Fisher 400

davis419b

I recently purchased a Fisher 400 from a forum member. It arrived today and when I opened the box the top grill was damaged. I am hoping to find someone that might have a grill for it. Everything else looked good ! here is a pic of what it looks like.

Very lucky~!!!!!!

Can you put the grill back into shape or is it cracked?

Maybe flatten it out by hand and then place it between a couple of pieces of plywood and clamp it tight with wood clamps, C-clamps, etc. Otherwise, try some of the companies that manufacture new cabinets. They may be able to sell you just the grill. mcintoshcabinets.com

Not pretty.

Even if you manage to make it flat without scraping off the paint - it won't be perflectly flat, and you will see it (unless it's in a dark cabinet).

I would just replace the mesh/grill altogether with a new one. Doesn't have to be exactly the same.

That perforated sheet metal is available in lots of patterns. Even hardware stores often carry it. But for sure, it is available at a sheet metal shop. It's easy to fab something as a replacement. It's a shame to have it bent though, I know. Bummer. But, it's not the end of the world. Couple bux, you'll be as good as new.Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the advice so far ! Does anyone know if this is an original grill. It did tear the metal on each end at the fold. This is a close-up.

post-29696-1381958319591_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice so far ! Does anyone know if this is an original grill. It did tear the metal on each end at the fold. This is a close-up.

The Fishers I had (Fisher 500) did not look like that. Mine had ONE size hole uniformly throughout. Like a 3/32" hole. The one you show there looks different than what I had. But, I am no Fisher expert.

Thanks Mark, The fella I bought it from said he did not know whether it was the original grill or not. A picture will pop up sooner or later showing the original and then I will try to buy something close.

Don

That is not the original grill so don't sweat it. Mine has only just small holes about the size of the head of a ball point pen and is a genuine Fisher. What you have looks exactly like what's usually available in hardware stores. Really anything will do. Me I would see if you could find a really thin sheet of acrylic space some holes in that and that way you could partially see what's inside. Of course, you read my thread over at AK (DIY section) and build a whole acrylic cover that would showcase your toy and let that tube glow out.Here's one I did for a Scott 299.

Concerning the lights, you are going to have to remove the cover plate and you will see two things on each side of the glass that look like fuses. They are actually light bulbs and are usually offered on Ebay for a modest amount. The "Stereo Beam" is provided by a vacuum tube located directly behind the small window for it.

post-14801-13819583257918_thumb.jpg

That's not the original grill as some members have stated.
Any local ACE Hardware has that metal.
I would be happy that the mishap did not crack the wood.
Mark is right on about the hole size and thebes has the lamp issue covered.

This is the pattern you would be looking for if you want it original sans the poor glue job.

Posted Image

Thanks Craig, I really do appreceiate the effort you put into finding this for me ! I have one coming. I see in your profile that you have an interest in drag racing. I was a drag racer for 15 years before I gave it up and pursued this hobby. This is a picture of my last dragster.

post-29696-13819583388342_thumb.jpg

Thanks Craig, I really do appreceiate the effort you put into finding this for me ! I have one coming. I see in your profile that you have an interest in drag racing. I was a drag racer for 15 years before I gave it up and pursued this hobby. This is a picture of my last dragster.

I guess drag racing could be a less expensive hobby!! [:D]

I wonder why no one's thought to put a piece of aluminum L-metal back there to strengthen the edge of the screen.

I guess drag racing could be a less expensive hobby!! Big Smile

It was definately more expensive. One example, you buy a $600 set of slicks and they lasted 80 runs and time for a new set. You buy a $600 set of Cornwalls and listen to them for 2 years and sell them you get your $600 back. I see this hobby as a savings account with fringe benifits.

It was definately more expensive. One example, you buy a $600 set of slicks and they lasted 80 runs and time for a new set. You buy a $600 set of Cornwalls and listen to them for 2 years and sell them you get your $600 back. I see this hobby as a savings account with fringe benifits.

You got that right!! I'd be a rich man if I could get all the money back I spent drag racing the 15 years I was involved in that hobby!! I was more of a street/strip racer. Really just went to the track to test, tune and match race. The last year I raced my car ran 9:20 at 156 MPH and did 4' wheel stands!! With stock slapper bar suspension and totally street legal with 10" slicks.

post-7461-13819583400876_thumb.jpg