What do forte II's sound like

SuBXeRo

i was thinking that if i got a pair i would paint them black to beh onest or find a black pair. If not that, i would sand down the grain to eliminate the stain and put on a really nice dark espresso/cabernet/mahogany type stain. One thing that kills me is the mesh style of the speaker grill cloth, i like a finer mesh, they, atleast in pictures, look very coarse. I would also want to extend the frame around the front as i dont really like the wood trim around it. It would, in my opinion just give it a classy look or a more modern look depending on what color stain or paint i used.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was thinking that if i got a pair i would paint them black to beh onest or find a black pair. If not that, i would sand down the grain to eliminate the stain and put on a really nice dark espresso/cabernet/mahogany type stain. One thing that kills me is the mesh style of the speaker grill cloth, i like a finer mesh, they, atleast in pictures, look very coarse. I would also want to extend the frame around the front as i dont really like the wood trim around it. It would, in my opinion just give it a classy look or a more modern look depending on what color stain or paint i used.

Seriously...... You have got to HEAR these speakers.

After you pick up your jaw from the ground and breathe deep breaths for a few minutes......

It will all become clear........

There is nothing wrong with reveneering; but the particular pair you posted are Walnut; and can be tinted darker; or even more Cherry colored depending on your preference.

I think Walnut looks the most beautiful of all.......

I would only replace the speaker cloth if the originals were damaged or discolored.

My KV-4 came with kitty claw marks all over the cloth.

It was very easy to replace.

You could find many suitable fabrics at a local JoAnn fabrics; or similar store.

(I think I paid like $7.00).

I will be recovering my KG 3s grilles as they had wax imbedded in them.

I posted a how to a few months back when I did the KV 4.

One thing that kills me is the mesh style of the speaker grill cloth, i like a finer mesh, they, atleast in pictures, look very coarse.

Actually, the Chorus I and Forte I have peg style grills with a coarser tecture but the Chorus II's, Forte II's, and Quartets have a finer magnetic grill.

Painting them black is a great idea. Look how Clermontcop(Matt) put a piano gloss finish on his Chorus's.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/139004.aspx?PageIndex=6

Bill

I won't lie when I read that I got that sick feeling in my gut I get when watching a movie and they trash a classic muscle car. I know in reality they usually wreck a junker painted up to look like the other one but still a waste of parts if nothing else... But anyway I'd hate to see a nice pair of Forte IIs go down that road.

If you're going to do that I'd wait for a rougher pair. Since you're painting them anyway no difference to you and you'll probably get them a lot cheaper.

But to echo whats been said before I think you need to get a pair of Forte IIs in your house and hear them. Placement is important so you may have to play with them a bit but when you get it right its great!!!!

personally, i am turned off by the stlying of the heritage series, i mean, when i think 70-80's and very early 90's, heritage style speakers are what come to mind. I am more a fan of the slender deeper cabinets but then again, these are two different animals

They are a "traditional" shaped speaker, but in all honesty after you give them a listen, I bet you will throw the skinny's to the curb. As far as the GF goes, if she enjoys music she will hear the difference.

• Moderators

I know I am not a Rf person.

We were done remodeling my daughters bedroom, she has RB-75's. The speakers were already wired up and just sitting off to the side and I moved them to where they would go not really paying attention. I walked away and looked back and noticed I I had them sideways. At first I couldn't figure it out until I noticed I put the wide side forward. [:o]

dtel- that is hilarious!

My gf LOVES the looks of our LaScalas, more so than our RF stuff. We're only 29-30yrs old, but we both have kinda "old souls", love things with a history. She loves heirloom quality furniture, a big ol' pair of LSs fits right in!

All this said, I believe there is room for both Rf and Heritage.

Love the LSs, love the 7's.

The forte II is the "Hidden Jewel" of the extended Heritage line. As far as I am concerned, the best sounding speaker Klipsch ever produced when you factor in foot print and other real world variables.

As far as looks, they are a traditional design with a somewhat 70's retro look. I find them much more attractive than skinny 2 way designs of today.

forte II speakers will take anything, and I mean anything you throw at them and faithfully reproduce every nuance of sound from rock to jazz to classical.

Buy a pair and get rid of the 2-way design! [Y]

The forte II is the "Hidden Jewel" of the extended Heritage line. As far as I am concerned, the best sounding speaker Klipsch ever produced when you factor in foot print and other real world variables.

As far as looks, they are a traditional design with a somewhat 70's retro look. I find them much more attractive than skinny 2 way designs of today.

forte II speakers will take anything, and I mean anything you throw at them and faithfully reproduce every nuance of sound from rock to jazz to classical.

Buy a pair and get rid of the 2-way design! Yes

I have often wondered why klipsch doesnt really do 3 way designs anymore. Except for the palladium which most of the world cant afford.

Buy a pair and get rid of the 2-way design! Yes

I have often wondered why klipsch doesnt really do 3 way designs anymore. Except for the palladium which most of the world cant afford.

Klipsch still makes 3 way Heritage Speakers. ( Heresey IIIs; Cornwall IIIs; LaScalas are still made; so are K Horns).

I like the look of the Legend series; KLF 20s/ KLF 30s. (More slender; yet still 3 way)...... Those have not been made for ten years.

They are more rare to find and usually start around $700......

That might be a great solution to your sound vs. aestetics problem..... (If you can find them)

Agree 100%! It hasbeen rumored that the forte/chorus line nearly canibalized the cornwall market when they were borth available new. In 1992, I paid $875.00 for my pair of forte II new, those from the Midwest may rember the chain United Audio, which then was bought out by Tweeter. Both are now defunct retailers. Today Klipsch would need to sell at the price point of a pair of cornwall's to make a profit on a reissue of a forte let alone a chorus model. Cornwall's now retail for about $1,875.00 per speaker if memory serves me correctly.

Agree 100%! It hasbeen rumored that the forte/chorus line nearly canibalized the cornwall market when they were borth available new. In 1992, I paid $875.00 for my pair of forte II new, those from the M

Cost, complexity, and manufacturing efficiency.

idwest may rember the chain United Audio, which then was bought out by Tweeter. Both are now defunct retailers. Today Klipsch would need to sell at the price point of a pair of cornwall's to make a profit on a reissue of a forte let alone a chorus model. Cornwall's now retail for about $1,875.00 per speaker if memory serves me correctly.