Changed from Heritage to Reference, need amp but which one

USNRET

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But again thank you again for welcome ; )

Guys,

As you can see from the hundreds of thousands of posts on this forum, we are like family. Most of the threads contain really good advice but occasionally there are disagreements. Most conflicts here get resolved very quickly without any bloodshed. Opinions are numerous. At the end of the day, opinions are just that, opinions.

Hang around for a while,

Bill

One thing that really separates this site is, for the most part everyone gets along.We don't all agree but we don't attack each other all day, everyday about opinion like some AV sites.There's much better things than fudin' on the net, music sooths the savage beast[<:o)].

I think its water under the bridge and has been over many hours now and see no need to really keep bringing it up unless you guys would like it to resurface. I think the message has been clearly sent now multyple times: ) and I dont think its been going on all day because after 2 or 3 posts I just ignored him and didnt respond in respect to this thread as I mentioned many hours ago but if you like I can go back and read his posts and respond ; )

• Moderators

We do encourage personal arguments to be taken off the forum, which doesn't mean you should drag it back to the main forum. If you do not wish to be contacted by someone, please request politely that they refrain. If it continues, alert me and I will issue a warning. If it still continues, the offender will be banned.

Thanks for understanding. I like to run a clean ship around here. [:)]

Carry on with the original question.

I think you'll be blown away with what the reference line has to offer, seperates or not. I like the heritage line but I keep comming back to the Reference line, for HT I think the reference line is hard to beat.

My only concern with emotiva is the high gain levels and reported "hiss" issue with sensitive speakers, I've read great things about them and would like to give them a try sometime.

the onkyo 805 really is a remarkable AVR it sounds great with HT, 2 channel listening is another story, as wuzzer, myself, or youthman.

I think you'll be blown away with what the reference line has to offer, seperates or not. I like the heritage line but I keep comming back to the Reference line, for HT I think the reference line is hard to beat.

My only concern with emotiva is the high gain levels and reported "hiss" issue with sensitive speakers, I've read great things about them and would like to give them a try sometime.

the onkyo 805 really is a remarkable AVR it sounds great with HT, 2 channel listening is another story, as wuzzer, myself, or youthman.

Myself and a friend thats running all Emo separates has no hiss issue at any levels but then again im running Paradigm studio's . But I have heard "mention" of that issue but very rare. I know some one on another forum that has the Reference 83 and full Klipsch setup and never mentioned that issue so I think if it was going to happen Klipsch would be a prime suspect because of there sensitivity but who knows .

I have yet to tune up equalization (it is now flat as it was set for the Belles) with the XPA except to set the levels, no auto setup yet. I hear zero hiss or noise. As to whether or not it is no / little / major improvement over the AVR's amp, the verdict is still out. I need some time to learn the 83/64 and their characteristics.

I wish there was a way to mellow out the blue power light. The tall RFs, wide (long) RC and my rack makes placement an issue that I have not worked thru yet but I definitely have move options then the 'wall of Belles'.

I will find some time to listen to a DVD/BR and better my judgement as I have really only tested with DD over satellite. More to come.

The amp was delivered in factory double boxes, is factory fresh minty and according to the original shipping label was delivered new in July. No reason to think I will turn it at this time but at the price I am sure I could if I chose to.

I have yet to tune up equalization (it is now flat as it was set for the Belles) with the XPA except to set the levels, no auto setup yet. I hear zero hiss or noise. As to whether or not it is no / little / major improvement over the AVR's amp, the verdict is still out. I need some time to learn the 83/64 and their characteristics.
I wish there was a way to mellow out the blue power light. The tall RFs, wide (long) RC and my rack makes placement an issue that I have not worked thru yet but I definitely have move options then the 'wall of Belles'.
I will find some time to listen to a DVD/BR and better my judgement as I have really only tested with DD over satellite. More to come.

The amp was delivered in factory double boxes, is factory fresh minty and according to the original shipping label was delivered new in July. No reason to think I will turn it at this time but at the price I am sure I could if I chose to.

Good to hear and BTW You can turn all the blue lights off with the switch on the back, also give it some time to get use to it because when I first turned mine on I didnt care for the new dynamic type sound and I dont know if I had to get use to it and or it was breaking in but it just kept sounding better and better . I've had my xpa for 3 weeks or so and couldnt be happier. I was considering selling my Paradigms just because I was board with them but this emo amp seemed to have given them new life and im very very happy now. Although im still considering get some klipsch reference speakers just because I've always liked them but dont think i'll ever get rid of my beloved Paradigms : )

BTW You can turn all the blue lights off with the switch on the back,

I find I can turn off the three blue dots for the channel indicators but not the BIG blue power light.
My apologies I thought it turned them all off. I've never turned mine off but thought i'd read that it blacked it out totally

I like Emo as well, But If I had to do it again I would get a XPA-5. It would be cheaper in the long run because you might want a pre-amp in the near future.

+1

I think the XPA-5 will give you more options down the road for not much more money. Also all the Emo amps are huge so unless you have a lot of shelf space having one amp instead of buying a 3 channel now and then getting a 2 channel later might crowd the set up.

This week I changed my living room HT out from 3 Belles across the front to an RF-83/RC-64 set up. Still using RS-7s on the sides (really a rear/side position).
I immediately noticed that I need more horsepower so I am searching for the best fit for TV/movies in 5.1 mode. No two channel use in this room and I lost a lot in the musicality so this is for HT only.
Current setup:
Denon AVR-4306 > SMS-1 > SVS PB-12/plus2

With the Belles I had used NAD, Onkyo and Denon AVRs all of the approximate power and MSRP; the current Denon 4306 won out as the Onkyo and NAD sounded lean or thin.
I also tried a McIntosh MC-7205 (5 channel) amp with a MX-132 and the Denon AVR as a pre/pro. While 'better' it was not so much so that in HT mode it did not justify keeping when I could sell and make a few bucks in order to buy the Peach and VRD to use in two channel.

I can sell my AVR-4306 for $800 locally and can afford an additional $1000.
So for all my brethren out in Klipsch world that have experience with the '83/64 type setup the question is which way to go from here. I do not need bells and whistles just a solid 5.1 AVR, amp(s) to use with the Denon or pre/pro and amps.
I need no more than 3 HDMI inputs, 5.1 channels and a 1080P feed to the TV. I could potentially use our PS-3, XBox 360, WII and home networking but those items are currently used in other rooms.

Ideally I am looking for someone that has heard the Denon AVR family with the 83's and then moved on to other amps for input. My impression so far vs. the Belles is better left / right / center cohesion and better 'movement of sound' across the front BUT the center dialog is not as crisp and as stated above the SPL is not up to par (where loud enough was -7 or -8 it's now + 2 dB).

Please note that this observations are in a room not suited for anything other than a crystal radio but it is what it is. OH please give me my man cave back with my 5 Belles!

Can you describe the difference you've found between Heritage and the Reference line ups?

I've never owned any Reference speakers. I've owned the smaller Heritage (Heresy and Cornwalls) and the extended Heritage (only forte IIs) but I've never owned the Reference mostly because they are a two way speaker so I figure a three way must be better. But as popular as they are I feel I'm missing something!

I like Emo as well, But If I had to do it again I would get a XPA-5. It would be cheaper in the long run because you might want a pre-amp in the near future.

+1

I think the XPA-5 will give you more options down the road for not much more money. Also all the Emo amps are huge so unless you have a lot of shelf space having one amp instead of buying a 3 channel now and then getting a 2 channel later might crowd the set up.

There not only big but heavy and I would reccomend going with XPA-3 and then going with two upa-1's its not as cost effective but mono blocks add a nice effect to the mix but thats just me .

BTW You can turn all the blue lights off with the switch on the back,

I find I can turn off the three blue dots for the channel indicators but not the BIG blue power light.

The blue LED's on my QSC's were bothersome also. I took a black fine tip sharpie and lightly went over each one. It toned them down considerably.