My 2-Channel rig in the living room - Part Two

Wardsweb

This updates the thread I had back in 2006. I had just build the horns but still needed to veneer them. Well 3 1/2 years later we have moved. Part of the remodel on the new house was to remove the carpet and put down mahogany flooring. While I had the speakers in the garage, it was a perfect time to pull the drivers and finally get them veneered.

I'll start with a refresher on these speakers. Baltic birch and MDF with CNC bracing and kerf MDF sides.

w02.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More to go but they're already looking pretty good.

I'm sorry but I found that funny.... they are only looking "pretty good"?

Freaking gorgeous if you ask me. If you say they only look pretty good, I'm going to really enjoy seeing the Jubilees when you & Travis are done with them. I hope they will at least, be 'acceptable' [;)]

I'm a bit obsessive about stuff. Yes, they look good, but I know they can look even better. With many coats of lacquer I can sand them glass smooth and polish them like a car finish. I hope for a piano gloss finish.

These are the speakers I would love to have Roy run a sweep on.

I don't think Travis wants to go with the high gloss finish on his. The plan for now is to use Deft but the semi-gloss version. The wood will be rich but more wood grain will show, in place of a glass look.

It does look nicer with less clutter. That is the main thing we tried to achieve at our new place; less is more. Having a larger home helped. I also like the clear Nordost cables that almost disappear. Sure beats big black interconnects hanging all over the place.