Stupid Question on Jubilee

Rudy81

I am just very curious as to how an ALK passive crossover would work with the Jub bass bin, my Trachorns with JBL 2470 drivers and eminence tweeters. Fun to try it out and see what kind of results I would get. Of course the expense is one issue.

I guess based on most comments the Jub bass bin is more efficient and superior to the Khorn bass bin. Can anyone summarize the comparrison between these bass bins? Are the differences that noticeable?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Your also giving up alot without the k402 IMO.

Rudy81, when I put this I didn't know you had already heard the k402, glad you had a chance to hear it.

Myself I love the K402 and have switched back and forth listening with the Forte ll and Cornwall lll and split LaScala tops comparing the mids and highs. They all have that Klipsch sound but by far it was an easy choice.

Bass Reflex in a 1 cu ft box. They don't go very low -- roll off pretty fast starting at 70Hz. I'm getting good gain from my small room so they're solid to 50Hz. Sensitivity of 96dB. Smooth, open and clear with no nasties -- even at absurd volume levels. I want a couple of subs -- but can't decide on what kind I want.

I doubt you can use the universal but he does have an ESN posted on the site for the jubilee. That is what I am using right now. The khorn mid and tweeter may have trouble keeping up with the Jubilee LF. Some of the tractrix horns guys are building around here look pretty good.

What do you mean that the high section would have trouble keeping up? In order to keep asking stupid questions, here is another. What would happen if you connected a Jub bass bin to the woofer section of the ALK universal? Just curious.

I doubt you can use the universal but he does have an ESN posted on the site for the jubilee. That is what I am using right now. The khorn mid and tweeter may have trouble keeping up with the Jubilee LF. Some of the tractrix horns guys are building around here look pretty good.

What do you mean that the high section would have trouble keeping up? In order to keep asking stupid questions, here is another. What would happen if you connected a Jub bass bin to the woofer section of the ALK universal? Just curious.

The quality of the LF is what I was thinking about but also it is more efficient. I can't remember exactly maybe 107db 1w1m. It could be up to 110db 1w1m. I'll dig around see what I can find. If I'm way off on this train of thought someone please correct me. If you had a network that would work with all the drivers it would be worth giving a listen..

AL K could tell you better than anyone. I'm no expert but I know the LF part of the network is measured precisely for the k33 and the Jubilee LF is very different. I once asked what inductor size I would need to use if I wanted to make an old fashioned klipsch style A network for the Jubilee. I was told one 1mh inductor would get me in the 600hz ballpark for the lf. I'm still interested in giving this a try some day.

The quality of the LF is what I was thinking about but also it is more efficient. I can't remember exactly maybe 107db 1w1m. It could be up to 110db 1w1m. I'll dig around see what I can find. If I'm way off on this train of thought someone please correct me. If you had a network that would work with all the drivers it would be worth giving a listen..

AL K could tell you better than anyone. I'm no expert but I know the LF part of the network is measured precisely for the k33 and the Jubilee LF is very different. I once asked what inductor size I would need to use if I wanted to make an old fashioned klipsch style A network for the Jubilee. I was told one 1mh inductor would get me in the 600hz ballpark for the lf. I'm still interested in giving this a try some day.

This is the kind of thing I am interested in trying, at least as a start. Man I hate being ignorant....should have paid more attention in EE. Time to get some books on filter design and theory. Thanks for the help. BTW, I have been in touch with Al and he has been patiently helping me.

Rudy, I know this isn't what you asked about...and it's not the appropriate crossover....but I'm going to tell you anyway [:P]

I have some of Al's ESN networks for the LaScala. I think they are the 600 crossover version but I'm not 100% sure on that. They have a strap on them so they can be biamped. When I first got the Jubilees, I had to wait for something like 5 weeks before the Dx38 was delivered which meant, weeks of nothing. So, being adventurous, I slapped this ESN network on the Jubilee's.

Not the right crossover for not the right speaker...I get that.

Was interesting none the less. I remember having some Neil Diamond playing, all at lower levels. His voice jumped from the woofer to the 402 and back to the woofer. It was a pretty good illustration of how these steeper slopes shut the signal down so quickly. Since they were the wrong crossovers for the job, they didn't blend the sound very well. Still, it was kind of neat seeing a real world application of how these sharper skirts (as I think Al calls them) work.

If you want any more useless information from me, just let me know. [:D]

Hi Rudy,

Attached is the anechoic plot comparing the out of network responses of the Klipschorn and Jubilee LF sections. As you can see, the Jubilee isn't really any more sensitive than the Klipschorn. So, if you wanted, you could use your existing top section without any problem, IOWs, you don't have to worry about the top not being able to "keep up" with the bottom. As for the network, if you have the newer ALK design, the one with the 1.3mH low pass coil with the 48uF primary input cap (two 24uF caps in parallel) -- I think that might actually work better than one might expect.

khjub.pdf

Dean: Thank you. I am not sure which ALK universal I have. I will try to figure out what I have right now. I don't know if this will even work, but the journey has been very interesting and a great learning experience for me. I love to learn and this is a whole new world for me.