I know why Michael called it, "This is It"

Youthman

• Moderators

Tonight I thought it would be great to rent a movie and watch as a family. My wife suggested Michael Jackson's "This is It" on Bluray. I reluctantly agreed but was not excited in the least. I've never been a huge fan of Michael, never understood the hype and why people would weep just in his presence. He also seemed kinda creepy to me, very odd in his own way. I was excited to finally watch my first movie with the new RS-52's but frankly, I would have chosen a better movie to break them in.

My wife, my four children and my nephew sat down in the theater room. I faded the lights to black, turned the Yamaha to -16db and hit play. From the moment the bluray started, I was captivated. The sound was absolutely phenomenal! From the drums, to the electric bass, to the keyboard, each piece was presented with absolute clarity and definition. The bass was tight, and the surrounds were coming alive. It is concert disks like this that allow Klipsch speakers to do what they do
best....wow and amaze us. I have never heard my RF-83 system sound so
good.

Many times during the movie, I noticed my face had a huge grin and my head was bobbing to the music. I now realize how much of a musical genius Michael was. He knew exactly what he wanted, both in choreography and in music. He was an utmost perfectionist and he expected the absolute best from his performers. It was evident that Michael hired the very best to dance, sing, play, run sound, special effects and control lighting for this show. You can tell there was a TON of money put into this production.

Before watching "This is It", I thought the Eagles "Hotel California" sounded amazing. Don't get me wrong....it does. But honestly, I don't think it is close to the quality of "This is It".

Thriller was spectacular to watch and to hear. Smooth Criminal was brilliantly mastered. Orianthi Panagaris, the chic doing the guitar solo during "Black or White", totally rocked it out! There were so many great moments in the video, including the HD video footage itself. Visually and audiably, "This is It" was first class and excellently produced.

There were only two songs that I felt were dull and actually boring. "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" was just too slow and uneventful and although the "Earth Song" was visually stimulating, it was so melow that it almost put me to sleep. The rest of the video was simply amazing.

Am I going to rush out and buy a white glove and grab my crotch....probably not. But one thing is for sure....I will be buying "This is It" on bluray tomorrow.

If you want a fantastic reference quality concert bluray, "This is It"!

• Moderators

Am I going to rush out and buy a white glove and grab my crotch....probably not.

You mad me spit out my drink ! [:|] That was funny.

Is it also out on regular DVD and if anyone knows is the quality also good ? I would like to get it.

• Moderators

Is it also out on regular DVD and if anyone knows is the quality also good ? I would like to get it.

Looks like they do have it as Standard and Limited Edition DVD.

Xman, I too had absolutely no interest in watching it, much less buying it. IMO, it is that good though. Be assured....they did make tons of money off this DVD. He will probably be like some of the others and make more money after he's dead than when he was alive (although that will be hard to do).

• Moderators

After thinking about it I remembered Indyklipschfan also gave a very good review on this DVD.

I went to tell Christy about your review and she said we will just get the regular DVD since Blue Ray only makes the picture a little better. So I told her it also improves the sound quality and she says really I didn't know that. She then says, well wait a little while and we can get one, I have been putting it off for a long time waiting for the price and availability of disk to come down a little, so I will just wait and get the BD of that DVD. [Y]

Youthman, I was finally able to watch this late last night. All I can say is wow! Less than 5 minutes into the movie my wife looked over at me with a huge grin on her face. None of my 3 kids budged from there seats during the entire movie. If anyone is on the fence its definitely worth watching.

Before watching "This is It", I thought the Eagles "Hotel California" sounded amazing. Don't get me wrong....it does. But honestly, I don't think it is close to the quality of "This is It".

Did you listen to this on DVD, Blueray, or HDDVD?

Am I going to rush out and buy a white glove and grab my crotch....probably not

the BD is a must for even the smallest MJ fan

These comments in the same thread about MJ give me the heebie jeebies

Thanks for the review though, sounds like it will be a good one to have just for the fun of it (not a big MJ fan but will listen to 'some' of his stuff)

• Moderators

Youthman, I was finally able to watch this late last night. All I can say is wow! Less than 5 minutes into the movie my wife looked over at me with a huge grin on her face. None of my 3 kids budged from there seats during the entire movie. If anyone is on the fence its definitely worth watching.

Glad you and your family enjoyed it.

I have the DVD (I didn't see a BD or HDDVD version).

Glad you and your family enjoyed it.

I have the DVD (I didn't see a BD or HDDVD version).

It's an apples to oranges comparison to say theat a Bluray sound track (MJ) is better than a DVD soundtrack (Eagles). It should be. The Eagles HDDVD soundtrack is (so far) the best mixed and recorded disc that I've heard to date. There's no comparing it to the DVD. It's like saying that HD video is better than standard def video...........it should be. I'll let you know how MJ stacks up to the Eagles when I rent it.