Lots of Newbies, What's up with that?

russ69

Greetings to all of the newbies !

And greetings to all of the lurkers ! !

I probably fall into both categories.

I have been a forum member for 9 years.

I lurk almost every day.

But I don't post very often.

I found this site after doing a search on eBay 9 years ago to see if there was anyone selling a pair of the best sounding speakers that I had ever heard - but could not afford to purchase new. Much to my delight, there was someone selling some used LaScalas. I did an internet search, and discovered that Klipsch sponsored this forum. To use an often times overused, but highly accurate expression, the rest is history.

Take a look at my SYSTEM PROFILE and it will become fairly obvious and quite clear how I was influenced by the variety of threads on a variety of audio topics that have been discussed within this forum.

I don't think I would have 3/4 of the equipment in my profile had I not read about the direct, first-hand, experiences of other members of this forum.

Experiences that I learned to trust as I began sampling the water for myself and I learned which members had tastes similar to my own. Some of those members are long gone. Some are still here. And some are "newbies" who just don't post very often. I have only you all to thank for helping me to spend my money!!! Problem is, once I buy an item to experiment with, I can't let go of it because it then has intrinsic value as a "point-of-reference" for future acquisitions. That's why I have a rack full of electronics, cases full of tubes, cartons full of cables, shelves full of test equipment, cabinets full of reference LP's and CD's, and a room full of speakers! But when I have a house full of friends listening to my system(s) . . . . . it is all worth while ! ! !

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am a newbie... better late than never right.

My “story”… I was a huge JBL guy until April 28, 2010 when I heard something new. I was out acquiring audio equipment for a sound system we were putting on top of our Hood to Coast van (whole other story I won’t bore you with). Anyway, I’m at a gentleman's house and every room has its own system. Some have everything (flatscreen 7.1) and others are just 2 channel but have 3 or 4 sets of speakers side by side. We pass his living room and Chains by Fleetwood Mac is playing. I love this song anyway but I had never heard it sound like this. I asked him, “what speakers are playing this song?”. He shows me his Chorus II’s. We spent at least an hour listening to various artists. Ever since that day, I have been looking for a pair of Chorus II’s. As you can see, I now have a pair of Chorus I's and Forte II’s. I search CL everyday. I hope to get an older Sansui Receiver this summer. I also like the looks of the 70's Pioneer receivers like the 1050 but some of you say it doesn’t sound as good as say a G-7000. Yes, I know that I should be on the look out for a SET tube amp (based on what I read on different forums) but quite frankly tube equipment intimidates me. I have no experience with it and they are expensive. I can get a SS for my budget range on CL, clean it up and if I don’t like how it sounds, normally sell it for what I paid for it. Yes, I could probably do the same with tube equipment but again, no knowledge/experience = more likely to get burned.

I appreciate and respect all of you more experienced audiophiles. I enjoy reading your posts and adding to my knowledge of the classic 2 channel gear. I agree, it would be tragic if the Audiovox changed what Klipsch has built up these past 50 years. I only take comfort in the fact that Klipsch speakers hold up over time and if patient, I can get them on the used market. Someday I will have Bob Crites upgrades to all my speakers, a 7.1 system using Forte II”s and some Khorns in my 2-channel man cave.

Hey

My wife and her sisters did the portland to coast walk part about 5 to 7 yrs ago. I drove support. 2 days of no sleep and driving back roads in oregon. Well I'm not an experience audiophile, not really an audiophile at all. I just like my klipsch speakers. Started with Forte II's in 89 and now have progressed to upgraded Belles and 6 forte II's, quartets and a couple of academy's. I had forte II's in a 7.1 channel 5 fortes and 2 quartets, Sounded great. Welcome

I was hoping it was maybe the next generation of Klipsch fans that are just now, getting out of the incubation period of the disease and it's taking hold. (Yes guys.... you are all that old Stick out tongue)

I think you hit it on the nose, or maybe it has something to do with all the vodka we've been drinking.[D]

But I will say there seems to be a lot more over in the garage sale section or maybe that's just were I have been hanging out lately. but on a higher note like c minor, someone had said something along the lines of older fellows or lady's that are not internet savoy. I in the last year have gotten my dad hooked on 2 channel. I thought once i got him set up with his r5s and Sansui receiver he would be set, then next thing I know he was wanting my old stuff to try out. If I could just get him on the internet(first I would have to get him to get a comp). Then he would be on here all the time spending his money on great gear so I or I mean we can check it out.

the dude

I consider myself a newbie. I have been lurking for six years now. This forum has kept my interest in audio, ( I bought my Khorns new in 78), even though I wavered in the 90's. I got new crossovers from this site (ALK), and led me to Juicy Music, then allowed someone else to own them after I moved to something else. I do check this site on a regular basis, some of you guys are so serious, I am not that smart or confratational. I need to post pictures of my room and my dogs, (Dtel gave me directions last year-Thanks). I hope Klipsch continues. I would like to do a Pilgramage to show how shallow I really am, I have relatives in Arkadelphia! Great sound is wonderful!

ou beleev me you manny reggulars are not at all smarts dep't. thusly dont' be intemidaited

If you really give a crap, I own some Klipsch, a bunch of other speakers, a bunch of amps of all different flavors, a bunch of cd/dvd players, a couple turntables, an active crossover, and several pre-amps.

Your disease is probably further along than some of the newer posters. We've been getting a lot of the "I need a new amp" (receiver) questions and then you look and we don't know what speakers they have and whatnot. When we are trying to help, it helps if we know the bigger picture. Even if you have been in this hobby a long time other guys might be able to see something that you have missed so posting systems or at least telling us a little something about your system helps.

I've owned a bunch of stuff but it really doesn't tell us much about your current situation. And yes, we do really give a crap, lol!

[bs] list your geer and you they try to get humailiated try audio asayulum and see for your-selve

+++++

manny theefs read posts to find victums

To expand a bit on my age comment... (not that anyone really cares... I just don't want to go back to the project I'm working on quite yet)

I grew up in a small/moderate sized town. Like many, I went through school with many many of the same people. Some guys that I knew in Kindergarten, I still know today.

By the time my 'era' got to high school, we knew that "this house" was where John Doe lived, and "that house" was where Mary Smith lived and "that other house"....and on....

I graduated and went off to college. After graduating there, I moved out of state and never lived in my home town again.

I've been back there for various reasons including some reunions.

What struck me as interest is TODAY, as I might go by "this house" (where John Doe lived) or "that house" where Mary Smith lived or "that other house....and on... instead of being classmates who were growing up in that house, in some cases, it's now a different class mate that OWNS that house and is raising their children.... as the circle continues.

So it might be with us fogies here. We've had our time in the spotlight for a length of time and now, the next generation is starting to discover the spotlight and creep into it from stage left.... as we continue our path towards stage right.

In time, it shall be "the next generation" who is here cutting up with each other and some of us will pop in to post with our cantankerous thoughts typed from our rocking chair.

To expand a bit on my age comment... (not that anyone really cares... I just don't want to go back to the project I'm working on quite yet)

I grew up in a small/moderate sized town. Like many, I went through school with many many of the same people. Some guys that I knew in Kindergarten, I still know today.

By the time my 'era' got to high school, we knew that "this house" was where John Doe lived, and "that house" was where Mary Smith lived and "that other house"....and on....

I graduated and went off to college. After graduating there, I moved out of state and never lived in my home town again.

I've been back there for various reasons including some reunions.

What struck me as interest is TODAY, as I might go by "this house" (where John Doe lived) or "that house" where Mary Smith lived or "that other house....and on... instead of being classmates who were growing up in that house, in some cases, it's now a different class mate that OWNS that house and is raising their children.... as the circle continues.

So it might be with us fogies here. We've had our time in the spotlight for a length of time and now, the next generation is starting to discover the spotlight and creep into it from stage left.... as we continue our path towards stage right.

In time, it shall be "the next generation" who is here cutting up with each other and some of us will pop in to post with our cantankerous thoughts typed from our rocking chair.

Your old[|-)]