OT: Western Digital or Seagate?

SteelerFan

Hard drive reliability jumps back and forth between brands like a yo yo. IBM used to be bad then got bought out by Hitachi. Maxtor used to be good then went bad. Seagate was good then bad then good again. Western Digital used to be mediocre then good then bad then good again. The "good" and "bad" cycle covers a year or so. A famous Russian spaceman once said," American, Russian------all made in Taiwan. Make work with hammer".

JJK

Seagate IMHO...have used both, have had great luck with both...could have changed now, but a few years ago I went to a Tech Expo in Chicago and talked with reps from both...Seagate had a 5 year warranty, but was from manufacture date, while WD was 3 years, but from date of purchase. We always used Seagate in our system builds unless they were not available, then we went to WD.

I got both Seagate and Western digital harddrives and to be honost, I really don't find any real difference in reliability between the both of them now-a-days. I have some that work like a charm and never failed me for years from either manufacture, yet at the same time, I got that occasional unit that just up and dies for no apperant reason. The latest victim is a Seagate 1-TB external FreeAgent Pro. However, they are replacing it under warrenty. The new unit should arrive within the day or two.

When it comes right down to it, get whatever one you can get the best deal on.

When it comes right down to it, get whatever one you can get the best deal on.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Went I was shopping for mine I talked to a few people that I know that are it guys and they said the same thing. I ended up getting a Seagate 1tb internal hd and purchased an external case for it. Almost a year later and no problems with it at all.

Also the comment about checking Newegg, I have always had great service from them.

James

They're both good brands. I prefer Western-Digital these days. Seagate used to be the top dog, IMO, but their quality has dropped. They're still good, just not what they used to be. As long as you stay away from Hatachi or Maxtor, you should be ok.

For internal drives, I use the W-D "RE" series drives. (RE, RE2, etc.) Those are the "RAID Edition" drives that are intended for workstations. The "SE" drives are their low price point drives. I haven't checked lately, but last time I bought some, the RE drives had a 5 year warranty and the SE had a 3 year.

CostCo has the Segate 1.5 TB external desk top for $119 I think. They have a GREAT return policy. I was using mine and the dog ran by, pulling the HD from the table while it was running. Needless to say it was toast. Costco took it back, no questions asked (though the data was lost DUH) and the replacement was less than I paid for the first unit. I have had both drives and they are about equal so where the best deal is......

Oh, BTW, the warranty on the Segate is 5 years.

I have a few of both working right now and think both are good brands. I think the last two hard drives I installed were a 500 GB Seagate which failed after a little over a year I think and I replaced it with a 500 GB Western Digital at that time I thought the quality looked a little better on the Western Digital and it also was a little quieter as well.

As mentioned earlier I think they bounce back an forth as to which one is better but they are both usually good.

It is always best to have anything important to you backed up on a separate hard drive in case one does fail.