Hope factory auction winning but wth is it?

seti

Really cool case.

IMG_3133.JPG

Sanborn Carrier Preamplifier

Realy cool buttons switches and thingies.

IMG_3117.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

Why did I buy it? It looked cooly weird and no on knew what it was and it was full of tubes. I have a bunch of 6v6gt 6SL7 12au7 12at7 tubes to get tested.

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

What the hell is it?

I've googled the booger out of it.

I think it might have been used to measure Mole Crickets.

It looks like it is a two-channel d.c. amplifier.

My guess is that it can be used to drive the pen(s) on a chart recorder. Klipsch would have used it as part of a system to make frequency response charts, IMHO.

Wm McD

My guess is that it can be used to drive the pen(s) on a chart recorder. Klipsch would have used it as part of a system to make frequency response charts, IMHO.

Wm McD

Yeah, thus the reference to "Stylus" .... but what would "temp" be? Stylus Tempo? As in "fast" v.s. "slow" as on SPL meters? ??

It looks like it is a two-channel d.c. amplifier.

Wm McD

Ah cool.

googling Sanborn Carrier Preamplifier

check out the last paragraph

Is this device perhaps something to do with a pneumotachograph, which would be for recording air flow?

I couldn't get to that one but I did find this regarding the Sanborn 150-1100.

DIMENSIONAL CHANGES OF LEFT VENTRICLE 111
ference. Lengthening of the gauges decreases the cross-sectional area of the Hg column, producing an increase in electrical resistance. The gauge forms one arm of a Wheatstone bridge, activated by a carrier wave (4.5 volts; 2,400 c.p.s.) from a Sanborn carrier preamplifier model 150-1100. Its output was recorded on the Sanborn polyviso. The linearity and response time of the gauges were found to be as previously reported by Rushmer,20 and Lawton and Collins.21
Left ventricular length was monitored by apply- ing a calibrated gauge to the external surface of the ventricle wall. The gauge was fastened to the wall under slight tension (equivalent to approxi- mately 0.5 Gm. or less) on a line parallel to the interventricular septum and from a point just below the atrioventricular valve ring to the apex. Securing sutures were placed through the full thickness of the ventricular wall. This latter was the major difference in application from that of Rushmer.20 The recordings of length obtained in this manner were qualitatively the same as those obtained by use of a strain gauge ealiper (fig. 1).

and

Sanborn force displacement trans- ducer, Model FTA-1-1, was used to measure the quasi-isometric contractions induced by the added drugs. The transducer was connected to a San- born carrier preamplifier, Model 150-1100 AS, and the responses recorded on an Esterline-Angus milliammeter. The sensitivity of the recording system allowed the measurements to a minimum of ±3 mg. As the reactions of the two muscle preparations had to be compared, subsequent muscle preparations were placed alternately in one or the other muscle bath to minimize the inter- ference of mechanical differences of the selected system. The dissected muscle strips were placed initially under a tension of 100 mg. They were stimulated with acetylcholine, the concentration of which was varied from .01 to .05 ng per milliliter bath solution. At the completion of the experiment the muscles were blotted in a standardized fashion and weighed on a Roller-Smith balance.
The muscle preparations to be used for histo- logic studies were fixed in situ without stretching by dropping Susa solution on the tissue before dissection and transfer into the fixative. After dehydration the material was embedded in paraffin, and serial cross sections were subjected to various staining procedures (hematoxylin and eosin, iron and hematoxylin, van Gieson, and Bodian silver technique). Divided muscle strips were also fixed in Susa solution and processed similarly to the intact preparations.

It's an early anolog, tube powered GAYDAR unit !!!

Actually it looks like it may be an early EKG or electrocardiograph machine. Pictures are small, but I will try to paste if Amy still has to allow it.

082-252.jpg
Try looking through www.http//thebakken.org
Roger

Careful there ya seem a little obsessed with the gaydar... Ya know what they say [:P] [:P] [:P] [:P]

There are alot of reference to uses in the medical field. I had a friend that worked with PWK on a speaker for fetal heart monitors at Arkansas Childrens Hospital but this gear seems a little old for that. Not sure when she worked with klipsch on the heart monitors.

Thanks

Well, I'll let other people check into temp. There is a damping thing going on which probably controls how fast the amp acts in response to input.

Here is my guess.

We've seen movies about the "lie detector" with a pens tracing out some input from various sensors. They are skin resistance (sweat), heart rate and breathing (chest area) IIRC. You are seeing other medical applications.

We are seeing those traced in time as the chart paper rolls. In all applications, we have some sensor which (maybe after processing) has a varying d.c. output and we want to drive the motor which twists a rotary pen motor to thereby move the pen up and down on the paper as the paper rolls by.

Like our speakers, the pen motor needs an amplifier before it to boost level. Unlike our high fi systems. We need amps which will function at near and at zero Hertz. Very slow changes in the d.c. level. Looking at the schematic, it seems to me that there are no caps. This is an amp which does not roll off at 20 Hz or lower.

Klipsch was doing some thing a little different than the medical application. There would be a sine wave generator which over time, sweeps up from 10 Hz to 20,000 Hz, and this drives the speaker. There is a microphone which listens to the sweep output from the speaker. The microphone's a.c. signal has to be rectified to some d.c. level. Maybe the Klipsch logorator converts that to a log level and maybe sweep time..

If everything is synchronized properly. We get an ink graph on the paper which is frequency response. E.g. at t1 when we start the paper rolling, the freq is 10 Hz, at t2 it is 100 Hz, at t3 it is 1000 Hz, at t4 it is 10000 hertz. No mean feat in those days.

PWK was proud that he sold measured systems. Making measurement and recording them (many of them) was quite a feat just looking at the instrumentation necessary. This d.c. amp was just one part of it. It makes sense that it is part of the old equipment.

Wm McD

Actually it looks like it may be an early EKG or electrocardiograph machine. Pictures are small, but I will try to paste if Amy still has to allow it.

082-252.jpg
Roger

Careful there ya seem a little obsessed with the gaydar... Ya know what they say Stick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongue

There are alot of reference to uses in the medical field. I had a friend that worked with PWK on a speaker for fetal heart monitors at Arkansas Childrens Hospital but this gear seems a little old for that. Not sure when she worked with klipsch on the heart monitors.

Thanks

Seti,

Were did you try to google thebakken.org ? the bakken is an electrical museum and they have pictures of a couple of different cardiac machines from this company that look similar from the 1945 to 1950 era. One of the main cluess is the stylis printed on your unit. What would a stylis have to do with any of the other suggestions save to trace a heart rythm. Not saying your unit is the complete system, but try to find thebakken.org and the pictures I found. I found it by googling the company name and the city mentioned on your tag together only; sanborn waltham

Roger

082-252.jpg
Roger

Careful there ya seem a little obsessed with the gaydar... Ya know what they say Stick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongue

Thanks

Seti,

Were did you try to google thebakken.org ? the bakken is an electrical museum and they have pictures of a couple of different cardiac machines from this company that look similar from the 1945 to 1950 era. One of the main cluess is the stylis printed on your unit. What would a stylis have to do with any of the other suggestions save to trace a heart rythm. Not saying your unit is the complete system, but try to find thebakken.org and the pictures I found. I found it by googling the company name and the city mentioned on your tag together only; sanborn waltham

Roger

Yeah thank you very much. It is interesting. I've bookmarked it for when I have some time to check it out.

Well, I'll let other people check into temp. There is a damping thing going on which probably controls how fast the amp acts in response to input.

Here is my guess.

We've seen movies about the "lie detector" with a pens tracing out some input from various sensors. They are skin resistance (sweat), heart rate and breathing (chest area) IIRC. You are seeing other medical applications.

We are seeing those traced in time as the chart paper rolls. In all applications, we have some sensor which (maybe after processing) has a varying d.c. output and we want to drive the motor which twists a rotary pen motor to thereby move the pen up and down on the paper as the paper rolls by.

Like our speakers, the pen motor needs an amplifier before it to boost level. Unlike our high fi systems. We need amps which will function at near and at zero Hertz. Very slow changes in the d.c. level. Looking at the schematic, it seems to me that there are no caps. This is an amp which does not roll off at 20 Hz or lower.

Klipsch was doing some thing a little different than the medical application. There would be a sine wave generator which over time, sweeps up from 10 Hz to 20,000 Hz, and this drives the speaker. There is a microphone which listens to the sweep output from the speaker. The microphone's a.c. signal has to be rectified to some d.c. level. Maybe the Klipsch logorator converts that to a log level and maybe sweep time..

If everything is synchronized properly. We get an ink graph on the paper which is frequency response. E.g. at t1 when we start the paper rolling, the freq is 10 Hz, at t2 it is 100 Hz, at t3 it is 1000 Hz, at t4 it is 10000 hertz. No mean feat in those days.

PWK was proud that he sold measured systems. Making measurement and recording them (many of them) was quite a feat just looking at the instrumentation necessary. This d.c. amp was just one part of it. It makes sense that it is part of the old equipment.

Wm McD

That is interesting. I'm sure he was also using all this gear to size up the competition as well.

Thanks for the input.

Wm McD

Yeah, thus the reference to "Stylus" .... but what would "temp" be? Stylus Tempo? As in "fast" v.s. "slow" as on SPL meters? ??

A lot of old instrumentation used a temperature sensitive paper (usually gridded and on a roll), so it worked by the stylus deflecting up and down as the roll of paper fed at an appropriate speed. The tip of the stylus was heated, and would turn the paper black wherever it touched. Your temp adjust basically dictates the darkness of the traceby varying the temp of the stylus tip. The problem with the old heat sensitive paper is, the traces would fade over time.

The tip of the stylus was heated, and would turn the paper black wherever it touched. Your temp adjust basically dictates the darkness of the traceby varying the temp of the stylus tip. The problem with the old heat sensitive paper is, the traces would fade over time.

Just like old faxes and receipt printers...

They didn't have the electroshock therapy machine up for bids? It IS more of a "try-before-you-buy" type item...

No but maybe next time. DrWho did find out about the electro machine. Apparently they were using it to treat a glue. Perhaps he can fill us in on the specifics.