Got the UMC-1 - its HUMMIN'!

wuzzzer

Yeah, hummin' as in BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ through my speakers!! [:(]

I didn't change anything other than simply unhooking everything from my Marantz and hooking everything up to the UMC-1. I turned it on, configured all the inputs and as soon as it locked on to an audio signal there was an extremely loud buzz through my speakers! I tried doing everything I could to eliminate the buzz:

Swapped interconnects - plugged the UMC-1 directly into the wall instead of the APC filter - plugged the APC filter into a different outlet - moved some wires around (its a mess behind my component shelf unfortunately).

The buzz is there with any input; Tuner/Wii/DirecTV/PS3. Its there whether its locked on an analog or digital signal.

I did have a very slight buzz from my Marantz but this buzzing from the Emotiva is driving me nuts. Definitely not something I can just live with. I'm sure if I only listened at extremely loud volumes I wouldn't hear it but I better figure it out soon.

Unfortunately I bought it used from a seller on eBay. Its still under warranty though.

I just thought of one thing - I checked my amp and its designed with an IEC connector with two prongs, ungrounded. The cord I'm using is designed for a 3 prong IEC connector and has a 3 prong wall plug-in. Any chance that if I switch the cord to a 2 prong that the hum might go away?? I don't have a cord like that here so I'd have to go out and buy one tomorrow morning.

Figured it out!! Man, I was beginning to worry that I'd never find it. I started unplugging various things from the back of the UMC-1. Guess what? It was the subwoofer cable causing it!?! Very weird.

Funny thing, because in another thread I asked if it would be worth getting an XLR to XLR cable since the UMC-1 has an XLR sub output and my Samson sub amp has only XLR inputs. Right now I'm using an RCA/XLR cable from monoprice. Its funny that I didn't have any problems with it when I had my Marantz.

I guess I'll be placing a monoprice order in a few minutes...

Man, one observation now that I figured out the buzzing sound is that the UMC-1 / LPA-1 combo is DEAD QUIET. I mean stick your ear right in the horns and there isn't any hiss or anything. Unfortunately its 1:30am right now so I can't exactly have fun with it now that I figured out the problem. But, my wife works for a few hours tomorrow morning early so I'll have some time to play around with it then.

I just ordered an XLR/XLR cable from monoprice. Guess I'll be without a sub for the weekend. [:(]

Could be a ground loop just the same since your home AC power is 60hz freq. , right there in sub territory.

You might want to continue to try eliminating the root cause of the problem. Maybe hook the sub back up and while you're getting the hum look to disconnect the other half of the loop?

Could be a ground loop just the same since your home AC power is 60hz freq. , right there in sub territory.

You might want to continue to try eliminating the root cause of the problem. Maybe hook the sub back up and while you're getting the hum look to disconnect the other half of the loop?

I just figured I had a bum cable. Tomorrow I'll re-connect the cable to the UMC and then disconnect it at the Samson amp and see what happens. I did already unplug the Samson from the wall outlet when I had everything on and the buzzing continued. I guess at this point I certainly hope the XLR cable I'm getting will work. I'd hate to be without a subwoofer!

I'd clean up the wiring mess first. I know it's a basic but I've been through it lately.

I eliminated my buzz/hum issues with better shielding on my cables. The better the gear I ran the more critical better components such as cables were.

I fought a hum issue for a couple of days. I moved everything out and re-routed my wiring and cables. I also cleaned up all my inputs and cable termination with a little DeOxit wiping. Hum/buzz gone.

I changed CDP and hum back. I had to seperate my cables again to get rid of the hum. Ok, so much for the AQ Sidewinders shielding. I went to Diamondbacks and King Cobras, secured and routed my Tara Labs bi-wire speaker cables again, and no more buzz or hum. I'm back to my old mess of wires and cables everywhere but no unwanted noises. DEAD QUIET again.

I'm running a mixture of tubes, ss, old and new. Some high current amps, one pro amp with tube pre, Digital Yamaha POS HT receiver, 2 phonos with seperate phono preamps for each. One tube, one SS. ALL on one circuit via quality power conditioner.

Getting back to the basics might just do the trick. I keep forgetting the K.I.S.S. system.

Once I get the XLR cable I'll definitely be re-wiring everything. Fortunately thanks to HDMI I don't have nearly as bad of a rat's nest of cords as I used to but its still something that could use some serious attention!

Congratulations Wuzzzer! Sorry to hear about the hum. Do you have a cable/satellite box hooked up to it? If so, try disconnecting it and see if the hum goes away. It is often the culprit. I've also heard of people using a "cheater plug", the 3 prong to 2 prong adapter thingy. I guess it would be the same as using a 2 prong power cord instead of a 3 prong power cord.

Keep us posted and let us know how you like the sound and features,

Dennie

Well........Emo may or may not get all the issues resolved over time.The best way to look at the UMC is if it meets your needs it's a fantastic prepro.I have been very satisfied with the unit and sound quality but can't really recommend it to everyone the way I'd like because in some instances they may have issues.We'll see how the next FW goes,I'm still on the 1st realease and in no hurry to update unless it's a big step up.

The UMC-1 is an untamed and untrained animal, hopeful the last code update will put it in its cage. I was get like deinterlacing lines or something, every morning, i just turned it off via the back switch and turned it on and the problem went away. I am having RCA issues, i ordered some emo interconnects and they should arrive today to cure my hum noise since i have monoprice rca's which were a waste

I'd clean up the wiring mess first. I know it's a basic but I've been through it lately.

I eliminated my buzz/hum issues with better shielding on my cables. The better the gear I ran the more critical better components such as cables were.

I fought a hum issue for a couple of days. I moved everything out and re-routed my wiring and cables. I also cleaned up all my inputs and cable termination with a little DeOxit wiping. Hum/buzz gone.

I changed CDP and hum back. I had to seperate my cables again to get rid of the hum. Ok, so much for the AQ Sidewinders shielding. I went to Diamondbacks and King Cobras, secured and routed my Tara Labs bi-wire speaker cables again, and no more buzz or hum. I'm back to my old mess of wires and cables everywhere but no unwanted noises. DEAD QUIET again.

I'm running a mixture of tubes, ss, old and new. Some high current amps, one pro amp with tube pre, Digital Yamaha POS HT receiver, 2 phonos with seperate phono preamps for each. One tube, one SS. ALL on one circuit via quality power conditioner.

Getting back to the basics might just do the trick. I keep forgetting the K.I.S.S. system.

Friggin Idjuts!!!!!!!!!!

I no sooner stomp out this heresy over in 2 Channel and it crops up again over here. Neandrathallis Cable-Bull-Shit-Itis.

Look , hum is almost always a ground issue. Other causes? Fer cryin out loud we collectively swap gear in and out of our systems like hookers change hair colors. Guess what. All this tugging and pulling is bad for the wires, breaks solder joints, connections etc.. Then there is the fact that we love to accrete several hundred pounds of electrical magnetic fields in close proximity to each other. This is without regard to the fluxes such fields cause, not to mention their impact on our stately gravitational perambulation around the sun.

You can break expensive cables just as easily as the cheap ones. Only differences is all that brown marketing hype that comes with the snake oil cables leaks all over your brand new two toned loafers, thus cooling your chill and making hard to remove spots on your rugs.

Now form what I understand Monoprice is cheap, and therefore I approve . I'm thinking of proposing a forum rule that anyone spending over a buck a foot for cable must obtain specific approval from yours truly.

Friggin Idjuts!!!!!!!!!!

I no sooner stomp out this heresy over in 2 Channel and it crops up again over here. Neandrathallis Cable-Bull-***-Itis.

Look , hum is almost always a ground issue. Other causes? Fer cryin out loud we collectively swap gear in and out of our systems like hookers change hair colors. Guess what. All this tugging and pulling is bad for the wires, breaks solder joints, connections etc.. Then there is the fact that we love to accrete several hundred pounds of electrical magnetic fields in close proximity to each other. This is without regard to the fluxes such fields cause, not to mention their impact on our stately gravitational perambulation around the sun.

You can break expensive cables just as easily as the cheap ones. Only differences is all that brown marketing hype that comes with the snake oil cables leaks all over your brand new two toned loafers, thus cooling your chill and making hard to remove spots on your rugs.

Now form what I understand Monoprice is cheap, and therefore I approve . I'm thinking of proposing a forum rule that anyone spending over a buck a foot for cable must obtain specific approval from yours truly.

It's quite obvious you haven't been clued in to the secret society of the hearing blessed that are indeed capable of hearing above the range of dogs, have the vision of a hawk, and palate finely honed to appreciate the taste of a vintage snake oil!

These all are learnable traits but the initiation ceremony is not for the faint of heart or coin. It is an arduous audio path we trod my friend.