OT: What is this weapon?

Daddy Dee

That is our weapon! The MK19 and M2 are some of the Army's favorites. We have lots of others like the GAU-19 and LW50MG, we also have Chameleon systems to prevent the detonation of IED's and Reactive Armor plates and Chemical Detection systems check us out at www.gdatp.com

We keep the troops armed with best offensive and defensive gear available so they come back safe. There are posters in the building everywhere emphasizing that the boys overthere are counting on us. We make it right the first time, then we make it better.

We also make the weapons for the A-10 II and AC-130 you should see them in action.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to potatoes,[:P], remember spud guns? You poked the tip into a potato, and pulled out a plug which you'd shoot, cork-gun style. I always thought this could be used in some sort of gourmet meal, where the chef shoots the spud plug through a shower of boiling oil, directly into your mouth.

spud-gun.jpg

That is our weapon! The MK19 and M2 are some of the Army's favorites. We have lots of others like the GAU-19 and LW50MG, we also have Chameleon systems to prevent the detonation of IED's and Reactive Armor plates and Chemical Detection systems check us out at www.gdatp.com

We keep the troops armed with best offensive and defensive gear available so they come back safe. There are posters in the building everywhere emphasizing that the boys overthere are counting on us. We make it right the first time, then we make it better.

Pretty sweet. Spent 14 1/2 years working on the Navy's Aegis weapon system (talk about COMPLEX!). Now, what I work on, I am not even allowed to discuss - especially in a public forum as this.

Here is an old picture of myself aboard one of the DDG-79 (USS Oscar-Austin), an Arleigh Burke class Aegis destroyer (check out that mullet I used to have at the time).

ddg-79-lores.jpg

We also make the weapons for the A-10 II and AC-130 you should see them in action.

Oh boy, have I've ever! I remember doing a fire mission in conjuction with a couple of A-10's. We would fire do a "Battery! One Round!", then an A-10 would fly in right behind our artillery rounds with that vulcan cannon going full tilt! I did not realize just how friggan LOUD those things are when they go off!

That is one bad-*** aircraft! Ugly as hell, but still!

Here is an old picture of myself aboard one of the DDG-79 (USS Oscar-Austin), an Arleigh Burke class Aegis destroyer (check out that mullet I used to have at the time).

ddg-79-lores.jpg

Holy cow, you probably have more hair on your head than everyone else on that ship combined! [:)]

Camp Atterbury is right across the river from where we go camping and canoeing- about 45 south of Indy. They blow stuff up all the time it's pretty cool.

Between Dahlgren (where I used to work), Ft. AP Hill and Quantico - there is enough crap getting blown up around here!

Especially in Dahlgren, when they start test firing those Navel guns. Doze off at work and one of those things go off, wake you right up!

Then in Quanitco, which is just down the road from where I currently work, they are constantly blowing stuff up. I remember one time, I was up at a nearby Panera Bread getting lunch, sitting at one of the outside tables on thier little patio, only to see a couple of jet fighters go streaking by at a pretty high rate of speed, then to hear a really LOUD "ka-WUMP". SOB's were dropping bombs! Even set off a couple of car alarms in the parking lot!

Scared the $#!+ out of this little old lady that was there (obviously not from around this area!)

And of course, Ft. AP. Hill. Even I was responsible for a few of those. [6] (Long live the mighty Artillery!)

Getting back to potatoes,Stick out tongue, remember spud guns? You poked the tip into a potato, and pulled out a plug which you'd shoot, cork-gun style. I always thought this could be used in some sort of gourmet meal, where the chef shoots the spud plug through a shower of boiling oil, directly into your mouth.

A couple of guys at work made a pretty sweet spud-gun. We were firing it out behind the building. Holy crap, we could get some range on that thing! It was also pretty loud. I was just WAITING for the cops to show up on us, especially since we are just right off US Rt. 1).

• Moderators

We went to the park a couple of weeks ago, you can walk through the whole ship, we never covered it all in one day so we plan to go back when it cools off a little. They also have a sub and a bunch of airplanes it's a fun place to visit.

This is some of the 16" shells, I used my grandson for scale !

post-11804-1381950079733_thumb.jpg

Note to potato gun fans- do not use starting fluid- my buddy made one out of sch 80 PVC pipe- shot a nice hole in the neighbors cedar siding house.during drunken Christmas party. neighbor was not amused. Nethier were the police.

My M4 Benelli and my AR15s look pretty sad alongside that bad boy.

Many applications in the swamps....

wwjesse.jpg

Very impressive weapon. However, it's designed to be stand mounted and isn't really practical for handheld use. Even mighty Jesse Ventura was leaning against a hidden post because he couldn't stand up to the recoil. As well, you can't see the car battery on the ground that's powering the gun. It's a chain gun and needs electricity to feed the chain's electric motor.

Sure looked cool onscreen, though!

Skonopa just think what it was like in the old days, 16" guns 2000 pound shells using over 500 pounds of gunpowder to fire 21 miles.

USS Alabama from back in the 40's. http://www.ussalabama.com/about_park.php

I've never been aboard a full-on battleship like that, but I've seen the 16-inch guns as well as the rounds personally. They have/had a few on base at Dahlgren, as well as a section of armour that looked like it was a solid two feet thick, with a hole completely blown clean through it! I've never personally got to see one of those 16 inch guns fire, but I've heard from folks that have (including test firings at Dahlgren). Would make you crap your pants if you were not ready for it!

Now, I have seen 8-inch artillery fire when at Ft. Sill (taken out of service shortly afterwards, in favor of the MLRS). That was pretty darn impressive - could only imagine what the 16-inchers had to of been like!

Oh, and speaking of things getting blown up around here. Just this morning, I was hearing some serious boomage! From my house, while I was getting ready for work! Which is some 20 miles away! I figured the Marines where having some fun up at Quantico - sure enough, I see this little piece in the local paper! [:o]