Vinyl Guru's.............HELP

artto

This is embarrassing. Me needing help with vinyl. [:|]

I need an LP that has no grooves on one side or a test record that has an uncut/pressed area on it so I can better test anti-skating.

I thought I had a test record with this sort of thing but after looking I can't find one. So I'm thinking I must have simply come across an LP (that is still somewhere in my collection) that is recorded only on one side.

Any quick ideas come to mind?

Just checked my test records, sorry no luck there. I do have a record that is un-pressed on one side, I remember thinking it was strange, no tracks, no label, so I guess it wasn't a mistake. Where to start looking is the problem.

I too have a record that is blank on one side, but I think I loaned to to Oldenough! LOL No! For the life of me, I can't remember which one it is, either. Sorry.

Dennie

This is embarrassing. Me needing help with vinyl. Indifferent

I need an LP that has no grooves on one side or a test record that has an uncut/pressed area on it so I can better test anti-skating.

I thought I had a test record with this sort of thing but after looking I can't find one. So I'm thinking I must have simply come across an LP (that is still somewhere in my collection) that is recorded only on one side.

Any quick ideas come to mind?

I had to go to two used record shops before I found an anti skating test track. I finally found a Shure & Popular Electronics test LP's. My antiskate was way off. Test LP helped.

There are a few on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHURE-TRACKABILITY-TEST-RECORD-TTR-101-STEREO-CART-LP_W0QQitemZ230425712327QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Records?hash=item35a67156c7

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHURE-CARTRIDGE-TEST-RECORD-LP-SEALED_W0QQitemZ320474503049QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item4a9dc4d789

Art, I suggest you cross-check any results using an ungrooved LP against the tonearm maker's recommended setting and other tests you run across. I found the two settings (blank LP and manufacturer's) differed on my arm.

Also, does your arm/cart strongly skate inward at the beginning of a record? Mine did, so I finally gave up and set the anti-skating high enough to keep it from doing that. That setting didn't match either the blank LP or the arm instructions.

I haven't tried this, but someone has suggested "Using the anti-skating mechanism provided on your tonearm, adjust the amount of anti-skate until the Bias Setting tracks on side 1 of the Hi Fi News and Record Review test record produce a clean, undistorted signal in both channels. Buzzing in the right channel indicates that more anti-skating force is required, whereas buzzing in the left channel indicates that less anti-skating force is required. "

I like this idea, too: "You can see gross errors in anti-skate by looking at the stylus. If you shine a light2_bing.gif on the front of the tonearm while playing a record, you will be able to see whether the stylus is centered in the stylus holder. If the stylus is biased to one side or another while playing a record, then the anti-skate is way off."

However, stylus/cantilever deviation is also used in aligning the cantilever, but in a different way from setting the anti-skate. In alignment, you have to stop the LP and disable the anti-skate, in order to align with a protractor. I don't like to align a cantilever with the anti-skate on, because it will deviate inward. So, I disable the A/S, align the cart, and then re-enable the A/S.

Hope this helps.

I have one, it is a YORKSHIRE #27012, RCOA Stereo Systems Test Record, it is touted as "the Record Club of America has created the definitive test record."

Test number eight on Side one is Anti-skating test. The announcer on this recording somehow reminded me of "Dragnet".

I used this just a few weeks ago and seemed to work pretty good. The best thing I have done in a while was to adjust/set-up my turntable. The re-alingment of the cartridge and level of the tone arm made a big differance. I used a couple different protractors from vinylengine.com. Great site.

Art, I suggest you cross-check any results using an ungrooved LP against the tonearm maker's recommended setting and other tests you run across. I found the two settings (blank LP and manufacturer's) differed on my arm.

Also, does your arm/cart strongly skate inward at the beginning of a record? Mine did, so I finally gave up and set the anti-skating high enough to keep it from doing that. That setting didn't match either the blank LP or the arm instructions.

I haven't tried this, but someone has suggested "Using the anti-skating mechanism provided on your tonearm, adjust the amount of anti-skate until the Bias Setting tracks on side 1 of the Hi Fi News and Record Review test record produce a clean, undistorted signal in both channels. Buzzing in the right channel indicates that more anti-skating force is required, whereas buzzing in the left channel indicates that less anti-skating force is required. "

I like this idea, too: "You can see gross errors in anti-skate by looking at the stylus. If you shine a light2_bing.gif on the front of the tonearm while playing a record, you will be able to see whether the stylus is centered in the stylus holder. If the stylus is biased to one side or another while playing a record, then the anti-skate is way off."

However, stylus/cantilever deviation is also used in aligning the cantilever, but in a different way from setting the anti-skate. In alignment, you have to stop the LP and disable the anti-skate, in order to align with a protractor. I don't like to align a cantilever with the anti-skate on, because it will deviate inward. So, I disable the A/S, align the cart, and then re-enable the A/S.

Hope this helps.

"Art, I suggest you cross-check any results
using an ungrooved LP against the tonearm maker's recommended setting
and other tests you run across. I found the two settings (blank LP and
manufacturer's) differed on my arm." Yes, this is what I'm trying to do ~ I can't seem to find a "grooveless" track any where, LOL.

"Also, does your arm/cart strongly skate
inward at the beginning of a record? Mine did, so I finally gave up
and set the anti-skating high enough to keep it from doing that. That
setting didn't match either the blank LP or the arm instructions." Not really, it's mainly doing it intermitently on a recording I really like (Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond) and I don't recall having this problem before, but maybe that was with the Shure V15.

"You can see gross errors in anti-skate by looking at the stylus. If you shine a light2_bing.gif on the front of the tonearm while playing a record, you will be able to see whether the stylus is centered in the stylus holder". This one makes me laugh (no offense Larry). Have you ever tried doing this with a Decca Jubilee?

As others have suggested the Shure test records, I have one for the V15 but there isn't a blank grooveless track on mine. Perhaps I have another older version thats misplaced.

The rest of you....keep the ideas coming. I'm thinking that maybe the blank side disc is one I got at a CES show, a pre-release of something, like maybe Reference Recordings or one of the other audiophile companies might have put out. If not I guess I'll just get one of those Clarity recordings Gary mentioned and kill two birds with one stone.

Wow. I have 4 test records and none have an anti-skating test track. I'm pretty sure I used to have the Shure LP but I must have given it away. I would have gladly sent it to you. If I were you, I'd follow Larry's good advice.

Good luck.

That's funny Gary. I thought exactly the same thing of my collection. I could swear I have an older Shure Audio Obstacle Course that had the grooveless track but for the life of me I can't find it. I have a new, sealed Shure V-15 test record but the cover doesn't say anything about a grooveless or anti-skating track so I don't want to open it for now. I must have a dozen "test" records and none of them have a grooveless track either. I guess I'll just buy a few of the older Shure test records on Ebay and see what I come up with, as well as one of those Clarity recordings you mentioned.

artarama.............is that an old Morgan I see on your avatar? Stick out tongue

Artto it's a Bugatti.

[;)] Thanks

How about those new Bugatti Veyron, eh?

Hope this helps.

Thanks Larry. Yes, I do all of that stuff, except the "shine a light" thing. Have you ever tried to do that with a Decca Jubilee? (LOL). Now I just need to find a record that has a large area with no grooves which I could swear I have, somewhere. GRRR

Do you have a copy of Frank Sinagra's Nice n Easy? Everybody should [;)]

IIRC, at work so can't look, it has a huge blank space on one side or both. Sure it has a groove to take the needle to the lable, but I think the grooves are far enough apart that you could put in between.

HTH, Rich