k horn top section for center channel

winchester21

I am presently running 2 K horns with 2" wood horns- 2" JBL drivers 2440s I think not sure- modded belles for surrounds- stock(for now) industrial lascalas for rears- loads of outboard power- ALK universal crossovers on the K horns- - stock Lascala center for now

I am thinking about building a k horn top section for a center- using 2" wood horn with JBL driver mounted on the wal with no bass bin as I understand than no bass is used in center channel program material.

is this dooable as a 2 way speaker and whatkind of crossover setup would be required??

Thanks in advance

I have no idea how much you need below 400hz. Here's what I'd try... Take one of your Khorns, seperate the top half. Hook the top half to your center output and see what you think.

I can't help but to think when people say "the center is your most important channel" that you really don't want to cut the bottom off. Then again, I admit my ignorance so maybe do this instead. Move a LaScala top to the front center, keeping your flanking Khorns intact. I think you might now get a real world idea of how it will work?

Why not run the same 2" wood horn and 2" JBL driver on top of a La Scala bass bin? If you use the same Universal crossover they should sound pretty close. I've heard Al Klappenberger say that you could use his AP12-350 (mid to bass crossover meant for Khorn) on a La Scala if the La Scala was being used as a center channel. I bet the Universal would work well this way too.

If need be, the La Scala bass bin could be put to one side of your screen since lower frequencies are less directional. (I would still keep it in the front.) Then the Khorn top could be centered over or below your screen. In the Garage Sale area there is a La Scala bass bin on sale right now for $125.

Edit: Sorry. I missed you were already using a La Scala as a center. I bought a split La Scala to match my Khorns for the front channels. My plan is to do what I mentioned above.

I think you will be missing way too much information if you cut off below 400 Hz.

Larry

If you are using a stock LS for a center, just disconncet the woofer part of the LS network and test you'll get a feel for what it will sound like, sans your pereference for drivers and horns mods. You be a ble to hear what the abscence of the basss bin does. I tried seomtihng similar many years ago by connecting the LSI MF/HF section I have. I found the missing bass was pretty noticable but from 400 HZ up I had a seemless match.

I seriously doubt this will work. Pete is correct about the vocals. BTW, whoever told you there is little bass information in movies is seriously mistaken.

Do this as an experiment. Send the entire center channel to one of you Khorns and listen to any recent movie for a while. Then, unhook the bass bin and listen to the same material. I believe you will answer this question easily.

I am presently running 2 K horns with 2" wood horns- 2" JBL drivers 2440s I think not sure- modded belles for surrounds- stock(for now) industrial lascalas for rears- loads of outboard power- ALK universal crossovers on the K horns- - stock Lascala center for now

I am thinking about building a k horn top section for a center- using 2" wood horn with JBL driver mounted on the wal with no bass bin as I understand than no bass is used in center channel program material.

is this dooable as a 2 way speaker and whatkind of crossover setup would be required??

Thanks in advance

Winchester,

You absolutely do need the Bass bin on your center channel. Since Bass is more omni directional, you can move the bass binn somewhat off center in a split configuration to help save room, but it will not sound correct without it. The lack of a Bass bin will become more and less promounced, depending on the surround mode you are in, but try unhooking your La Scalas Bass Bin and experiment and you will see what I mean.

Roger

This is precisely how I ran my center channel arrangement. I ran a JBL 2482 mid and their baby cheeks tweeter on all 3 units and I employed matched crossovers on all 3 units. I did this because the separation was quite small with the Khorns on a 15 foot wall. That said I do not employ the center channel any longer. I brought in an RSW 15 sub and simply did not have the space for the center channel. I do not miss the center mono channel all that much and the sub adds more depth to the Khorns. If I ever get a home with a wider wall I'll reintroduce the center channel.