A Mistake Changing the TYPE Of Capacitors In Old Klipsch Speakers

ka7niq

Guest David H

search engines, who uses this forum for free advertising, IMHO

Amy from Klipsch warns about this in her post,

Look who is talking, you have a hot link in your system profile to your roof cleaning business. Don't play innocent.

Who is calling the kettle black now...... Pot to Kettle calling Kettle.

Ill bet the pot is at least Living in the Midrange.

Dave.

Guest David H

Living In The Mid range' has nothing to do with upgrades and modifications,

That all depends on if you are running an upgraded midrange. Doesnt it?

I am deifinately Living in the Midrange. I am certain you are as well. What is it going to take to get you to admit it.

What prompted you to go after ALK, he has a right to have an opinion as well, and knows a heck of alot more about crossovers than you do. Stick with me you'll have much better chances.

Dave

LOL, Posting "Living In The Mid range' has nothing to do with upgrades and modifications, and why do you constantly change the topic of the thread, as well as the title ? Maybe TRY to "protect your crossover and capacitor selling friend" from search engines, who uses this forum for free advertising, IMHO

I will tell you what, if I want my roof cleaned, I will call you for advice. If I need crossover advice I will call DeanG, ALK, Bob Crites or one of the many other qualified forum members.

You really need to start living in the Midrange.

Dave.

OK, call who you want for advice ? Why not try Klipsch for advice, maybe call and ask for Roy Delgado, or the engineers who designed your speakers ?

Oh, I KNOW, the resident "Guru's" know more then Klipsch Engineers, right ? LOL When any of them hold US Patents on speaker design, please let me know ? I swear, someimes this Forum can be like Ray Charles, driving Stevie Wonder around, LOL I will heed advice from Roy Delgado, or any Klipsch Engineer first.

Guest David H

LOL I will heed advice from Roy Delgado, or any Klipsch Engineer first.

Good point, I will add Roy to the list. Dean, Bob, ALK and Roy.

I wonder if Roy is Living in the Midrange? Ill bet he is!

I think Roy may have also designed some of those folded bass bins you like so much.

Dave. I'll be right back, my Popcorn is almost done.

Certainly not wanting to egg things on here but I do have a question. One strong opinion here is to keep the capacitors as close to stock as possible. At the sametime the tweeter diaphragms in the cornwalls have been changed to a Crites. From all that I have heard that changes the sound, and imho, the voicing. Looking for a brief Education,

Thanks in advance, Happy Easter (that may break the forum rules)

search engines, who uses this forum for free advertising, IMHO

Amy from Klipsch warns about this in her post,

Look who is talking, you have a hot link in your system profile to your roof cleaning business. Don't play innocent.

Who is calling the kettle black now...... Pot to Kettle calling Kettle.

Ill bet the pot is at least Living in the Midrange.

Dave.

Get a GRIP dude,I can HARDLY clean roofs outside of Tampa, and NEVER have I written any business off my link. But I have helped plenty of fellow audiophiles in other places, by telling them HOW to clean their own roofs, for free. And, my phone number is on there, in case anyone wants to call and talk audio. I have met a few audiophiles here on Klipsch that way. There is a BIG difference in advertising on the forum when you are selling crossovers and Capacitors to all parts of the world. Every time a crossover seller posts, it is one big advertisement for what they do, or sell.

Go through my posts dating way back to 2002, you will NEVER see me selling or promoting my services on this forum. ALL my posts are audio related.

Wow, you are really grasping at straws now, are you one of the shills Amy from Klipsch speaks about ? Instead of keeping with the thread topic, you change the topic and post title every chance you get, and launch personal attacks on me as well. I have a right to my opinion, and you have the opportunity to question it. That you change the topic and title of this thread constantly indicates to me you are either protecting a seller of crossovers and components, or maybe are that same Person yourself ? WHY do you keep changing this threads title ? Maybe because you feel this information and my experiences may be Hurting sales of capacitors and crossovers ? Why ELSE would you do it, is there not room for any other experience that may not fit the illusion you "Need" some special crossover or capacitor ? IF you don't like this thread, may I respectfully suggest you find another, or simply start your own ? Google has indexed this thread already, so the public and other Klipsch Owners will be the final judge of it, and it will live on the Internet for years,and be pulled up by Klipsch owners confused about the "need" to "improve" their crossvers and capacitors. It present a different point of view, no more, no less.

Guest David H

Certainly not wanting to egg things on here but I do have a question. One strong opinion here is to keep the capacitors as close to stock as possible. At the sametime the tweeter diaphragms in the cornwalls have been changed to a Crites. From all that I have heard that changes the sound, and imho, the voicing. Looking for a brief Education,

Good question, and I don't have a good answer for you. Sorry

Dave.

Guest David H

Ka7niq, I have got some things I need to take care of, would it be ok to pick this back up at say 5pm pacific?

Thanks, In the mean time try Living in the Midrange.

Dave.

My diapraghms were bad, and some here suggested them to me. In retrospect, I really wish I had not bought them, because I plan to sell the Cornwall II's.

Many buyers cringe at the thought of non stock Klipsch Parts in the Corn II's. In many buyers eyes, my Cornwalls are but a tinker toy now, I have seriously hurt the re sale of my speakers! If I had it to do over, I would have bought STOCK Klipsch diapraghms from Klipsch, and NEVER mentioned I have been inside the Cornwalls.. One guy said " if you changed the tweeter insides, how do I know they wre done right, and what ELSE have you done" ? I prefer some other speakers i own to the Corn II's, and they need a new home, just having trouble finding one!

My diapraghms were bad, and some here suggested them to me. In retrospect, I really wish I had not bought them, because I plan to sell the Cornwall II's.

Many buyers cringe at the thought of non stock Klipsch Parts in the Corn II's. In many buyers eyes, my Cornwalls are but a tinker toy now, I have seriously hurt the re sale of my speakers! If I had it to do over, I would have bought STOCK Klipsch diapraghms from Klipsch, and NEVER mentioned I have been inside the Cornwalls.. One guy said " if you changed the tweeter insides, how do I know they wre done right, and what ELSE have you done" ? I prefer some other speakers i own to the Corn II's, and they need a new home, just having trouble finding one!

If you feel that way about them, get the originals from Klipsch and put them back in. I'll send you my old diphragms from my K-77M tweets if if you will stop complaining about it.They don't cost that much. I can send you some old crossover caps, too.

LOL, Posting "Living In The Mid range' has nothing to do with upgrades and modifications, and why do you constantly change the topic of the thread, as well as the title ? Maybe TRY to "protect your crossover and capacitor selling friend" from search engines, who uses this forum for free advertising, IMHO. Amy from Klipsch warns about this in her post, as well as using phoney profiles to shill for crossover and capacitor parts seller on Klipsch Forum.

Amy/Klipsch does not want the forum used for soliciting, and as hard as this is to believe, neither do Bob, Al or myself. At any rate, you're clearly misrepresenting the content of her post.

It my opinion it is best to buy stock replacement Capacitors from Klipsch, if possible ? If not, as audiophile I share ERSE website because they make decent quality replacement capacitors, IF Klipsch can not supply them.

I wish you would stop using the Klipsch forum to advertise for Erse and B&W.

Guest David H

Living in the midrange will resume in 5 minutes, now is the time to get your snacks.

There will be an intermission from our sponsors shortly.

Please enjoy the show, and keep Living in the Midrange.

Dave.

"One must remember, that PWK and Roy Delgado are talented engineers, PWK was holder of many patents, before he was taken from us. Do you really think that the Klipsch engineers did not account for the Mylar and Electrolytic caps in their anechoic chamber testing and voicing?"

The electrical differences and sonic characteristics imparted by different types of capacitors do not show up on anechoic FR plots. When it comes to ESR, we're talking mOhms here, not ohms. Turning your head while listening, changing your listening position, moving your speakers -- all have significantly greater impact on the sonic signature or "voicing" of the loudspeaker. Mylars do an admirable job and keep cost down, which is why Klipsch and just about every other loudspeaker company uses them.

You reported that when you changed out your old Mylars for new ones, the mids of your EVs came forward. This is not surprising to me or anyone else around here -- except you of course. Basically, you got them back to where they're supposed to be, and you don't like them. What I believe is that you just don't like the sound of horns.

I've seen Delgado at work, and I have it on good authority that he keeps a secret stash of Kimbers behind his workbench.

Here is some things I have found out by re doing crossover capacitors in many speakers, Klipsch included.

Replacing old electrolytics with low ESR Poly caps changes the sound, not ALWAYS for the better.

It depends on the loudspeaker.

A B&W engineer told me the charecteristics of the caps they used in the Matrix 801 were taken into account for.

Bowers is smart, he doesn't want people mucking with his networks. I think he especially didn't want you messing with them. Come to think of it, I don't like anyone messing with mine either. You can mess with Bob's and Al's, I don't think they care.

Changing caps will change the sound, but not always for the better.

It depends on the loudspeaker. It also depends on preference -- it's all subjective.

Floyd Toole has shown if we are to make a mistake in a speakers response, we should accept a DIP, vs a Peak!

I have no idea what that has do with ESR, and I have a feeling you don't either.

I have deliberately placed a bunch of caps in parellel to get really low ESR, with terrible results , much of the time.

Yeah, don't do that, the heat from the iron damages the film.

It is my opinion, the paper in oil caps have high ESR, and that is what we are hearing.

I've built a few dozen Type As, AAs and Bs using Jensen PIOs. Reviews were mixed, and a handful came back to me asking that I build something else for them (using polypropylenes).

I would bet my life that if we took a Mylar Cap with exact same ESR and values, and did a double blind A B test, it will sound the same.

I would bet your life that if we took an old Mylar and compared it to a new Mylar, the old Mylar would measure bad and the new Mylar would measure good -- and sound better (to everyone except you).

PLENTY great sounding speakers have Electrolytic caps in them.

I know of four.

I do believe it possible to "TUNE" a speaker by playing with different caps!

Leave that to us, because whenever you do it -- it sounds "like chit".

But it is cap Value and ESR, not TYPE, we should be concerned with.

ESR is tied to TYPE. Honest.

It is true that some loudspeakers which were originally loaded with electrolytics, don't respond well to polypropylenes or even Mylars. However, this is not case where Klipsch is concerned.

You have the worst case of audionervosa I've ever encountered.