why modify klipsch

chambers1517

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because it is there???? It can be better to others of Us!!! Just like there are many versions of any of a number of loudspeakers. Take Electrostatics. No one in there right mind says that Magepan is the absolute leader in that genre. Why do you think that Klipsch has the 'corner' on Horn Speakers??? Avantangegarde has definitely done better..........Sit in and wish you were the absolute......Do what ever you ABSPOLUTIONISTS like, buy why. That would be my question??? There is more than one group on your 'all mighty forum' that is advancing the concept of improving the Hornspeaker Concept. Look around.. I could care less if you get it, but it is really fun to drop in and see what a mockery you make of good audio. Why can't you guys just get along with the bunch of us???

Why does anyone here think PWK got to be where he is??? He had a valid feeling and he presumed it. Simple enough. I have heard it in HornLoupspeakers. It ain't expensive. It just takes a little thinking outside the box. And those of us who do it really don't care if no one else here follows, but it sure is interesting when you don't. Tubes Rule.

Take Electrostatics. No one in there right mind says that Magepan is the absolute leader in that genre.

Well. they are definitely NOT the leader in electrostatics because they aren't electrostatic. They are a close cousin. Magnepan calls it planer-magnetic. They are a permanent magnet version, where magnets are used instead of electrostatic charged field. This is the technical forum so I had to correct your statement, lol.

Gentlemen. If all you want to do is go into that dark, black night, then get off of here and let the wise minds prevail. God, you guys are Funny. Think about Why guys........................................................................

It is way too early in the new year to get philosophical about science.

Gentlemen. If all you want to do is go into that dark, black night, then get off of here and let the wise minds prevail. God, you guys are Funny. Think about Why guys........................................................................

It is way too early in the new year to get philosophical about science.

It's so much easier to get philosophical about science than to to get scientific about philosophy. [:)]

But we do need both (said he philosophically).

The most parsimonious explanation of the Universe is that we are imagining it.

"Gentlemen. If all you want to do is go into that dark, black night, then
get off of here and let the wise minds prevail. God, you guys are
Funny. Think about Why
guys........................................................................"

Why?

Some of us have finished sufficient modifications and are now satisfied to just listen to music.

Some are satisfied without modification.

Some aren't done yet.

Take a 1932 Ford for example.

In their day, they had what was then respectable horsepower, tires, and passenger accomodations.

None the less, technology has improved. Induction techology has improved as has exhaust technology. The ancient flat-head Ford V-8 with side valves was a marvel of its day but that is ancient technology. Cooling has improved with bigger radiators appropriate to the increase in technology. The small tires and wheels were made for un-improved roads and could never keep pace with modern wheels and tires.

To go along with that; in the early 70's a group of late teen to early twenties boys drove their Dodge Dart (?) to Chrysler's corporate office in Detroit to show them what they had. One of the bigger wigs saw the car and looked under the hood. These boys had put a big-block engine in the engine bay. The big wig called his engineers outside smaking them in their heads because they said it was impossible to get a big block in a bay that small. And these teens had done it.

BTW- Cooling was very critical on the Ford Flatheads. One or two degrees too hot or too cold and those things just wouldn't run right at all, they had to be spot on (we used to work on one in auto shop in high school).

About 30 years ago I asked PWK why he didn't use something like the JBL 077 instead of the K77. His answer was EV sold him the K77 for about $12, and asked me what my dealer cost was on the 077?

Interesting. I never knowingly heard an 077, but had extensive experience with the 075 (used in the Paragon, although buried). Some people back then would replace the K-77 in Khorns with the 075, thinking that it gave them smoother treble, but others (at Berkeley Custom Electronics and Pro Audio) ran curves and found the K-77 to be smoother overall, while the 075 (according to them) had a big peak at about 11 or 12K which made it sound "brighter" and "more detailed." I wonder if JBL went to the slotted 077 because of that peak?

To my ears, each had their strong points, with the K77 sounding "warmer."

I think that since many klipsch heritage speakers are becoming vintage modification is an awesome way to go. Dont get me wrong a perfect pair of 40 year old lascalas or horns should be preserved but that are many less than perfect pairs that could use some freshening up for daily listening. They seemingly did improve on the components of the la scala over the years while keeping the same physical design, why shouldnt owners of vintage Scalas have equal or better sound? One thing that strikes me a little funny though is people buying brand new heritage speakers and quickly trying to modify theym. They should have to suffer through the stock sound [:D]

IMHO there are three very valid reasons to modify K-horns;

1. Upgraded components; there are some better speaker components available today than there were when PWK selected his components, also PWK could or would not necessarily utilize the best components available due to price contraints. This is true today as well, the Heritage speakers utilize components selected for their specifications but always with an eye on price, this is undeniable. A k-horn outfitted with the highest performing, state of the art componrents (then and now) is extremely expensive and would be basically impossible to sell as a mass production speaker.

2. Varying tastes; those of us who love the horn speaker sound have a totally different take of what constitutes a musically pleasing speaker (or system) than most cone driven speaker lovers. This is the source of the same old argument but IMHO the ideal of pursuing "perfect" audio reproduction is really not what people are looking for, evidenced by the great variety of solutions out there for music reproduction, the tremendous difference in how they sound and the thousands of followers each genre garners.

3. Fun; this is a hobby, let's accept it. Klipsch Heritage speakers tend to attract enthusiasts, people who enjoy putting together thier entire systems, they enjoy the process of tweaking. Modding a speaker is no different from auditioning and swapping audio components, if you have ever selected an amp, preamp, cables, etc. based on how they sounded then you are doing exactly what someone does when they mod a speaker. the results are the same, a change in the sound. We do it becuase we love to.

IMHO, YMMV, Warm regards from sunny El Salvador,

Tony

Tony set it out very well, and I agree.

OTOH, there has been and will continue to be tweeks marketed by sellers of expensive equipment, like magical wire, etc. That gets into hucksterism.

I just hate to see some newby being taken by an expensive product which can't possibly have any technical merit.

OTOH, people will spend many hours braiding CAT-5 wire which, in my view, doesn't have any technical merit either.

Is there a difference? Maybe. Many of us here just have a drive to tweek and be creative. It is a basic human need. I do it myself.

It may be similar to "bargian hunting." There are people who get $20 of enjoyment out of saving $5 even when it costs them $10 to do it.

Smile,

Wm McD

Thanks Gil, it is a thin line to walk between ethusiasm and obsession...lol. I have been tempted from time to time to try out stratospherically priced components in my system and have hosted a number of shootouts at my home with top end amps, preamps, cables, etc.

In the end I remain very happy with the music coming from my modest system and yet still can plan out in my mind what I would do given unlimited resources to improve the sound without feelling guilty (hint it involves a jubilee bottom). I have tried triamping with active crossovers, time correction, swapping out drivers, etc. in the end I stayed where I am now system-wise and sold off the other equipment and components since they didnt seem to be worth the investment for the sonic returns.

However I am always open to the possiblity that benefits are to be wrought from tweaks in system and components and give most people the benefit of the doubt when they claim some tweak improved their musical enjoyment. I also firmly believe that we all have quite different tastes, rooms, etc. and what works for one might not please another, what is deemed best for one will not be so for antoher, etc., etc.

I am an endlessly curious person and when I see what appears to be snake oil I must admit I am always curious about whether or not the claims might hold some water. IMHO the jury is still out on cables in general and some of the talk about the bybee stuff get's my juices flowing. One thing has been proven time and time again is that we know far less than we think we do about how things work in the physical world and the boundaries are always expanding I prefer to be a curious skeptic than a closed minded know-it-all (not that anyone here falls into the latter category).

However, as I said, this is a hobby and if someone gets enjoyment from spending large sums pursuing perfection more power to them as long as they are not spending their children's college fund to do it.

All the best,

Tony