Turntables. When Does Aesthetic Overcome Performance

thebes

Hard to figure the connection to turntables, but since we've vectored to price/performance in cars, I'll mention that the most fun and compliment-drawing vehicle I ever owned was a Fiat X19. Maxed at 110 or so in west Texas, it was completely exhilarating and gave you a sense of being absolutely glued to the road and in complete control.

Of course, it was also a Fiat with all the electrical baggage and such that implies, but it was still within the realm of the home fixit guy to handle most things. About all the super high priced spread had, or has, on it would be going faster. I'd submit that 110 is excessive for most of us and hardly something needed on a daily basis in Houston.

Dave

A car is an interactive machine on every level, while a turntable is an interactive experience pretty much on one level. It either sounds good or it doesn't.

That's true. You can't cruise the strip, pick up groceries, or name-drop in bars with a turntable. You could take it to the beach or polish it in the driveway, but that would be sort of odd and pointless.

However, I've been interacting with my new turntable nearly every day for six weeks. It sounds much better than its predecessor of the same brand, and it looks really cool, too, with its bright blue LED cueing light that lets me play records when the lights are dim.

I just picked exotic sports cars as one example of diminishing performance/cost ratios once a certain point is reached. Maybe someone who knows about cigars can tell us why a $50 cigar is miles better than a $5 cigar.

Thebes. I would definately agree that alot of eye candy is employed here with little to no benefit but there are some true feats of engineering out here as well. I know my exploits with gear are well known so I won't go into great detail suffice to say I have ouned or heard at length tables costing upto 30,000.00 and I wasn't blown over by huge differences in performance untill I found what I believe will be my last table which is a 20+ year old design that most would consider ugly as he'll by today's standards. Maplenoll ariedne sig. The difference is true near frictionless platter bearing a nudge will spin the platter for ever, air bearing arm truely isolated from everything by a cushion of air. Massive damping with a 60 pound solid lead platter and a 60 pound lead corian plinth with brass isolation cones. A truely ingenious design for it's time That in today's market costs about 30,000.00 under the name walker. I have had much better ears over to listen and they felt the tables performance was instantly discernable over a 10,000.00 new style table. Joe

I have had much better ears over to listen and they felt the tables performance was instantly discernable over a 10,000.00 new style table. Joe

Well, I make it a point never to challenge the experience of another, so until I hear it myself I won't do that...and then it would be about what I heard and not what another heard. Even then my comments would only apply to myself. I will certainly go so far as to say that I am very skeptical as to the price performance. As has been stated by others here, playing a record is an inherently simple matter as far as about the first 99% is concerned. That last one percent can undoubtably get both challenging and expensive, but only a handful of us are either going to miss it or have the means to deal with it.

The vast majority of issues I hear with my records has to do with the engineering and production process rather than the TT or cartridge. As was alluded to in a previous post regarding drumskings (about which I know nothing), I can quite often determine the type and model of mikes used, and occasionally even pre-mix positions of muscians, from a record. That suggests to me that it's being pretty well reproduced. It's about all I ask.

Dave

Don't get me wrong. I would agree that the new tables at uber cost are completely overpriced. I was saying my 20 year old technology turn table sounds better than many of these and that esentially confirms Thebes point. Joe

Understood. And, from my own POV, trust me that if I had a couple of 100 megabucks in the bank, 60k for a TT would almost be mandatory if only to spread the wealth and keep the people who build them working.

Of course, I'd also have a Schoenberg double expression tracker organ in my music room, a vintage Bosendorfer in the den, etc.

As it is, I settle for the "virtual" experience of those things and am grateful for it.

Dave

My TD124 does as good a job now as it has done for the last 50 years.

$150 when purchased and worth every penny.

That $150 in 1960 (50 years ago) equates to a $1100 table today. (http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/result.php)

The question now becomes is there a $1,100 table available now that is as good as the TD124.

At any rate I would say you got your moneys worth of enjoyment! [Y]

My TD124 does as good a job now as it has done for the last 50 years.

$150 when purchased and worth every penny.

That $150 in 1960 (50 years ago) equates to a $1100 table today. (http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/result.php)

The question now becomes is there a $1,100 table available now that is as good as the TD124.

At any rate I would say you got your moneys worth of enjoyment! Yes

OTOH, with luck, the TD124 can STILL be purchased for 150.00 or less.

Dave

Anything more than an AR-XA is overkill.

...speaking with just a touch of hyperbole.

Me, I'm a big fan of the XA-RA .

Don't get me wrong folks I want the best sound I can get, not the best sound that money can buy, but if money is what it takes, then...

I'm shit out of luck 'cause I ain't got any. [:D]

Let me clarify another thing. I love aesthetics. The proper conjunction of design and engineering to produce a thing of beauty, and my lust quotient goes way up.

In other words, I'm willing to pay a premium for quality sound from a TT, and I'd drop a bit on top of that if they took the time to make it pleasing to the eye. But, again, I'm not out to be gulled, and I'm sorry, but most of this high end TT stuff, strikes me as being in the latter category.

The proper conjunction of design and engineering to produce a thing of beauty, and my lust quotient goes way up.

Well, whilst much of it is dictated by economic circumstance, I've decided that "Quality is defined as fitness for intended task" helps keep my lust in check. Luckily, it also keeps my ears happy.

Dave

paid $1500 for mine and still had to pay extra for the arm and cart. I would do it over again 1000 times!

Mike, IMHO the real value of anything is precisely what a person thinks it is. OTOH, 1500X1000 is 1.5 megabucks. Obvious that you REALLY think highly of that 'table. [:D]

Dave

I paid $1500 for mine and still had to pay extra for the arm and cart. I would do it over again 1000 times!

Mike

I got mine for slightly less (about 2.2K complete with most accessories) and find it to be one helluvan instrument. And it's not fully "tweaked out" yet. As soon as I get past Phish Halloween weekend (for which preparation has taken entirely too much of my time) I plan to dive whole hog on Saturdays making that sound the best it can be. I'm going to order a record cleaning kit and get to work.

But even set up "in the neighborhood" it's apparent that I have found "The Table".