What to expect with Forte IIs

cornfedksboy

I'm trying to broker a deal for some semi-local Forte IIs and have some questions.

They are said to be excellent condition, oiled oak, consecutive serial numbers, listed for $475.00. Price seems reasonable to me. Does anyone think this is still too high?

I want these for a 2 channel set-up. What am I looking at for cost on a good receiver/amp and cd player? I know nothing about tubes, but would be interested to go that route if it is reasonably economic, just for something different.

Thanks for any opinions on this.

Jason

I think if in like new condition the $475 is reasonable. I would try to get him down to $450 if possible. As for what you can expect, I would think

you will be pleasantly surprised. I do not have personal experiance with the Forte IIs, but I have Fortes and Chorus IIs. I am always amazed

by either pair and happy that I own them. Go for it I am sure you will be more then happy with your purchase. The best thing you have going is

that he says they are in excellent condition. Go see them and whatever flaws you find in them you can use that as leverage to lower the price.

Good luck.

Bliss. I absolutely love my Forte's and my Quartet's.

Forte II = Forte/Quartet hybrid = super bliss

I have used many combos with my Fortes and Quartets-----90's Denon integrated, 80's Denon seperates, Onkyo HT receiver/B&K amp combo, NAD HT receiver/B&K amp combo, Marantz vintage receiver, NAD receiver alone, Marantz vintage receiver/Acurus amp combo. None of these combinations left me wanting for more. They are absolutely incredible speakers.

listed for $475.00. Price seems reasonable to me. Does anyone think this is still too high?

$475.00 is a good price but should not hurt to offer $450.00. I bought my mint condition Forte's for $450.00 two years ago and don't think I overpaid

Bill

What to expect? Better midrange than your RF62, much more resolving and detailed. Drier bass; they like corners more, and with proper placement dig very deep. Pure Heritage goodness, that bigger than life presentation. I expect your RF's to sit in silence for extended periods while you play with your new toys.

I paid $365 for some less than minty ones (prob 7/10 or so).

Presently using an old NAD amp, and it's making the forte's sing beautifully. They like plenty of juice.

Better midrange than your RF62, much more resolving and detailed.

I expect your RF's to sit in silence for extended periods while you play with your new toys.

While it is true that the Forte/Forte II have better midrange than most if not all of the Reference series(including RF-62's), with a good musical sub blended properly, the RF-62's can sound really good and somewhat imitate a 3-way speaker. I know my RF-63's sure do and get just about as much of a workout in 2-channel as my Forte's or Quartet's. Okay maybe not quite as much use for music as my Forte's but still enjoyed very often.

Bill

Fortes are giant killers!

Hmm, nice to know about the RF 63's. My local Klipsch dealer said he would sell me a set at cost so I'm considering it.

He's a very different cat this fellow. He runs an old school stereo shop where he sells the new Klipsch line and the Pioneer Elite series. The place is in a very rundown part of town and the building is literally falling apart. I can't help but think the end is near for him so it's kind of sad (his shop that is, although he is pretty old too).

I still can't believe that he allows his patrons to just put down a down payment for the stuff and make payments for the rest. All in house with NO financing company! All he asks for is your name, address and phone number. Who in their right mind does that these days?? A dying breed in deed.

I live in a small city in Canada with a pop of 50, 000 and somehow he got ahold of used Khorns! I think they may have come from the local university but they're mine now! Anyway, I support him anyway I can by buying stuff from him and recommending him to everyone.

Cheers everyone!

i have owned forte II's since 89 when I bought mine new. They are the first klipsch I have ever owned and I will never part with them. I now have 3 pairs that I have used for HT. I now own belles with a v trac upgrade. The belles sound great but the bang for the buck and size of foot print the forte IIs are hard to beat.

Well, I didn't get them. I had a 7 hour round trip journey that was necessary to seal the deal and I couldn't do that until Thursday, so obviously when someone local came with cash, I got stood up for the big dance!

Still planning on purchasing some Chorus, Forte, or Cornwall's for a strict 2-channel set-up in the front room, but that will have to wait until I can find something semi-local at a reasonable price. I really want to be in under $1000.00 for 2 speakers and a 2-channel receiver/amp which I think is very doable if I am patient. I'm not in rush, but I am excited at the prospect of finding a 2-channel heritage system!

Thanks for your help everyone, and once I get some speakers I'll probably revive this thread.

Just to chime in with what others have said: I have owned a pair of Forte I's for over 22 years, and nothing I have heard during that time period, with the exception of Klipschorns, has made music come alive, or fill a room, like the Forte, and this includes modern speakers costing over $5,000/pr. They are very sensitive to upgrades... the better the source and amp, the more they will perform for you.

As a owner of forte II, since new in '92 I also will never part with mine. One day perhaps when my son is in his mid 30's I will let him have. He will be 5 in the middle of May.

As another member mentioned above you cannot beat the performance of a forte/forte II other than a Klipsch horn and few of us have the real estate required to set them up properly.

Sorry to hear that you missed out on this pair, but be patient and you will find a pair soon, and never ever regret the wait.

My only advice; having heard both on the same night.....

Expand your search to include Chorus IIs.

The Forte's bigger brother.

They both pounced; but the Chorus IIs seemed to present a bigger soundstage (in a bigger room).

I would be lucky to own either...... Till then; My Heresies with a sub are holding their own nicely......

Good Luck!

well... post some pics! Looking in to fleshing out my 2 channel setup better- got some sweet vintage KLH model 6 that I am sure I will want to upgrade to a larger set like the Forte or Cornwall- Ive been looking at old Altecs too- I have some late 80s Altecs that really rocked hard 831b's I believe, but need fresh crossover work.

My only advice; having heard both on the same night.....

Expand your search to include Chorus IIs.

The Forte's bigger brother.

They both pounced; but the Chorus IIs seemed to present a bigger soundstage (in a bigger room).

I would be lucky to own either...... Till then; My Heresies with a sub are holding their own nicely......

Good Luck!

Yep...I am in the hunt for Fortes, Chorus, or Cornwalls (I, II, or III). I have narrowed my search to those based on footprint and bass output as I REALLY want to use a 2 channel, no sub, set-up with amp for under a grand. I think I will be able to accomplish my mission so long as I wait it out. I really won't have anywhere to put them for another month or two anyways as we are remodeling our basement and kitchen. No storage, house is wreck, etc. I'm trying to put together a 5.1 system for the new HT build in progress, potty training the two year old, baby on way, mass hysteria, dogs and cats playing together!!!

...and all I want is some damn Fortes for the front room! [:D]

It will happen, but probably just as well that I wait!