Emotiva UPA-7 Closeout Price $599

SuBXeRo

really? i gotta listen to that podcast then. If i remeber correctly, they are releasing new models this year so who knows what goodies they will be providing.

To me, 7 channel amps are great, all in one package, most people dont need 7 channels though. Most soundtracks are still in 5.1 format. 7 channel is nice especially if you want to have a zone 2, the extra channels can power it.

In their webcast this month, they mentioned there just isn't a high enough demand for 7 channel amps. Most people are going with 2ch, 5ch or one of each for 7.1 systems.

I don't think it is that they have no demand for 7 channel amps but people mostly want 7 channel amps with more power than the UPA-7. Emotiva is about to come out with a new 7 channel amp with their new coming XPR series.

"XPR-7: 350 watts RMS @ 8 ohms per channel, all
channels driven
600 watts RMS @ 4 ohms per channel, all channels
driven. Projected price $1999.00

How do you know how much power you need? I asked in another forum if Klipsch offered "recommendations" on pairings. etc. Ultra THX II go great with 200 watts, etc. If I run the THX Ultra IIs... how much power do I need? AVR 110 power, AVR 140 power, UPA 125 power, Sunfire 250 power?

I listened to the podcast. No demand for the 7 channel amp, plus the UPA just doesnt cut it in the power department. More people were putting xpas together.

I'm afraid you're quite mistaken, the upa 7 has plenty power for 7's.If you have some old electrostats maybe get more power.I've had up to 550 watts per channel on 7's and the upa 7 sounds just as good and provides more power than I'll ever use.The noise floor is also better than the xpa on 7's.My speakers sound as if they may blow apart long before my volume dial gets close to max.

How do you know how much power you need? I asked in another forum if Klipsch offered "recommendations" on pairings. etc. Ultra THX II go great with 200 watts, etc. If I run the THX Ultra IIs... how much power do I need? AVR 110 power, AVR 140 power, UPA 125 power, Sunfire 250 power?

kde,

If you have a bigger room and listen at reference levels, you would likely need a good solid 100-150watts per channel to stay clean (with reasonable head room). The typical 97db klipsch speaker will usually only be around 93-94 db in the home and considering that the THX II configuration is a dual woofer speaker, they would likely be happy with a fair amount of current.

On the plus side, depending on where you are crossing to the subs, you may not be eating an amplifier alive. The UPA-7 might do ok. I'm thinking of buying it just to tri-amp. One box with 6+ amps vs having my 6 mononblocks with wires running all over.

that doesnt mean I paid thatWink

I know, I paid quite a bit less for my two amps new than their current prices since I bought them on sale and when prices were lower . But I know a lot of people aren't aware of recent price increases at Emotiva.

i believe i got my xpa-5 at 699 as well. I can understand their need to hike the prices alittle bit, and so goes the economy. their current price is a bit more but in the grand scheme of things, still an excellent price.

Yes Emotiva amps are still excellent deals even with the price increases. Also the price increase helped to raise the value of the amps for those of us who already owned them. [:)]

damn it,i gave in.

called emotiva and put in an order for the UPA7, ships mid Feb.

i have been scouting CL, ebay, audiogon for older B&K, Carver, Parasound, etc. and figured it probably gonna cost be around $500-$700 anyway to get 7 channels of amps that were 10-15yrs old.

why not pay the same price for TODAY's technology, that's going to last me at least 10-15 yrs?

Did taxes last night and the results are favorable, so my UPA-7 is reserved. Plan is to drive the La Scalas and Heresys on five channels and build a THT to be driven with one of the other channels, and if one's not enough, I'll still have a channel left to hang another THT from.