Remind me again why we keep importing propducts from China?

J.4knee

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the Chinese Government pegs the Yuan artificially to the US Dollar, there by proping up the value of the US dollar against the Yuan (which otherwise would price Chinese goods right out of the market) and their value of the US National Debt that they are holding. Only person to blame are the US people with credit card debt, the US President and the US Congress.

The saddest thing is that when the Chinese people are able to purchase the Items that we currently have made there , and their economy is self sufficient..................they will tell the US - bye, bye..........

We will /do not have Any Manufacturing base in the US now, so we will have to rebuild it- just like at the start of WW II.

The Problem is that , by then most if now all of the Engineers and Folks who designed these systems will be gone and we will not have the Education Base available to rebuild or re tool ......................Mark my words folks...................

Welcome to the world of outsourcing... Unfortunately many countries are bieng hit now.

Many companies here are either going eastern europe or China. Cheep Cheep products whos quality sometimes just does not cut it. But they do learn and up the quality standards then there is no reason not to buy from them and your own manufacturing base is no longer attractive.

Many of the things here are now German engineered and not German made, it is a shame to see companies who were there before the war closing up and going under because they cannot produce cheap enough now.

I believe Bill H. has a point, the problem is will we be able to keep up with them then??

Even the Palladium P-37F is manufactured in China. It is stamped on the packings.

The P-39F is manufactured in the U.S.

Jack

Yup only the flagship Palladium is made in Hope USA. The rest are unfortunately oursourced.

The P-39F is a thing of beauty.

No not quite that simple. Take Traeger Smokers for example. A profitable company who chose to outsource its manufacturing to China to improve profits. Consumer cost did not change but product reliability changed for the worse. It is not like we are buying Chinese products developed and designed there, they are for the most part only built there under contract from foreign companies. This process has gutted our manufacturing base and produced inferior quality products in many cases. This practice is a product of the disposable era and it is one area the US Govt should be involved and it is unfortunately turning a blind eye to the problem and encouraging the practice. Since China artificially deflates the value of its currency, the only option we have left is to levy import duties on the products once they hit our shores to negate the affect and benefit of this practice.

"Remind me again why we keep importing propducts from China?" Not to be too simplistic but it's simply this: They have the products we want and we have the money to pay for them. That's a good position to be in.

Thanx, Russ

Well sort of but more like we will make it cheaper and cheaper than anyone on the planet.

The consumer is the only one that has any control over researching the products that they purchase, or at least reading the made in label when they're in Wally World. If any of you are waiting for our government to do anything, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, then you need to adjust your medication and stop watching the Wizard of Oz. Follow the money and it will always lead to the answers and the trade agreements that have been made, paid those involved, with no regard to the long term economic fall out it will create, here at home. The manufacturing facilities that I choose to deal with are constantly faced with making decisions on buying cheaper ( and I don't just mean the price ) import materials over US made, and the bottom line is that it costs me more to purchase their modular units than others on the market, but that's a choice that I'm willing to make, and to explain to my customers. The other part of the problem has to do with balancing workers rights and reasonable wages for a given job. Many companies have failed due to common labor getting paid 30 per hour to push a broom and that dog won't hunt! IMHO[:@]

Hate Chinese imports if you will. Their unique blended

economy is capitalism’s worst enemy: a directed free market. Their industries

are guided, directed and targeted at valuable, lucrative and growing markets.

But if they were not, it would be

somebody else. India,

Mexico, Canada,

Korea, Taiwan

and Eastern Europe are all capable of providing the US

with cheap goods. Not with the same

incredibly low cost or efficiency perhaps, but capable nonetheless. Worse,

cheap manufacturing does not have to

even go to Mexico,

the workers are dying to come here!

Deprive yourself of quality goods from China

if you wish. Your drop in the bucket will not

stem the floodtide of inexpensive goods into the US

or Canada. It action

will only raise your own personal cost of living. You cannot spend enough to

save GM. The auto giant must save itself.

And, it will always be so. Rome,

in her glory days, was awash with imports and labor from less powerful

countries. The most powerful currency of that time was the Roman army. It

bought, stole and enslaved tons of cheap goods and labor from conquered

neighbors. Romans used that military power to build great cities, with sound

infrastructures and incredible highways. Their highways endure to this day. But

Roman Senators did not make Rome’s

roads. They imported, often by force, the labor and materials. Today, we buy

it.

At the risk of the subject mater going south in this thread.....

My girlfriend is from Flint, MI. ....i.e.- a big union town. A couple weeks ago I yanked out of our local newspaper an article that said that babysitters (aka - Child Caregivers) in that area are now required to join a union.

Now is that a bunch of garbage of what?

The direction this thread goes from here is.....well.......

When I was in my 20's and more of a rebel I used to work in a department store (stereos, guns, sporting goods, automotive....all the fun stuff). Occasionally a customer would come in ask if XX product was made in America. After telling them its price and answering "yes" or "no" I would add "Americans want a lot of money for what they do." Not once did anyone try to retort that.

They really nasty ones would ask if XX handgun was made in America. I would answer "Yes, it is."............."South America." The gun in question was made in Brasil.