Problems with my newly aquired Cornwall speakers. Can someone help me?

Hey Larry, that is a K-601 and used during that time between the 1st and 2ond generations. Not sure what mid driver he has, but it's not a 55-V.

Thanks, Steve. Should he be using a 55-V instead of what he has?

I wonder why Klipsch didn't use the K-601 in the Cornwall III instead of a K-700 crossed over at a rather high 800 Hz? This is just subjective, but I think the Corn III would have had a bigger, more interesting sound if its midrange were larger and extended down further like the I's and II's.

I remember discussions on the forum and in e-mails about this, and was told it was the loss of the original K-600 castings that kept Klipsch from using one. Now I wonder why the K-601 never came up.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I cleaned the contacts on the fuse and the points in the fuse holder where it touches the fuse with an eraser. That didnt work. Then Steve sent me instructions on using tape to clean the magnet gap and that didnt work either. I am at a loss. I am to the point of just taking the speaker somewhere to diagnose the problem and getting a whole new part. I am going to call Steve tomorrow to see what some of my options are, but in the meantime, do any of you have any suggestions?

Hey Larry, that is a K-601 and used during that time between the 1st and 2ond generations. Not sure what mid driver he has, but it's not a 55-V.

Thanks, Steve. Should he be using a 55-V instead of what he has?

I wonder why Klipsch didn't use the K-601 in the Cornwall III instead of a K-700 crossed over at a rather high 800 Hz? This is just subjective, but I think the Corn III would have had a bigger, more interesting sound if its midrange were larger and extended down further like the I's and II's.

I remember discussions on the forum and in e-mails about this, and was told it was the loss of the original K-600 castings that kept Klipsch from using one. Now I wonder why the K-601 never came up.

I never believed that story. Also ask why they are still on exponential?

I live in Effingham Illinois, its about 100 miles east of St. Louis

I grew up just south of Champaign-Urbana, with family further south in Villa Grove, Tuscola, Charleston...

You'll get it all sorted out, and it really won't cost you much. The cabinets look to be in GREAT shape.

Bruce

If it were me I would simply swap left and right tweeters and give it a listen. Same speaker bad > crossover or wiring > investigate wiring again and crossovers go to Bob; problem follows tweeter > both tweets go to Bob.

You still have my number if you want me to talk you down from the roof! This is going to be easy and relatively fast/cheap.

With the B-3 network the midrange is most likely the K-57K since those are Cornwall 1.5's at the transition point prior to the II's as previously stated.

Most likely 1984 or 1985 models.

Could also be the K52H or K52K drivers in there...My 83's came bone stock with Cast horns and screw in K52H drivers, B-3 networks. I understand that at some point they went with a bolt on to composite K601's with the K57K, or a bolt on K52K,H (same basic driver) one Heppner and one Klipsch.

The guts are the easy part. Finding perfect cabs is the hard part and you have that licked. Nobody ever said this was going to be a cheap hobby, but it sure is a lot of fun. If you hear that much distortion it's probably the squawker or something in the crossover. Just keep swapping stuff around and you can isolate the problem in a couple of hours max. Don't be shocked if it is the Pioneer in the background either. I have one and it does some really strange stuff that comes and goes. They look sweet and sound sweet, but they have a mind of there own sometimes.

I talked to Bob Crites about an hour ago and I already have new tweeters ordered. He is going to send them tomorrow so I should get them by Saturday or Monday at the latest. You all dont know how happy this makes me!!!! It sure is nice to talk to a actual person when buying stuff over the phone nowadays. He was great to talk to and was very informative. I have a old Pioneer 1250sx and from reading all the posts on this website....it seems that tubes are the way to go, but I have to take it one step at a time!!!!

I talked to Bob Crites about an hour ago and I already have new tweeters ordered. He is going to send them tomorrow so I should get them by Saturday or Monday at the latest. You all dont know how happy this makes me!!!! It sure is nice to talk to a actual person when buying stuff over the phone nowadays. He was great to talk to and was very informative. I have a old Pioneer 1250sx and from reading all the posts on this website....it seems that tubes are the way to go, but I have to take it one step at a time!!!!

Great!

Now throttle back, we are here to make you spend money but not all in one day.

Get the new ones and get them installed, mind you pay attention to the markings on the wires + and - or in the case of the stock wires color coding so you do not get them out of phase. Use charcoal, pencil and paper or yea, that digital camera, just make sure the proper connections are made from driver to crossover.

How's the GF standing up to all this so far? It's a test to see what will happen when you bring in more speakers, tube stuff, etc. You must learn now that several days prior to new arrival of the goodies that flowers, dinner, purses or whatever are the cost of doing bizness[;)]

I guess I'm going to have to unload some of the extra stuff I own to help fund this new hobby but its good to change it up a bit!!!!

My girlfriend is completely ok with all of it. We have a very large living room and she REALLY liked the way the speakers looked and sounded in the room!!!! She even went with me to pick them up. My kids think I'm nuts!!! but they are used to it!!!

You really did not need new tweeters, all you had to do was have the diaphrams in the K-77M's replaced. If you are replacing them with Bob's CT-125's they will extend the high frequency response further out.

Get some Caig's DeOxit and loosed all the spade lugs on the networks give them a spray and retighten to remove any oxidation and improve the contact surface.

I would remove the inline fuse holders and replace them with solid wire there is really no need for them with good judgement on volume control. If you can't recognize clipping than you are deaf.

Glad to see another Effingham area person on the board, I grew up in Dieterich, fell in love with Cornwalls at my best friends parents house in high school, knew I would eventually have some. Now live in Greenville. Welcome to the forum!