VRDs in the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

winchester21

Would love to have you down. Let me know when you plan on being in the area. I live just outside Orlando.

I am currently listening to the Korneff 45 while I am having a new set of VRD's built by Craig (Winchester bought my VRD's). I am really enjoying the 45 at the moment. I am thinking I will keep both, and will switch back and forth depending on the mood I am in.

Mike

How are the new VRD's different than your previous ones?

Glad to hear you are enjoying your 45 amps. I do the same thing. When I'm by myself I listen to the 45 amps exclusively. When I have someone over and they want to play a DVD music video on the loud side, I hook up my 300B amps.

Mike-

Tell me more about the VRD's I am curious to learn about them.

Thanks,

Herb

Herb,

The VRD's are a fabulous push/pull tube amp with 60 wpc in ultralinear mode and 30 wpc in triode mode. These amps just work beautifully with heritage speakers, and go hand-in-hand with Mark's (mdeneen) Blueberry Xtreme preamp. If you would like to learn more you need to come by for a listen. Give me a shout and we will make it happen.

Mike

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The VRD's are a fabulous push/pull tube amp with 60 wpc in ultralinear mode and 30 wpc in triode mode. These amps just work beautifully with heritage speakers, and go hand-in-hand with Mark's (mdeneen) Blueberry Xtreme preamp. If you would like to learn more you need to come by for a listen. Give me a shout and we will make it happen.

Mike

What kind of 'iron' is used in the VRDs?

I made 1 minor adjustment which seems to have made a positive difference- I changed out the monster interconnects for a set of Nordost Blue heaven interconnects between the VRDs and the Peach- The highs are brighter and sound great when there is a heavy bass presence. I am thinking about changing out the monster stuff connecting the CD . I think the TT may have permanantly attached leads.

I am no fan of monster products- bought them before I knew any better.

I made 1 minor adjustment which seems to have made a positive difference- I changed out the monster interconnects for a set of Nordost Blue heaven interconnects between the VRDs and the Peach- The highs are brighter and sound great when there is a heavy bass presence. I am thinking about changing out the monster stuff connecting the CD . I think the TT may have permanantly attached leads.

I am no fan of monster products- bought them before I knew any better.

You can still swap the I/Cs on your TT. If you can solder, they can be replaced. The issue is,will it be worth the trouble and expense? If you have the cheap, skimpy I/Cs that sometimes come with vintage tables like Thorens TD160s and such, it will probably make a difference. If you already have some decent I/Cs on your table, I wouldn't bother.

Glad things are working out!!

I took pics today- then discovered some bleeping Sony camera adapter card for my Dell laptop is missing-- ARRRGGGG!!!!! I hate cameras.

Pics to follow with the next day or so - have not forgotten

The new has not worn off the VBDs- have not watched TV since they arrived.

Rolling thru my CD collection I notice that some Cds I gad passed off for compressed poor recordings actually sound great with these amps. ANd some of my favorites are actually not tha great in the recording dept. These amps reveal EVERYTHING

Picked up a Thorens TD 125 from th e garage- cannot wait to get it running with these amps.

Sorry to keep raving about these amp but please humor me with one more comment.

Several friends have listened to them. People who own varoius brands of audio gear from the box store struff to the higher end.Everyone is completely blown away by this system with the VRDs. I have 6200.00 in th amp/preamp- CD/ k horns. A guy with a 30 k system readily admits that this sounds better- not just a little- much better. Another person commented that the lower volumes were much better( where you could talk) than anything that he has ever heard- he has heard a lot..

This brings up another issue with lower powered amps- voliume issues-witrh low powered amps through a k horn.

With 60 WPC- I can crank it up or tone it down. Another plus for the VRDs. The SET low power amps have my attention but would I be able to crank them up when the situation dictated that option???? To each his own. Early on Coytee warned me about the volume issue with low powered high end amps. There are definitely times where I want to crank it up and do something in another room. The VRDs seem to do it all.

IMHO this may be the holy grail of audio gear. I could not be happier with my choice.

I cnat wait to get my Thorens TD 125/SME 3009 hooked up with a denon 301 and a PS audio Phono preamp.

I cnat wait to get my Thorens TD 125/SME 3009 hooked up with a denon 301 and a PS audio Phono preamp.

I hear you! I say a thanks in my heart to Craig everytime I fire my up. They just seem to get better and better as they break in. Can't wait to hear how you like your Thorens, particularly how you like the cartridge and the PS audio Phone preamp. I have some Fisher/made by Telefunken 12AX7s and Brimar 12AU7s I could send you for a test drive in the VRDs. If you like 'em we can talk price, which would be very affordable. If you don't like 'em just send them back. You'd only be out $5 for shipping if you don't like them. You can ask CigarBum as a reference about me. Just trying to help out a fellow VRD owner get the most out their treasures.

G-man