Turntable suggestions

modoc48

The Technics Jim suggested is definitely sturdy and sounds really good. However, a wait and a pounce with 500.00 to spend can get you a very fine table of several designs. Personally, I am of the isolated belt drive persuasion and quite fond of SME arms.

I'd recommend surveying the market and seeing what a variety of owners have to offer in advice before moving.

All that said, the Technics will not disappoint and will outlast you.

Dave

What about Thornes ?

Best of them are accurate and extremely long lived when paired with the right cartridge. That is all one can expect from any component. After accuracy, you spend money to satisfy a certain learned response.

One who is attempting to simply listen to music rather than discern one tube or cartridge from another can find complete satisfaction in any number of Thorens models.

If you can't, you'll never find it.

Of course, the same can be said for quite a number of tables in the 500.00 range. Even new tables at that price or below will deliver accuracy, though they tend to be rather delicate. One of my favorites of all times was the Stanton Gyropoise. It was about 100.00 brand new and was magnetically suspended, belt driven. The arm was specifically designed for a Stanton 681EEE that was built into it.

Due to a disaster with my normal Grado, I am running a 681EEE on my VPI Scout at the moment, a table that cost over 10 times that amount. It sounds accurate, but probably no better than the old Gyropoise. Main difference is that I can run other cartridges, some of will offer a bit of difference and perhaps do some records better. However, in the main few of them would be significantly more accurate on most records.

With the resurgence of record playing it would be nice of one of the cartridge makers would design and market a table/arm in the same vein as the Gyropoise. Save the guy who just wants accurate playback at a reasonable cost a lot of money and trouble.

Bottom line is don't get carried away with dollars as any guarantee of accuracy. I am the first to admit that turntables and cartridges remain an area where dollars actually count, but that doesn't mean you have to put the kids college fund on the table to find happiness.

Dave

Shameless plug warning> I have an AR-ETL1 with a Premier FT3 tonearm and grado prestige silver cartridge that I'll be putting up for sale soon. Maybe some forum members will chime in with their unbiased opinions of this set-up.

How did you like that grado cart.

duder

The shameless plug department......

The Thorens are really good turntables.... really good.... have had many since the old days.... The only thing I did not like was the constant maintenance, belt replacements, etc. Maybe I was just unlucky, but a TD-125 did last for about 6 years. Should not complain I suppose...

But the issue for me was really that they are made in Switzerland and hence, that's where the parts have to come from....

On the other hand, I finally sold my last Thorens before the internet got all sophisticated and you could find stuff for repairing your original urt tent from Outer Mongolia with nothing more than a click of the mouse and a credit card..... etc. So... I bought a Technics SL 1200MKIII and never looked back. I take that back, sometimes I do with nostalgia, but that 1200 has allowed me to transfer tracks from over 2400 LP's, and other than a couple new M97XE cartridges along the way, has performed flawlessly.

It's still here in the man cave and once every month or two, I'll fire it up and put on one of my few remaining LP's just for nostalgia... [H]

I dont know from experience but a buddy of mine was talking about it a while back he did say they were workhorses and used mainly from djs but they did do great justice, In my opinion if its good enough for a dj, and quality enough for many on the play back systems, then I say go for it I just dont have money to try one out(right now).

duder