BEWARE OF GEICO!!!

CECAA850

I recently changed my homeowners insurance over to GEICO. Due to my proximity to the coast, I need windstorm insurance in addition to my homeowners insurance. Due to recent hurricanes in our area, most insurance companies are not offering windstorm policies but the State of Texas has set up coverage. Basically, you pay your premiums to GEICO and they in turn pay the state for coverage on your house. During the process of purchasing insurance, the state comes and inspects your house to see if it is hurricane worthy. I had 2 small additions to my house that had not been certified, so I had to pay a $400.00 penalty. According to my e-mail agent, I would receive a refund when the additions were inspected by an engineer (at my expense) and the state received the appropriate documentation. WELL, the state now has the certifications and GEICO will not refund my money as promised in writing in e-mail correspondance. I went over the agents head to her supervisor, copied and pasted the appropriate dialog where I was promised a refund and sent that to the supervisor. That was about a month ago, with a couple of "were working on it" anf "I'll let you know " e-mails sent.

HERE'S THE GOOD PART.

I checked my e-mail box this morning and ALL correspondance between my original agent and me has been retrieved and removed from my inbox!!! I had several "Message Recalled" notices and all of the prior e-mails are gone. Luckily, I had printed a couple of them. I have now filed a complaint with the TX. dept of insurance.

Stay tuned.

Couple of things:

Be sure you print and keep copies of all the "recall" emails. Also, I'm not 100% sure but these "recall" emails may contain properties that could be used as proof of who deleted them from your inbox.

In the future (too late to help in this case) if you use en email program such as Outlook Express, it will automatically store copies of all the emails you receive on your computer. So no one can delete them except you or someone with access to your computer.

You might look to see if the Web Interface that you currently use to access your email saves copies of the emails you send out. Some of those "sent" emails may contain portions (or all) of the emails they had sent to you which you were replying to. Geico would not be able to "recall" your sent emails.

Good Luck!

I spent some time with ATT (my isp) this morning. They can not retrieve anything that was sent from another party even though some of the e-mails contained several responses from me. Geico DID clean out my sent folder also as far as e-mails that I responded to. I had no idea that it was even possible to do that.

If they go to this great of a length to keep from paying something that the told me they would, I can't imagine the hoops you would have to jump through if you actually had a claim.

how did they delete those? does that mean that they got access to your comuter somehow or were these emailed stored on their server? they are going through some pretty underhanded stuff just to save $400--that's probably a drop in the bucket to them. i guess that lizard is getting too big for his britches!

The heading on the e-mail said "Recall" and then the subject that was in the original message. When you open it, it say, something to the effect of "(agents name) would like to recall (subject heading). I don't know how they did it but I'm glad I have SOME printed proof. One of the messages they sent actually had a copy of the original e-mail that could be seen when you hit "reply". In that one, they went in and deleted the reference to a refund before they sent it.

I spent some time with ATT (my isp) this morning. They can not retrieve anything that was sent from another party even though some of the e-mails contained several responses from me. Geico DID clean out my sent folder also as far as e-mails that I responded to. I had no idea that it was even possible to do that.

If they go to this great of a length to keep from paying something that the told me they would, I can't imagine the hoops you would have to jump through if you actually had a claim.

I don't know how they could do that either, without either getting help from AT&T or possibly hacking into your email account somehow. I would definitely get AT&T involved to find out how this was possible. I also use AT&T email (among others) and would like to know what happened here.

I use Outlook Express personally, which as I indicated earlier stores copies of all of my sent and received emails on my hard drive, until I intentionally delete them. My wife and son however simply use the Web Interface, and thus would be subject to the same kind of shenanigans (PC term) as you have run into.

I don't know how they could do that either, without either getting help from AT&T or possibly hacking into your email account somehow. I would definitely get AT&T involved to find out how this was possible. I also use AT&T email (among others) and would like to know what happened here.

My e-mall address is username@sbcglobal.net, which I get from AT&T. I did a "live chat" this morning with a tech (most likely in asia somewhere) and they really weren't much help.

I did a "live chat" this morning with a tech (most likely in asia somewhere) and they really weren't much help.

Imagine that.

I wish you luck Carl.

Thanks. I've pretty much written off any hope of them doing the right thing and giving me my refund (although I would take it). My main objective now is causing them as much grief as possible, and then switching companies when the policy expires. I'd switch now but what do you think the chances are of me getting a quick refund on the remainder of my policy?

seems to me that if that were able to delete emails from your computer that must have been done illegally and most likely by some lower-level worker trying to cover his butt and not some corporate master plan. i also guess that for a sharp computer whiz, it's probably not difficult to determine exactly how it was done. how high up the geico chain of command have you talked? if something illegal was done, i'm sure someone in the company will try to "make you happy" to avoid being sued.

According to the tech I "chatted" with at AT&T, the sender can recall their e-mails, which I can (almost) understand.

GEICO, being an internet based company isn't very phone friendly. I suppose it's worth a try to get ahold of someone in customer relations.

As far as who deleted it goes........... The person who sent them is the first person I talked to during the sales process. I would imagine that she's the lowest person on the totem pole. She had to recall the messages as she was the one who sent them. I've sent an e-mail to her supervisor and questioned the ethics of the act, but surprisingly[;)], I've not heard back. I've tried handling this by e-mail mostly due to the fact that I can temper my statements better than when I talk on the phone. I have a bit of a sarcastic, sharp side to me when I get pissed and I usually can get more accomplished when I write.

fun fact GEICO = government employees insurance company

i was with them for awhile and the rates went up over time for no apparant reason..never experienced the claim process.

now i have a "guy" i call, he is an agent, he is a real person and he lives in my town. wow, what a concept.

it does sound almost criminal or unethical to destroy the fact chain as they are attempting to do to you..

with my system at work, recalling of messages is only successful IF the recipient hasn't opened the email yet. once they open it, it's out there now. they get a message saying that the sender wants to recall the message; but, it doesn't disappear from the recipient's mailbox.

Well..... I just got off the phone with another one of their reps. Aparantly they've gotten my complaint from the state. Their position is that no one from their company promised me anything and they don't have the ability to retrieve sent e-mails. The conversation went down hill from there with them digging their heels in (as insurance company's love to do) and me asking him questions that he had no answers to other than "This is our policy".

He could not answer the question of why there was a stack of "Recalled Messages" in my inbox and all prior correspondance gone. He also said that he read all of our correspondance and never saw the part where I was told I would get a refund. I said that either he was being deceived by the people giving him information or he was plain lying (I believe the latter to be the case).

The little green lizard should be hanging his head in shame.