Musician Quotes

seti

"Nevertheless the passions, whether violent or not, should never be so expressed as to reach the point of causing disgust; and music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music."

"When I am traveling in a carriage, or walking after a good meal, or during the night when I cannot sleep; it is on such occasions that ideas flow best and most abundantly."

"Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Mozart_%28unfinished%29_by_Lange_1782.jp

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite isn't from a musician per se' but rather about the music business, supposedly from Hunter S. Thompson.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long
plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like
dogs. There's also a negative side."

My next favorite, this one from a muscian (Brian Eno I believe) "possessions are just a fast way of converting money into problems"

"...it seems a stray bullet actually pierced the ******** of a Union
soldier and lodged itself in the ovaries of a woman standing
approximately 100 ft. away. She's alright, the baby's doing
fine...ofcourse the soldier's a little pissed off..."

"All the donuts have names that sound like prostitutes"

"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away"

"There's a place down the street; Seven Xs. What does that mean? Maybe it's... girls without skin."

Tom_Waits.jpg

Tom Waits

• 2 weeks later...

Turning corporations loose and letting the profit motive run amok is not a prescription for a more livable world.

Sometimes I actually start to think human life is just as cheap to corporate America as animal life, so long as there are big profits to be made. Tom Scholz

• 1 year later...

This is known as the "low brass credo," attributed to Charlie Vernon of the Chicago Symphony. Insert your own profanity in the blanks. "Blow the _______ ______ out of it man and don't give a _________ inch and let'm know you're back there and that you don't give a ______ about their temper mental prima donna horse _____ attitudes because you are a LOW BRASS PLAYER and that means you got to ______________' nail it to the wall and to that you got to be a real _______________ man, with a chin (dwandle-deedle) and that means you're gonna by-God nail and plow and wahf and drag and push the "lead the whole damn section" through every part no matter what it is - Mozart or Mahler (hell they're all the same ain't they, besides a 'fortsando is a fortsando') and if they don't like it they can by-God find another player because you don't need their ______ money and those sissy-____ conductors and tin eared string players (those _____ 'think' they can hear the grass grow) and the _____ twiddly-dink woodwind players that are so sure that all low brass players want to play loud all the time CAN JUST KISS MY _____ and if they don't want to pay you double-_____ scale, they can simply get _____________ for all you care cause they couldn't replace you with a player half as good and they can just stick that bloody contract up their aristocratic __________ cause if they don't appreciate a big _________ sound with some body and breadth and projection and carrying power, you don't want any part of this orchestra (such ________ management anyway) and they can take the whole symphony society and/or art alliance and shove it cause you're fed up with this amateur bull______ and they can come across with some real bread or ________ off or they'll be hunting another player because you've got a million other offers and you've got no problem playing the horn because you can _______ read!"