Technics SL-1200 Officially Discontinued

Islander

The rumours were finally confirmed by Panasonic recently. After 38 years and 3.5 million units sold, the SL-1200/1210 ceased being produced this year, and the units remaining on store shelves are the last new units we'll see.

The reasons cited were low sales numbers and difficulties in finding some necessary analogue parts, but others have also mentioned that the durability of the units meant that buyers would not replace their turntables for at least 15-20 years, so repeat sales were lower than with some other brands.

If you were thinking of getting a new, affordable, good-sounding and very reliable direct-drive turntable, you'll want to do it soon, as most dealers are now out of stock. There are other good-sounding, even very good-sounding direct drive turntables available, like the Teres Certus and the Grand Prix Audio Monaco, but their prices are much higher and they're not available at many retailers.

Some news items:

November 21, 2010: http://soundsector.net/2010/11/21/the-end-of-the-sl-1200-technics-death-of-a-legend/

November 11, 2010: http://www.audiomind.us/blog/2010/11/11/technics-sl1200-production-ends/

October 29, 2010: http://www.wirefresh.com/panasonic-finally-kills-off-technics-sl-1200-turntables/

Model history of the SL-1200:

• Classic Technics SL-1200:
    The Technics SL-1200 was released in 1972 as a hifi turntable. However, with it’s unique rotary pitch control and quartz controlled platter, it quickly became popular with a new breed of musician, the disc jockey.
  • Technics SL-1200 MK2:
    This model was released in 1978 and was silver, which was very popular at the time. Improving on its predecessor's rotary pitch control, this model had a slider type, which was unique to the Technics SL-1210 at the time. It also had a ground (or screen) wire which eliminated the buzzing noise, a new, stronger motor and added shock resistant feet. – The DJ turntable was born!
  • Technics SL-1200MK2PK:
    This model was a special edition USA only release that had a piano-black glossy finish.
  • Technics SL-1210MK2:
    Unsure of the release date of this model due to official Technics dealers being unable to stock it as the SL-1210MK2PK was still in production. However, it was identical in every way to the Technics SL-1200 MK2, apart from it having a matt black finish.
  • Technics SL-1200 MK3:
    This model was released mid-1997 and featured a quartz-lock button and had the 0% dip removed in the pitch fader. This improved the precision of the 0% pitch lock for transferring vinyl to CD, which was becoming pretty popular by this time. One thing that stunned club owners and DJs alike was that this model was released without any lid brackets – the lid simply sat on top of the turntable.
  • Technics SL-1210 MK3:
    This model was identical to the Technics SL-1200 MK3 but with a matt black finish.
  • Technics SL-1200 MK4:
    Released in 1997, this model was only available in Japan. Aimed at the music enthusiast, rather than a DJ, this model had a 78 rpm button. This enabled it to play vintage 78 rpm “real vinyl” records.
  • Technics SL-1200LTD:
    Early 1998 saw the release of what the press called “the most sexy turntable ever”. This deck was identical to the Technics SL-1200MK3D models; however, all parts that were previously chrome coloured were finished in Gold.
  • Technics SL-1200 MK5:
    This model was released in 2002 to satisfy the growing demands of the tuntablist DJ and the increasing number of competitors' DJ turntables available on the market. It boasted an increased anti-skate from 0-3 grams and had a white LED target light.
  • Technics SL-1210 MK5:
    This model is a matt-black version of the Technics SL-1200 MK5.
  • Technics SL-1210 MK5G:
    With a great deal of competition in the market, Technics had to create a feature-rich turntable that boasted a few extra features. The Technics SL1210MK5G model, released alongside the Technics SL-1210 MK5, had a massive 3Kg of platter/motor torque and a sexy blue target light, along with a gloss black finish with faint silver speckles. What really made this model was its ability to switch between 8% and 16% pitch along with its truly digital pitch control system, plus its higher-grade OFC tonearm wires and audio cables.
  • Technics SL1200GLD:
    This model was almost identical to the earlier Technics SL-1210MK5, but with a blue LED target light and all chrome parts finished in gold.

I used two of those in my DJ biz 35 years ago. They were fantastic.

The newer ones are even better. A few months ago, I replaced my 1978 SL-1400MK2 with a new 2010 SL-1210M5G. Since I was using the old headshell with the old M97xE cart and the same Platter Matter mat, I didn't expect much difference in the sound, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The new turntable has more clarity, detail and punch, and the difference is very noticeable. The engineers at Technics did enough minor changes over the years to give major improvements in the sound.

I paid approx. $400 for two and a DJ mixer thrown in. Sold one for a nice sum which means I got one for almost free. Still need a cart for it.

Free is good!!! I wasn't quite so lucky.

I've tried a Shure M97Xe (~$60), a Denon DL-103 (~$130) and an Audio Technica AT440MLa (~$100) on my SL1200MK2 and of the three I like the AT440 the best. All three work very well on the SL1200 though.

HMMM... I was toying with the idea of selling my SL1200. Maybe I'll hang on to it fo a bit longer.

DOH!

[:'(]

I don't know why I didn't notice this sooner! I have been holding out and saving up for a KAB version of this and I guess I waited too long. I just couldn't say no when some Heresys came up for sale so close to home a few months ago. I have a Shure M97Xe just waiting for me to install on a decent turntable. I even have a small stash of LPs that I wasn't going to play until I had a "worthy" table.

edit: I guess the big question is what is as good or better for the money?

Talked to KAB today... they are all out. The guy at KAB was great to talk to! He was incredibly helpful and answered all my rambling questions!

It looks like there are still a few out there but the prices are starting to shoot skyward. B & H photo had some but they are getting expensive quick! [^o)]

If you can get an SL-1210M5G Grand Master from B&H, I'd grab it right away. It's the top of the line and the upgraded tonearm wiring and RCA cables do make for improved sound.

The dustcover comes without hinges, but you can order them from Kevin at KAB for only $24.95. When I got my M5G, I soon got tired of lifting the dustcover on and off every time I used the turntable and figured it would get dropped or scratched up sooner or later, so I went for the hinge kit.

I bought a new SL-1200 MKII new from Amazon a couple of years ago when the had them for around $300. I don't play a lot of records anymore but I get a smile on my face every time I use it; what a nicely made piece of equipment! I will give it to the kids in 30 or 40 years when it is time to go into the old folks home.