Direct vs Bipole

Inkabodpain

• Moderators

I started out with a 5.1 system (RF-83's and RC-64 up front and RB-35's in rear (see photo below). I never was satisfied with the sound of direct firing speakers for the rear in my setup. Part of the reason was because I mounted them entirely too high and the sound shot over my head and hit the front screen.

When I purchased the RS-52's and mounted them to the sides, it made a HUGE difference. The sound envelopes you which is what is supposed to happen in movies.

Many suggest that if you listen to a lot of multi-channel cd's or SACD (or whatever it's called), having direct firing speakers in the back is more ideal.

post-27215-13819618162428_thumb.jpg

post-27215-13819621852246_thumb.jpg

Ok I need to know what is best for rear surround sound speakers. Direct speakers will send the sound straight forward. Dipole will be room filling. this is what I keep reading . What to do please help.

What you are searching for is the idea of "constant coverage" I would assume. Dipole speakers actually have a very large weakness in this area--having significant SPL drop-off as you move off-axis. According to Toole, this is actually undesirable.

If you have a HT that is fairly wide, then maybe dipole radiating speakers are not your best choice. However, if you have a prime listening position in your HT (one or two chairs) and are looking for "ambiance", then you might could use dipole radiators. Even so, I think that your best bet is to get something with nearly constant coverage across a wide frontal arc of the speaker. That way, you can change your setup and still use your speakers.

Dipoles have one more issue - higher distortion due to their lower sensitivity. If your surround back speakers ever are called upon to reproduce percussive or impulsive sounds, then low sensitivity is again not a good thing to have. One reason why Klipsch speakers sound so good is their low distortion and high sensitivity.

Chris

For 5.1 just use surrounds that use Klipsch's Wide Dispersion Surround Technology. Typically they are mounted on the side wall.

For 7.1, you still want a pair of Klipsch's Wide Dispersion Surround Technology for the back side but now IMO you want direct speakers along the back wall.

I have a nice rectangular room, and sit towards the center of the room (Yea, I know I'm lucky). I have direct radiating speakers in the rear corners of the room toed in a little toward the center, about 6' high in a 5.1 system. I can't say I've ever felt the need for more enveloping surround on any movie I've ever enjoyed. For music, there is no substitute for having a setup like this. If you ever enjoy concert type DVDs, you will appreciate having direct speakers in the back. Now if your room arrangement is different, a different system may work better for you???

My dad has the WDST speakers in a similar room to mine high and off to the sides of the listening position in a 5.1 system. I don't like it at all compared to placing direct speakers in the rear corners like I have. If you sit along the back wall, this may not work so well, though.

I had bipolar speakers once but had to get rid of them. One minute they sounded great, the next minute they sounded terrible.

[:)]

Jackson Bart gave some good advice.

IMO, the best is to use Dipole/Bipole speakers on the side for HT. If you have 7.1, then direct speakers in the back. I believe that Dipoles were not meant to be placed in the back, since they are intended to send sound off the front and back walls. The good thing about most Klipsch surrounds is they have three sides, sending sound straight out and to the front & back.

Also IMO, dipole shouldn't be used for music. just don't. I believe Dipole (opposed to Bipole) sends signals out of phase to the 2 sides on purpose, to create ambiance. This really messes with music and makes it sound like crap. Bipole is at least in phase, but still disperses the sound so doesn't sound as good as direct speakers w/ music.

Last, proper placement of any speaker (height & sides vs. rear) is just as important as the type of speaker.