Corns are freaking huge!

carbon summit

I bought a pair of Cornwalls tonight. 1979s in great shape other than being painted black. They are C-BRs and overall in great shape, especially if you remember they are 30 years old.

One of the K-77 tweeters doesn't work so I'll need to replace the diaphragms in both of those so they match I'd guess other than that that are ok. I'll probably be doing something with the 30 year old crossovers. I have an email in to Bob Crites for my crossover and tweeter issues so that will all be fixed soon enough.

So I've officially joined the Heritage family now. I really didn't realize these would be so much bigger than my Forte IIs!!!! Even with the one bad tweeter and the speakers set really without much thought to placement they sound good. I'll probably put them down in the basement where they can breath a little better. They have a really authoritative presence, a wide open feeling that I think would sound good in a bigger room than my living room.

post-33518-13819526487264_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Congratulations they do sound different than the forte, but in the long run when you hear any Klipsch they all do have a certain sound that is similar. Is it the horn sound I don't know, to me they all have that live sound.

Have fun you going to like the Corns.

I remember back when I met my wife and showed her my apartment..... Pair of black K'horns with a pair of JBL 4313 monitors stacked on top. Her words? "Oh My!!". They are big!! Next were a pair of really nice cherry Klipschorns and LaScala's for the master bedroom which, of course.... are hers.

So having achieved the WAF factor rating of 9.0 over the years, when I eventually "slthered" the Cornwalls and the Belles into the mix, SWMBO did not say much... [H]

You two are funny, there not that big. Big Smile

I had a preconceived idea of how much bigger the Cornswalls would be than my Forte IIs. My idea was wrong!
So when I saw them for the first time it was a lot more than I expected.

As far as Cornwall vs Forte IIs I really have not spent enough time with the Cornwalls to decided. 30 year old crossovers and one tweeter that isn't working at the moment to probably not a fair time to compare.

In light of the fact my Forte IIs are 1990s I'm considering having Bob Crites freshen up the crossovers in my front pair and my Academy too. Then the thought of titanium tweeters for all three in the front seems like a good idea...

It never ends!

My gf came with me when I picked up my '79 Corns this summer. She laughed and called me crazy when she saw them. I was also mildly shocked. [:D]

It's funny, one of my tweeters didn't work properly either. What I discovered, however, was that cranking the receiver a bit would turn the thing on, and I could then return to lower levels with it continuing to work. It then somehow fixed itself. I also just recently installed caps from Bob. Took about an hour for both and they sound great. Do it!

My gf came with me when I picked up my '79 Corns this summer. She laughed and called me crazy when she saw them. I was also mildly shocked. Big Smile

It's funny, one of my tweeters didn't work properly either. What I discovered, however, was that cranking the receiver a bit would turn the thing on, and I could then return to lower levels with it continuing to work. It then somehow fixed itself. I also just recently installed caps from Bob. Took about an hour for both and they sound great. Do it!

I was pretty sure it worked when I auditioned them but I didn't stick a towel or something in the mid, just put my hand over it and put my head up to it.
I checked the connections and it tried to work a few times then nothing. I checked it with a multimeter and it ohms as open so maybe it just gave up the ghost when I got it home.

I have not done much solding so I was going to just send both my tweeters and both crossovers to Bob and have them take care of it. I know since its on a piece of wood vs a circuit board I'd probably be ok on the crossovers but I think there is some soldering on the diaphragm replacements and I'm not sure I want to risk messing them up. Any average Joes with no real soldering experience take a crack at tweeters and find its pretty easy?

On Bob's website they have some how to tutorials and it doesn't look that bad but there is something to be said about having the guy that knows what he is doing do it and knowing its done right.

But on the otherhand there is something to be said about the pride in doing it yourself too so I'll wait for some responses and see what others offer for advice.

I was able to replace the diaphragms in my Fortes within 20-30 minutes using Bob's step-by-step instructions. The hardest thing was getting the magnet back inside the little opening that it comes out of.

If I change to titanium tweeters in my front two Forte IIs and my Academy I'll probably try it myself since there is no soldering involved on those but the K-77s in the Cornwalls there is a little soldering so I'm concerned there. Looks pretty easy but I'd hate to ruin one trying.

After looking at the instructions again I might just take a run at it. The diaphragms are $48 ($24 each) and having Bob install them is $30 ($15 each) so I guess I'd save enough I could ruin one and still break even or a little ahead. Also the shipping would be much cheaper just ordering the crossover parts and diaphragms vs shipping two crossovers and two tweeters to and from Bob's shop so I'd save some there too.

One of the guys at work has a nice solder gun, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and do it myself. What the worst that could go wrong?!?! [:P]

One nice thing would be to have the crossover tested by Bob, I know it says its rare that crossovers need anything but just my luck!

These prices are for parts (capacitors), labor and testing. If, during testing, we find that another part such as an inductor or autotransformer needs replacing, we would contact you. It is extremely rare that the crossovers need anything other than new capacitors to put them back into spec.

Congrats on the new speakers.... [H]

It has always been the other way around for me with my gf, she wants me to get K-Horns but with no good corners or room for them I can't. She fell in love with them the first time see heard them at the store. It's great to be able to listen to all the Heritage speakers in one location and be able to see the size of them.

James