B.A.T. Horn, Wendy is not gonna like this.

Guest David H

Boys, boys, boys....I do not approve! We do not have room for another pair of big @$$ anything in our storage or house. I'm already anticipating that our realtor will tell us that we need to get rid of the tractrix bass horns sitting next to the MWM top sections at the back corners of our basement.Wink

Unless of course the potential buyer is an audio fan and would buy the house and pay extra for the cool speakers : ) Besides they aren't that big really. I'd almost say they are pretty small.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest David H

Wow..! impressive work GotHover

I might be wrong but I do believe the curves you posted for the on-axis and 30 degree off-axis are in error. They are identical in response which doesn't seem logical and I also noticed that their file name and time are identical.

I'll be very interested to see more of the off-axis curves..!

mike tnYes

Good catch, it appears I overwrote the off axis graph. I will run the curves again once my Phantom Power arrives. It is really pointless to measure again using a non calibrated mic. As I recall 30deg off axis rolled off around 5k.

Dave

Boys, boys, boys....I do not approve! We do not have room for another pair of big @$$ anything in our storage or house. I'm already anticipating that our realtor will tell us that we need to get rid of the tractrix bass horns sitting next to the MWM top sections at the back corners of our basement.Wink

Come on girl, those speakers just "disappear in the corners". [:#]

tc

• 3 months later...

I'm gonna update this thread. Took me a bit to get my time and act together.

The attached is the B&C driver response curve from the manufacturer bass reflex (not horn loaded). It is nice to compare this resonse to whay I'm getting with the driver loaded onto the BATHorn.

The upcoming posts is the driver horn combo measured outside.....

jc

post-16499-13819584197198_thumb.jpg

Here is the on axis. Mic is 100 inches away. I have these blown up to show little anomalies on purpose. I don't show past 5K as on axis...because........response drops like a rock.

post-16499-13819584198308_thumb.jpg

A couple of things to note. The driver isn't the best performer under 400hz but you can see from the factory curve that it goes a little lower than that. I think down to 350Hz, the driver on this horn does well.

Tere are some "undulations' in the curve as I call it after about 1700Hz......such as the first dip at 2000K. This could be the driver. Look at the factory curve.

Gothover was honest with me to say the horn didn't sound good past 3500K. My thoughts are that this horn should be crossed at the highest of ~2500K. On all the other custom tractrix horns I measured, the 30 degree off axis did just what these curves did except "they" would hold stronger to 4000K. Here....4000K isn't as good.

Is was too big of a goal for me to think I could get this to go to 5K. I have ideas for how to do this...I bet it won't be possible. JBL, Martin audio and others don't seem to use there horn loaded cones past the 2000's.....w or w/o phase plugs.

Anyway...the throat is a little big for this driver.....Since the horn does well out to 2000+....I think an 8" driver is in order to try. This will test the ability to go slightly lower and see if still remain strong out to 2000Hz. Gothover made the baffle and box big enough for the 8" driver intentionally.

The possibilities is to put a 1" compression driver and horn combo for the rest of the frequency spectrum that covers from ~2000Hz and up that are already available on the market off the shelf. Or even the K510/K69 combo which has "better' polars after 2000K (but you will need EQ there).

Just rambling here.......

jc

Guest David H

Good, I see we came to the same conclusion, I will be interested to see how you integrate the HF section.

How did the horn look atop the bass bin?

Dave