How many content "sources" at your house?

jhoak

So how many unique music sources do we enjoy? And approximately what percentage of "play time" for each?

At my house...

1) A small (~400) collection of CDs - 50%
2) A very small (~100) collection of vinyl - 10%
3) Over the air FM radio - 10%
4) MP3s on a music server - 10%
5) Pandora streaming radio - 10%
6) XM Radio - 5%
7) Internet Radio - 5%

Just curious...

Let's see:

1. FLAC files of my own favorite CD tracks, streamed wirelessly to my Slim Devices Squeezebox v.3 (70%)

2. CD (20%)

3. Pandora over Squeezebox (10%)

4. DirecTV "Sonic Tap" radio, but only for late night background music. Never for "serious" listening...whatever that is. So that's why I don't assign it a percentage, OK?

ps 3000 posts! Yay me!!

1.) Oppo BDP-83 Critical Listening and Multi Channel Music, DVD-A and SACD 35 %

a.)Blu Ray and DVD (viewing: 50%)

2.) Both AM and FM radio talk Radio (via Aragon Stage One and Audica Tuner) 10%

3.) DirecTV SonicTap for New Artists 10%

a.)HDTV (viewing: 50%)

4.)Pioneer PDF-401 for Random 2 ch playback (small CD collection maybe 200) 35%

5.) Xbox 360 streaming from 2 PCs and 1 Laptop 5%

6.) 3 full iPods and 1 iTouch 5%

figured i'd edit as I listed only my listening habit/sources and their percentage of usage.

1. NPR (FM) - 50% from about 0:dark hundred hours (~6:00 AM).... to about 3:00 PM via either MA6500 (K'horns) or MA6450 (Belles & Heresy's) while I work in the "home office (seein as how they kicked me out of my office because I'm retiring and the slime balls gave it to somebody else... 0 but I'm not complaining as it takes me about 30 seconds to get to work....)
  2. CD's - 15% - from about 3:00 PM to about 5:00 PM (collection is about ~300) or computer "single tracks" playlists of various sorts, depending upon my state of (a) paranoia about the economy, (B) concern for dying whales, or oil soaked bales, etc., or (3) something just popped into my addled brain that I dreamed about the night before..... usually (now) via the "New and Improved Wall of Voodoo!!!" (MA6500 and MA6450).
  3. CNN, MSNBC, FOX, CNBC, Weather - 15% - from about 5:00 PM to about 7:00 PM via the "Wall of Culture" (the Cornwalls in the living room...)
  4. A movie or whatever - 20% - SWMBO would like to watch from about 8:00PM to about 10:00PM in the "Wall of Boudoir" (as in the MBR...) over HER K'horns and HER LScalas (lest there be any doubt as to the ownership of the really nice stuff.......) [H]

Basically, unless I'm out of the hovel, it's sounds, sights and tunes floating around the house - 100% - most of the day.

1. CDs. ~1500 (worked in a CD store 1996-2000, sold used & new) - 50%

2. MP3s. Downloaded from Amazon, etc. Most are 192 kbps, getting into .flac files. - 30%

3. Movies. Want to watch more, just don't set aside the time - 15%

4. Wisconsin Public Radio's The Ideas Network (mostly in the car) - 5%

I really don't watch TV channels. We have Charter's basic channels, seven of them I think. With TV series(es), we wait until they come out on DVD and get them through Netflix. It works very well - we just have to dodge spoilers or reviews that reveal too much!

Well let's see I have a small CD collection about 200 sometime my CDP doesn't get turned on for months.

My vinyl collection has about 500 LP's in it and is mostly what I listen to.

I have a pretty good collection of R2R tapes about 100 and listen to them often.

FM radio for backround or warming up the system.

Jay

60% Music; all 320kbs or FLAC. (All CDs have been converted; as well as downloads). 125 GB and counting.....

30% Movies; Netflix as well as some downloads.

10% TV; No more cable (for now) we are experimenting to see if we ABSOLUTELY need cable.... So far? Tough... :)

CD collection........over 4,000

Man.....that would be...comforting. Could you post a picture(s) of that? Are they on homemade shelves?

I have them in 3 media storage cabinets that are of the cheap variety (two pressboard and one unfinished solid wood), in the drawer of my ent. armoire, an Oak lawyer's style cabinet and a small glass front cabinet that I could hang on the wall, but is just sitting on top of the lawyer style cabinet.

Oh, I forgot to include the small antique 3 drawer cabinet next to the ent. armoire.

I have burned many of them myself. If I hadn't, I'd of gone broke buying the darn things.

Man.....that would be...comforting. Could you post a picture(s) of that? Are they on homemade shelves?

I have them in 3 media storage cabinets that are of the cheap variety (two pressboard and one unfinished solid wood), in the drawer of my ent. armoire, an Oak lawyer's style cabinet and a small glass front cabinet that I could hang on the wall, but is just sitting on top of the lawyer style cabinet.

Oh, I forgot to include the small antique 3 drawer cabinet next to the ent. armoire.

I have burned many of them myself. If I hadn't, I'd of gone broke buying the darn things.

That's exactly what I was thinking, they must be in many places. I only have a couple thousand CD's and they are in many places. I am in the process of trying to get them in one place, but that is not as easy as it would seem. [*-)]

Dennie

That's exactly what I was thinking, they must be in many places. I only have a couple thousand CD's and they are in many places. I am in the process of trying to get them in one place, but that is not as easy as it would seem. Confused

Dennie

I know what you mean.

My kids think I'm nuts.

I think they're right.

Tom

That's exactly what I was thinking, they must be in many places. I only have a couple thousand CD's and they are in many places. I am in the process of trying to get them in one place, but that is not as easy as it would seem. Confused

Dennie

I know what you mean.

My kids think I'm nuts.

I think they're right.

Tom

Well, there is a fine line between Hoarding and Collecting, ya know? [;)] I like to think of myself as a Collector of fine art....Music!

I have a few thousand records also and once again.....it is a Collection of Art! But it sure takes up a lot of room and some people think I'm nuts also!

II enjoy the heck out of it and that's what counts.

Dennie

I'm at about 1000 on the CD's Rivernug and 2 K on vinyl but one of my good buddies down in San Antonio is over 10 K on his CD collection now and hopefully I can get a pic of his dedicated media room (a bedroom in his house). He built custom shelves which circle the room from about knee high to about 6 foot (seems like I remember 8 rows) but like I said they circle the entire room! In the center of the room he has these 2 square rotatable racks that hold 1000 each[;)] Very impressive but not a room for a Libra trying to find what they want to play[:o] LOL

CD's (200) 60%

Radio, 30%

LPs - about 150, 10%

Loud, as much as I can! The radio would be less, but it is upstairs with the Heresy's which is where we normally are. The LPs are only in the basement with some oof the CDs and the Cornwalls. Maybe someday, they'll get moved upstairs, the WAF is slowly rising.

I'm at about 1000 on the CD's Rivernug and 2 K on vinyl but one of my good buddies down in San Antonio is over 10 K on his CD collection now and hopefully I can get a pic of his dedicated media room (a bedroom in his house). He built custom shelves which circle the room from about knee high to about 6 foot (seems like I remember 8 rows) but like I said they circle the entire room! In the center of the room he has these 2 square rotatable racks that hold 1000 eachWink Very impressive but not a room for a Libra trying to find what they want to playSurprise LOL

Wow, 10,000! All that music - no need to leave the house! That room sounds sweet.

And with your 2000 LPs, man. That's awesome. I have a very small LP collection (not even mentioned as a content source). I'm avoiding going crazy into Vinyl for fear of my finances. Must......regulate...obsessions.

• Moderators

None of my sources seem to be content ?

Radio 25%

Cd's%

sat radio 25%

Sat music like HD Net and Palladium 25%

Need to get a new BR player to stream internet radio stations