OT: College football playoffs?

Daddy Dee

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017228753

Apart from the debate about BCS or college playoff system, I was surprised to see that Congress is taking an interest in this.

My first take is, "Hasn't Congress already messed up enough stuff?"

Just leave football alone.

I suppose these folks think the BCS system isn't likely to change.

I guess the BCS system is s-l-o-w-l-y creaking along, so hopefully the noise about Fed involvement will push them along, and nothing more needed. Since I grew up in Boise and even went to BJC (now BSU) for a year, I've been watching the VERY EXCITING and very well-coached (IMO) BSU Broncos. (I finally stopped misspelling it "Bronchos," since they're not a lung disease.)

They've been undefeated for 2 or 3 seasons now, and the BCS finally put them into a BCS bowl this year. My sense is that it's happenin'. See http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48553&SPID=4061&DB_OEM_ID=9900&ATCLID=204844817

BSU will play TCU in the Fiesta Bowl, at 8:00 p.m. on Monday, January 4, 2010. Broadcast by Fox. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls06/bowls?game=fiesta. This is given as ESPN's take, though this particular game was 2-3 yrs. ago:

"Chris Peterson is now the hottest coach in college football. Just check out the plays he called with the game on the line: Down 42-35 in OT and he calls a fourth-down halfback option pass that goes for a TD. After that, he goes for the win, hitting a two-point conversion on a Statute of Liberty play with Ian Johnson taking it in for the win. And can you believe the game-tying play at the end of regulation of this game? It reminded me of the hook and ladder in the Miami-San Diego playoff game several years ago. On fourth-and-18 with time running out, Peterson dialed up this phenomenal play to get a tying TD to force overtime. Boise State QB Jared Zabransky completed the pass to Drisan James who pitched the ball to Jerard Rabb who sprinted for a 35-yard TD."

well, i think the BCS sucks; BUT if there is anyone who can turn bad to worse--it's congress. althought this isn't without precedent, as john kerry got congress invovled in baseball a few years ago.

i would think that there are one or time more important things that they should be considering though.

Wow, so many comments could be said, but that would turn it into a political thread and maybe upset some on the left[6]. I will just say let the bowl games begin, especially the Orange bowl. Let's go Hawks. I think there should be some sort of playoff system though.

Of course, every round adds a game. In football that is no small matter. Two rounds with the top four teams would only add one game for the championship. If you want to really stretch it, 8 teams over 3 rounds. Use the current BCS bowl sites as mentioned above. Maybe USC would quit whining. (Not likely) And perhaps some deserving teams (eg, Auburn in...was that '06 or 07? and Boise) would get their shot.

• 2 months later...