OT totally off topic if ya don't fish

J.4knee

Main thing is not to fall for the "grossly underpowered trap" They will package these things with 24-25' boats and 40 or 50 hp motors. They will convince you that this is ok, you'll only be tooling around, no need for speed. Don't buy it. I'm not saying you need a rocket, but stay at or at least near the upper limit of the rated horsepower for the boat. I had a 25' Crest that was rated for 140 hp and had a 115 hp Honda on it. With wind and current at my back it would do about 24 mph and easily pull skiers/tubers. Trust me, you don't want a boat that tops out at 13-16 mph.

I appreciate all your inputs so far. While I understand the idea of not
under powering the boat, LOL 70 nph is ludicrous! This will be a boat
used for fishing on lakes 99% of the time. Speed is not my main concern, like I said the primary
purpose for this boat is fishing and taking the family out on the lake to “tool”
around.

Normal 0 0 1 47 273 2 1 335 11.1287 0 0 0

I appreciate all your inputs so far. While I understand the idea of not under powering the boat, LOL 70 nph is ludicrous! This will be a boat used for fishing on lakes 99% of the time. Speed is not my main concern, like I said the primary purpose for this boat is fishing and taking the family out on the lake to “tool” around.

Then I guess you won't accept my offer to ride in my 98mph 20 foot bowrider.

Make sure it has enough power. You don't need to go 780 mph. I have a 21 foot open bow that will only do mid fortys and I don't fish. My nephew has a pontooon under powered and once you get it loaded and have the coolers, bimini 5 people and some wind it still takes some power to push it. You would like to cruise at least about 12 to 15 even against a good wind. Pontooons set up in the wind and anything on deck works like a big sail that you are pushing against and that takes power.

• Moderators

No I don't have one, but we rent one every summer in Panama City Beach Florida. We rent them from this place and if I remember correctly it's 24' and had a 50 Honda outboard. We had 7 adults and 3 kids, Ice chest, food and snorkeling gear for almost everyone and it would run about 20-25 MPH.

http://www.shellislandtours.com/boat.htm

We did see Dolphins right on the side of the boat and we parked in about 3.5' of water so even the kids could get off and on the boat easily to snorkel.

thanks for the tip, I was not belittling the need for speed I just could not picture me hitting 70 crossing lake Hodges w/out beaching her LOL. Yeah I am veeeeeerrrry early in this process.

One thing I am looking at in the aftermarket realm is the possiblity if an in deck live well. Most of the 24/25 footers (my personal choice for the size) were set up more as party barges which is not what I am looking for. I want more of a focus on fishing and as open a deck plan as I can get that still accommodates people.......along with the obligatory onboard grill, coolers......but still need deck space to bring da boyz onbaord when I choose put her in the bay.

As was mentioned earlier the biggest mistake that is made over and over again is underpowering ANY boat. After my second boat purchase, and the subsequent motor trade-up, I decided that the best guideline for determining the correct size motor for any boat is to simply look on the required Coast Guard plate attached to the boat for the maximum HP rating. You won't be dissatisfied. If you underpower you'll always be dissatisfied.

Its like putting a 25 HP motor in your car. Yeah it might run 30 MPH but you'll always be running at WOT.

BTW, I remember a fella that I worked with years ago saying that he was considering buying one of those tampoon boats. [:D]

One thing I am looking at in the aftermarket realm is the possiblity if an in deck live well. Most of the 24/25 footers (my personal choice for the size) were set up more as party barges which is not what I am looking for. I want more of a focus on fishing and as open a deck plan as I can get that still accommodates people.......along with the obligatory onboard grill, coolers......but still need deck space to bring da boyz onbaord when I choose put her in the bay.

I did see a Crestliner on that site that was set up for fishing, in addition to the usual pontoon festivities. [:o]

I have to agree with mdeneen it might be best to just rent one when you want to go out. Unless you live on the water or are just a couple of miles from a ramp it just doesn't make much sense to own a boat. You're in Southern California? Just go to Lake Mead or Powell or Lake Mohave in the off season and rent a party barge. OR if you like the ocean, there are plenty of really nice charters for fishing out at the Islands. The 5 grand you are going to spend every year will buy a lot of days out on the water.

My only exception is if you live on the water (no slip fees), then having a small economical runabout (like a Boston Whaler) makes some sense.

Thanx, Russ

P.S. My brother lives on the water. He's retired and an avid fisherman. He bought a 50,000 buck bass boat. He used it a lot the first two years, now it's for sale for half price. It was costing 600 bucks a month just for gas. A party barge is even less economical than that.