Hickock 600A: Should I?

TheEvan

The valveheads at AudioKarma may have a lot to say about Hickocks... I know I've seen reference to them recently as being quite desirable, but can't speak from first-hand experience (I'm just getting started in tubes.)

I have a 605A among others and the Hickoks have the most reliable readings of the bunch. Similar models that are calibrated and in good condition can sell for @$300-500 so as long as it lights up, you can't go wrong for the $50. You may want to take some tubes along (preferably ones that already have readings you trust) as well as check the tube chart as they tend to hang up or tear over time. Also look at the screws for tell-tale signs that the unit has been opened up often as that would suggest problems.

Good Luck!

Well the 600A didn't work. He had loaned to a friend who has a recording studio. Plugged it in this morning and no go. HOWEVER, his much nicer, unbelievable condition 6000A does work. He sold it to me for $100. It is gorgeous, works like a charm and is fully calibrated. I'm happy.

Anybody need tubes tested? [H]