Plasma Maintenance

fwphoto

I just got a plasma HDTV & am wondering if there is a maintenance regimen that anyone follows to keep their plasma from suffering burned in images. There is a menu item that runs a white bar horizontally & vertically across the screen but no real guidence how often it should be used & for how long at a time.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but now I notice ever scrolling box on CNN, black letter boxes & pillars, & every channel "bug" in the bottom right corner of every show it seems. Sheesh!

TIA,

Frank W.

you're mostly being paranoid. I just got a samsung plasma about a week ago and was also paranoid. watch stuff full screen when you can ..but don't stress if you can't. There is a difference between image retention and burn-in. burn-in is virtually permanent and takes a LOT of something constantly being displayed over time. Image retention is normal and will stick there until those pixels are used again. so run the scrolling bars for a bit and you should be good to go. or just watch full screen content.

it should also become less and less prevalent after the set breaks in and the phosphors calm down. reducing your contrast will help during this time.

2 Year owner of Vizio 37" plasma, no maintenance, no retention or burn in. Like it better thean the cheap(er) Vizio LCD 32 for the kids gaming but the new Vizio 55" LCD LED is kick A**. Camparing all to the Mits 62" WD62725 DLP I had.

With normal viewing you will be fine, you don't need to do anything special. The white bar in your menu is more for correcting problems usually in commercial type use where a display has the same image shown continuously sometimes even 24/7. The white bar can be used to correct burn in but is not necessary for maintenance. With normal TV viewing with an almost always changing picture you should not have any problem.

Burn in is almost non existent today, burn in is basically permanent although it can be corrected with tools like the white bar.

IR "image retention" is what you would encounter if anything and it is not a problem. IR will usually only be seen on a completely black or white screen and if it is seen it will disappear with just a minute or so of normal TV viewing.

Even the human eye has IR, really you don't need to be so concerned, IR in plasma's made today is really no worse than IR in the old CRT TV's we've all been watching for many years now.

No maintenance other than just plain common sense is necessary. But most like too "break in" their new plasma for the first 200 hours by keeping the settings to the dim side and staying away from static images as much as possible during the first 200 hours.

But don't worry a plasma TV is as maintenance free and trouble free as any TV and should last you a long time.

most brands have a antiblur technology to combat burn in. Also most plasmas should be broken in the first 200 hours.

Never leave anything static on the screen for a hour or more

On a side not, I was wanting to pull the trigger on a samsung plasma 850/860 series, but heard about this terrible buzzing noise they make. anyone experience this?

On a side not, I was wanting to pull the trigger on a samsung plasma 850/860 series, but heard about this terrible buzzing noise they make. anyone experience this?

My Panasonic is absolutely silent. I think the buzzing complaints I have seen have always come from Samsung and Pioneer plasma displays. I think it may also be in relation to altitude, it seems most of the complaints I have seen about buzzing always come from people in higher altitudes.

i have it ..but it's only noticeable when a person's head is smack dab in the middle of the panel from the main listening position ...which would be me. it's no louder than my ceiling fan ..or the dishwasher ..or the fridge when it kicks on ..or morgan when she decides to chatter in the middle of a movie. it's really only audible when there's no other sound being played and certainly not worth sending the tv back.

also, you can download and burn this dvd to run at night or during the day when no one is watching the tv. it flashes full screen color in a loop and will help expedite the break in process. it's also an effective tool for wiping away IR since it's full screen and stimulates the phosphors.http://www.eaprogramming.com/

All good advise.I picked up an LG 60 inch plasma for Christmas,better than the 55 lcd I had before.I have a 42 in plasma in the bedrm and always felt it had a superior picture to my 42 lcd in the garage.