modding Jolida CD

winchester21

My answer is real easy, NONE. I want some new tubes to serve two purposed, first as set of spares and two, if I can find some better tubes at a reasonable cost I will purchase and use the existing as spares. For lending me some tubes, I wouldn't like to do that, I would rather purchase out right, I would trust your judgement and opinion. It's a crap shoot anyway you look at it.

Thanks you Kind Sir

CB

Do you want to pull on your stogy or have some fun. Me, I'm in favor of fun.

Look
I have an Ah 99 tube player not a Jolida. How would I know what sounds
good unless I had one and rolled some tubes in and out. Plus, for all I know ,you only listen to Neil Diamond and 16th Century Japanese parakeet music. Since I only listen to The Fugs my idea of a roll may not match your jelly.

I've sold exactly 4 tubes on this forum, so I'm not building a clientele or anything here. Relax, boogie on down right this minute with some Walkin Blues (oops, wrong thread) and find out what the Jolida, not Thebes, will do for you.

Hell it took, Marvel about two years to actually try out some 6DJ8's I sent him, only to find out his system was missing something all along.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you just said. I'm not sure if I could really hear the very suttle differences between tubes, remember I'm an old fart with bad hearing. If I could improve the sound and end up with a spare set of tubes, I'd be happy as hell.

CB

CB, I don't know what rolling in the Jolida will do but my old, 40 years around airplanes, 10 thousand flight hour ears heard a substantial difference when I rolled the small signal tubes on the VRD in a really crappy room.

I plan on changing out the Tercel, Peach and Jolida one at a time to check them over time. Heck, unless I am wrong, a small amount of money invested in differing tubes can be swapped out thru all my equipment.

Hell it took, Marvel about two years to actually try out some 6DJ8's I sent him, only to find out his system was missing something all along.

You DID have to bring that up, didn't you?

The Merlin was transformed to a more magical preamp when I replaced the JAN Philips 6922 with an Amperex 6DJ8. My ears aren't bad, but they are 60 years old, and the difference is AMAZING.

Bruce

My ears are only 28 years old and the 6dj8 thube in bruces merlin sounds rediculous, as in I'm surpised I didn't burn my system in the fireplace for heat this january after listening to bruces setup for a week over christmas break.

If merlin is the magician then the 6dj8 is his magic staff which makes Thebes the Lady of Shalot, weaving a magic web of tubes.

I'm not sure what you just said. I'm not sure if I could really hear the very suttle differences between tubes, remember I'm an old fart with bad hearing. If I could improve the sound and end up with a spare set of tubes, I'd be happy as hell.

CB

CB, I don't know what rolling in the Jolida will do but my old, 40 years around airplanes, 10 thousand flight hour ears heard a substantial difference when I rolled the small signal tubes on the VRD in a really crappy room.

I plan on changing out the Tercel, Peach and Jolida one at a time to check them over time. Heck, unless I am wrong, a small amount of money invested in differing tubes can be swapped out thru all my equipment.

Let me know I'd be glad to help you out. I had plenty of people teach me about tubes and find it rewarding to help others as they begin their venture into the world of tubes.I will not influence you to buy Amperex Bugle Boys as I do not want to be responsible for your potential addiction to tone par excellence.USNRET is the third person in a couple months who made simple changes per my recommendations and had improvement beyond expectations. That was with just RCA tubes.RCAs are good but there are much better but more expensive. The one guy stated" it was like my ears had been plugged all these years. I'm pretty sure you'd hear the difference CigarBum. I'm like USNRET, i have over 5,000 of hrs on fixed and over 1,500 hours on rotarty winged aircraft not to mention hunderds of hours scuba diving (the flight surgeon told me before i retired that i have the hearing of someone in their mid 70's) and i can easily hear the difference. If apprehensive, take Thebes up on the offer, nothing gained, nothing lost...

tube rolling in the Jolida will help but nearly a much as it does in a preamp or amp. the RCA 12AT7/6201 from http://thetubeshop.com/tubeshp3.htm are cheap are nice sounding in the Jolida, gets rid of the thin, narrow, cold sound and really warms, fattens the sound and widens and adds depth to the sounstage (3D)

The Merlin was transformed to a more magical preamp when I replaced the JAN Philips 6922 with an Amperex 6DJ8. My ears aren't bad, but they are 60 years old, and the difference is AMAZING.

Bruce

Same here i had a JJ 6922 in my Blueberry and put in a Amperex 6922 Pinched waist, the rich character of these old tubes continues to blow my mind...

CB, trust me on this. You will hear differences and they will be easily discernible. Look at your list of equipment if you doubt me. I 'm pretty sure you spent some time picking out components for the sounds, and placing the speakers so they sound good. Really, it's the same thing with tubes.

Think of it this way. Some tubes are Bose, some are Klipsch.

Offer still stands to both of you, so addresses if you are interested.

Thebes and I have nothing to gain here, if you had a Porsche would you put cheap oil in it or low octane fuel? You've got very nice gear and it truly deserves the opportunity to unleash its true potential...test drive a few tubes before buying then you'll know what to buy...everyone has their preference, I like Bugle Boys, others like Mullards and others Telefunkens and so on and so forth...doesn't mean any is better just personal taste...I'd trust Thebes with my new turntable and that says alot.

post-35949-1381953973091_thumb.jpg

post-35949-13819566722346_thumb.jpg

post-35949-1381956812842_thumb.jpg

Ok, then buy these

12AX7 Telefunken / Leeds & Northrup or SELECTED TUBE label, very rare medical equipment grade smooth plate, most red-tipped, diamond mark, MATCHED PAIR

The finest Telefunken diamond mark smoothplates, NOS, some in original box, that have been further screened for low noise, low microphonics, and balance. Finest grading, and most have the original red paint on the tips to prove it. These have the SELECTED TUBE cloth label, or run number lab label, and were only available for the Leeds & Northrup test equipment market, or Grass medical equipment. The ultimate tube for tube mics and mic preamps! Very fine, very rare tubes, in great demand, especially this smoothplate version. Excellent labels on these. These are all Tele labeled, or have the L&N lab run numbers on them (L&N part number 1022106). All are the real deal, with the diamond mark in the bottom glass. These are rare matched pairs, with transconductance tightly controlled internally and from tube to tube. Incredibly accurate, the amazing sound image emerges out of a dead quiet background. Compare prices.....you get a pair of these for less than ONE ECC803S!!! SINGLE TUBES ARE $200.00!! The best of the best!!

$425.00 per pair

and two of these

ECC282 / 12AU7 RARE Amperex 1950s Logo, Longplate D-getter with foil strip, original Holland made MATCHED PAIRS .

New Old Stock White Box. Very RARE Holland made audiophile grade longplates, with the distinctive 1950s D-shape getter with the foil strip across the straight back of the getter "D". The ECC282 is a low-noise selected tube, like the ECC802S. This rare pair has perfect early 1950s labels and a Gm matched to within 2 percent.

$400.00 per pair

12AU7 RARE Amperex 1950s Logo, Longplate D-getter with foil strip, original Holland made MATCHED PAIRS .

New Old Stock White Box. Very RARE Holland made audiophile grade longplates, with the distinctive 1950s D-shape getter with the foil strip across the straight back of the getter "D"

my what good taste you have, i found a pair of these and the 12AX7s for my VRDs that tested as new and they are true candy to the ear!! i'd like to see some of those red-tipped Teles...very rare[:D]

Thebes and I have nothing to gain here, if you had a Porsche would you put cheap oil in it or low octane fuel? You've got very nice gear and it truly deserves the opportunity to unleash its true potential...test drive a few tubes before buying then you'll know what to buy...everyone has their preference, I like Bugle Boys, others like Mullards and others Telefunkens and so on and so forth...doesn't mean any is better just personal taste...I'd trust Thebes with my new turntable and that says alot.

I have to agree with Gary. I just rolled a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 12ax7s into my Jolida player (level 1) and it made a world of difference. I have tried Telefunken and Mullard 12ax7s but the Bugle Boys really make the cornwalls sing. Wonderful mids and highs and the bass improved so much I don't even think about using the subs. The player sounds great with the Scott.

Frank

How handy are you with a soldering iron? If the blue light is one of those blue LEDs, you can increase the current limiting resistor that will be going into it. You can't increase it too much or it will just go off. Do you have a schematic for it? Many LEDs have a 330 ohm resistor in series, so upping that to a 470 ohm might be about right.You just have to try it to see.

Bruce

Bruce

Same here i had a JJ 6922 in my Blueberry and put in a Amperex 6922 Pinched waist, the rich character of these old tubes continues to blow my mind...

Yeahhh.......now we're talking -- an Amperex 6922 pinched waist. Very, very, very nice tube. I have a Holland Amperex 6922 PQ in the Blueberry stage of my Peach (which is the best I've heard in that stage) and would love to find a cherised pinched waist. That being said, my consolation is that I have two Siemens CCas (late 50s) in the Superloz stage of my Peach.

I have also heard considerable improvements by changing over to certain NOS over the years. Most in here that have tried and heard the difference do not have a financial incentive to say so. I have rolled several NOS into my Jolida JD100 including Siemens, Amperex, Mullard, Sylvania, GE and RCAs. The best I have heard are Mullard CV4004s, which have been in my unit for over five years without missing a beat.

To each their own.

Carl.

Totally agree; I love the analogy. I also agree that tube preference, like most everything in audio is subjective to one's own ears.

Years ago, a well-known reviewer performed an extensive review/analysis of many different brands of NOS tubes according to type (Joe's tube lore). Even though final tastes are subjective, I have found the analysis in Joe's Tube Lore to be fairly accurate as to the flavors of certain tubes.

Since we are talking about 12AX7s in the JD100, see here:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

Carl.

Totally agree; I love the analogy. I also agree that tube preference, like most everything in audio is subjective to one's own ears.

thanks for the feedback, good reference on the 12AX7s, i have a Grado Sonata and was thinking of upgrading to the Reference...How do you like the Reference?