Audio Time Delay: Baseball Broadcasts...SOLVED!

fini

What about THIS?

I saw that today poking around. Looks like the perfect solution, but I'm unwilling to spend that much.[:(]

Here's another download option. It works on internet radio. I know that the only place to find streaming audio of playoff/World Series Games is by subscription through MLB.com (pretty inexpensive, I think). The thing is, I'm not certain the streaming audio would be of the Giant's hometown broadcasters...

Another possibility is the radio SHARK 2. Gotta research that a little more closely...

A Shure DFR-22 would do what you're looking to do, but it sounds like you don't want to spend any money....Pretty much any pro-audio speaker processor unit should have sufficient delay to sync you up. How many seconds are you looking for though? Maybe you could rent something or take advantage of a return policy? Maybe this is your opportunity to dive into the world of active xovers? [;)]

Well, of course I don't want to spend money...who does?[;)] I was just wishing I knew someone in the business who would send me a review sample (you know, to write about it here[;)]).

Seriously, I'm not sure of the exact delay until I check out the game today, and may not get a good idea until the Giants play tomorrow evening. And, smartypants, I DID spend money last night, purchasing one of these on eBay.

prod_radioshark_main.jpg

The over-air reception (especially AM) on these is not supposed to be that great. I do have a nice external antenna I can hook up. What I'd really like to do is use this only for its time-shift feature, and rig an aux input (and possibly use an HD radio to capture the broadcast). I'll look around and see if anyone has dome this...

That would be great! I wish I knew how to do that! The software might get confused by all that. I'd love if there was an all-manual mode (or an AUX input). Sorry, I don't know the technical end of all this...

radioshark1.jpg

I'm trying to follow the logic here.

You want to watch the playoffs on tv and listen to them at the same time over the radio....got it.

The RADIO is the sound you want/need to delay, not the tv? (got it)

I don't know how much delay is available...(will try to go find it) but as Who said.... could you insert an active crossover into your system and simply add in some delay?

I did this on a DVD that was out of synch however, I don't know how much delay is available.

Here's my point.... if it would work, I have an extra Dx38 laying around that is currently not in use. If it would allow you to synch things up, I'd be happy to send it to you. It's a 2-in 4-out so I suppose we'd have to get creative a bit on programming it but if the delay is there, I suppose that would work?

I even have a box already for it that has been used to ship. Basically, ready to go.

As I think further.....I also have 4 XLR/RCA adapters so you could have 2 for the input and 2 for the outputs!

Well...crud....

I just looked at the online manual and it seems the most delay is 900 ms which as I understand it, equals 90% of 1 second (??)

So, you can delay the input by 900ms and you can delay the output channel by 900ms which gives you just under 2 seconds of delay.

So you could listen in stereo with the input and output channels maxed and get 1,800ms of delay or, you could listen to mono and do some fancy configurations of wire (input to output back to second input to another output) and perhaps get 3,600ms delay.

If you are interested and Who or someone who knows (just barely) more than I do, you are still welcome to give it a whirl.

As one of our local TV attorney's says after his little presentation...."Whaddya got to lose?" (said with a heavy Tennessee accent)

The need for the delay in the first place is that by the time you receive the game in your home via satellite, cable or over the air, the signal has probably been uplinked and downlinked at least twice using several encode/decode technologies.

While an analog signal is delayed only about 0.25 seconds for a round trip to and from a geostationary comsat, the MPEG-2, Digicipher II and other encode/decode technologies used to transport the compressed audio/video signal add up to several seconds of delay.

BTW, if you are wondering why your local TV station looks like crap on DirecTV or Dish Network, here's why. In markets where "local-into-local" service is offered by your satellite provider, your market's TV stations are usually received off the air, encoded at a very low bit rate and transported via fiber to the satellite operations centers (SOC) in Colorado and/or California. Some TV stations encode their signal at the station and transport the signal to the SOC via fiber thus bypassing the over-the-air step.

At that point, the fiber-delivered signal is decoded, re-encoded and added to the multiple-channel-per-carrier modulators. The local stations are usually transmitted to earth via a "spot-beam" satellite which can serve dozens of markets simultaneously.

Since I don't have satellite service, I don't know the status of high definition local-into-local service.

Lee

Last night was the first Giants/Braves playoff game, and it was a helluva doozie. Giants win, 1-0, with Lincecum pitching the 2-hit, 14-strikeout complete game! Great birthday present (if a skosh early).

Anyway, I measured the audio delay. The TV lags behind radio right around 23 seconds! Listening on the radio and watching on TV, it was like following two different games (or watching a movie with someone who keeps telling you what's going to happen next). My RadioShark isn't here yet, so we'll see how it goes. Thankfully, the TV announcers weren't half bad. One, Bob Brenley, was a Giants' catcher, and a favorite of mine.

GO GIANTS!!!

Last night was the first Giants/Braves playoff game, and it was a helluva doozie. Giants win, 1-0,

Too bad there was such a bad call at second leading to the winning run.

23 secs is too much to account for this but all broadcasts are via satellite and there is a distance time delay

• 3 weeks later...

I've solved the problem!! No more stinkin' Joe Buck and Tim McCarver for me!!

I got the RadioShark (and a Kaito AN-200 antenna)! The biggest problem with it is that AM
reception really sucks. I tried it for the last National
League Championship Series game, and the hum, buzz and interference was
unbearable. Last weekend I picked up a 5-meter USB extension cable so
as to move the radio as far away from the computer (and other sourced of
undesirable noise). I found the best reception in the other room
(middle of the room, of course). Still a lot of noise, but the
RadioShark software includes an equalizer, so I was able to push that
noise far enough into the background to make the radio quite listenable.

Excellent game, BTW!!!

GO
GIANTS!!!

I've solved the problem!! No more stinkin' Joe Buck and Tim McCarver for me!!

I got the RadioShark (and a Kaito AN-200 antenna)! The biggest problem with it is that AM reception really sucks. I tried it for the last National League Championship Series game, and the hum, buzz and interference was unbearable. Last weekend I picked up a 5-meter USB extension cable so as to move the radio as far away from the computer (and other sourced of undesirable noise). I found the best reception in the other room (middle of the room, of course). Still a lot of noise, but the RadioShark software includes an equalizer, so I was able to push that noise far enough into the background to make the radio quite listenable.

Excellent game, BTW!!!

GO GIANTS!!!

Congrats on the win, that was huge.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks to Carl, aka CECAA850, for pointing me to Fini's thread on exactly the same issue I was confronting. I'll do anything--except spend lots of money--to avoid Joe Buck.

After reading this thread, I purchased a used Radio Shark though Amazon for less than $25, shipped. I'll attach it to the "rooftop" FM antenna (local Tigers' games are on FM) in my attic and report back.