-signed Brad May, who the Wings got to replace the enforcer role left empty by the now-retired Dallas Drake and the Hawks' Radek Smolenak. It wasn't a real big brawl, but it got the juices flowing early. May was "sending a message" to the Hawks and to the league, I suppose. It seemed a bit odd to see ex-Wings Marian Hossa and Tomas Kopecky dressed in Hawks sweaters this year, but it was good to see the guys any way.

The Wings began to gel in the second period after the Hawks' Sharp scored first. They fought off a 5-on-3 advantage for Chicago for 1:53 minutes and kept the Hawks from scoring. This turned the game for the Wings and it looked like the good, old Wings were back on the ice again. I must say that I really do miss Chris Chelios, who is expected to play in the AHL beginning Monday for the Chicago Wolves. I also miss Yiri Hudler, who went back to Russia. The scoring last night was done by some Wings vetrans; as Nick Lidstrom scored first for the Wings mid-way theough the second. Kris Draper scored later in the 2nd joined by Franzen just 1:34 later. The Hawks' Kris Versteeg tried to even things up a bit in the third, but scoring ended for the remainder of the game. It was a great hockey game for both teams. Ozgood was awesome in net for Detroit. Chicago 2, Detroit 3. -Glenn

Karen Newman:

post-10177-13819500880926_thumb.jpg

Wings are 2-3-0: Their worst season start in 9 years. Buffalo had not beat them at home since 2002 and simply mopped the ice with them the other night; 6-2, with Osgood allowing a lot of easy goals. The whole team needs to do a lot better. As Mike Babcock said yesterday; "What they've done up till now is not good enough!" Let's hope the boys in red can turn things around tonight at home against the LA Kings. GO WINGS! - Glenn

Hey Glenn, one question for you buddy--what is hockey? My favorite tour of duty in the Coast Guard was at Grand Haven, Michigan. Coming from Los Angeles, I was in culture shock. I remember wondering where "downtown" was and then realized I was already there. Anyway, when I reported for duty, I was asked if I was a hockey fan. I said "No, I usually just watch sports." Man, I thought they were going to lynch me! But, I actually went to a hockey game in the next town over...Muskegon. The Lumberjacks if I recall, they subsequently relocated to Cleveland (IHL???). Didn't understand the game; but, during one of the breaks, Ethyl The Dynamite Lady climbed into a box and blew it up. That was kinda cool.

BigStewMan: Although, hockey is the least followed professional sport in the US, Folks in Michigan usually take hockey pretty seriously. This is due to many factors; partly because of our very close relationship with our neighbor: Canada and the fact that it gets pretty cold here and many of us had Dad's who made back yard ice rinks for us growing up, so it's part of our heritage. Also, Detroit started in professional hockey early in the 1900's having one of the original six teams (Red Wings), which are followed quite closely by Michiganders. And nearly every sizable city has an ice arena and organized hockey for youths and some for adults.

The Muskegon Lumberjacks are an IHL team that is again located in Muskegon (the original incarnation relocated to Cleveland in 1992 after 32 years). Grand Haven (where you were) isn't very far away from Grand Rapids, which is the home of the NHL Detroit Red Wings' farm team the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins. The Lumberjacks are affiliated with the Griffins. The folks living in western Michigan are ravenous Lumberjacks, Griffins and Wings fans, so it's no wonder they asked you about hockey.

Since you live in So. Cal according to your posts, I am surprised you aren't exposed to hockey a little more than you seem to be, seeing that you are somewhat surrounded by professional hockey teams: The Anaheim Ducks, The LA Kings, to the north, The San Jose Sharks and a little further east, the Phoenix Coyotes.

Lastly: Despite hockey being the least-followed professional sport in the US, there is one professional sports franchise that in some years it continues to successfully out-sell more sports memorabilia and collectables than any other US pro sports team (in any US sport) and has done so for numerous years off-and-on. That would be the Detroit Red Wings.

They have had a rough start this year, because they are a much different team this year due to trades and there have been many key players with early injuries. They'll figure things out; they always do. -Glenn