Dedicated Amp...Would I notice a difference?

bairda

Hi! Long time lurker here on the forums.

I have a dedicated Home Theater (Front Projection with JVC RS1 on 118" screen) with Klipsch on all 7 channels (FL/R : RF-7, C : RC-7, SL/R : RF-3 II, RC: Quintet) and a SVS PB13 Ultra sub. I am currently powering everything with a Denon 3808. I have about $500 left in my budget and I am looking at possibly getting a dedicate amp for the front 3 channels. I use the system mostly as a Home theater (probably a split with 20% music/gaming).

Would my RF's and RC 7 series noticeably benefit from a purchase of a Emotiva XPA-3 @ 200w/channel? I have heard MANY differing opinions. They range from no noticeable difference from my current amp to very noticeable difference to just music (7ch stereo I assume?) to necessary upgrade regardless of what I listen to.

So can someone who has experience in this area give me some guidance?

thanks ahead of time!

-Alex-

Having very power hungry speakers such as you do hooked up to a receiver, even a good one like your 3808, is a lot for it to handle. I think you'll be extremely happy with something like the XPA-3.

Before Emotiva ends their holiday sale I plan to get one of their amps. I've never heard anyone that's regretted getting one, other than they wished they had done so sooner.

BTW, welcome to the forums and killer setup you have there!! [:o]

...Would my RF's and RC 7 series noticeably benefit from a purchase of a Emotiva XPA-3 @ 200w/channel? I have heard MANY differing opinions. They range from no noticeable difference from my current amp to very noticeable difference to just music (7ch stereo I assume?) to necessary upgrade regardless of what I listen to.

Welcome to the Forum, bairda. I listen to a lot of multichannel music (dvd-a/sacd) and having a THX ultra II AVR has allowed me to listen at higher levels without distortion which is what I feel adding the Emotiva will give you especially if you are running towers as side surrounds.

What wuzzzer and tdkamerica said. Even though your Denon is a nice receiver and is claimed to be high current, compaired to the XPA-3, it just does not have the oomph to handle the low impedence dips(2.8 ohms) that the RF-7 and RC-7 have when the spl's go up. If you can afford it, take advantage of the sale before it ends.

Bill

I think Audyssey is better than nothing but I don't rely on it 100%.

I believe the Emotiva amps have a gain control so you'll have to adjust that (probably 1/3 to 1/2 of maximum gain) and then re-run your receiver's speaker calibration so that it balances the output to the front 3 speakers to your others.

I got the XPA-3 in yesterday. Sounds great.

However when I run the Audyssey Multi-eq setup on my Denon 3808 the Front L/R are leveled to -12. Before this they were at -9. Am I loosing anything by having the receiver do the maximum reduction in channel level?

Thanks,

-Alex-

However when I run the Audyssey Multi-eq setup on my Denon 3808 the Front L/R are leveled to -12. Before this they were at -9. Am I loosing anything by having the receiver do the maximum reduction in channel level?

Thanks,
-Alex-

The XPA-3 is probably 3 dB more sensitive than the internal amps in your Denon. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Moderators

Alex, how much of an improvement do you hear with the XPA-3 over your Denon? I know this is subjective but I'm wondering how much sonic improvement I will hear going from 140 watt/ch receiver to a 200 watt/ch external amp. I know it will be an improvement, just curious how much.

Thanks,
-Alex-

Doesn't look like the XPA-3 has gain controls. What you can do is bump your fronts to -9 and reduce your other speakers by -3 from whatever they're currently at. If your surrounds are at -5 change them to -8 for instance.