Klipschornoob

-Gil-

Hello all,

Been a long time on this forum just to learn, and I think I'm ready to post some questions for you.

I'm from France & I have a pair of RF-62 for Audio & HC...

As I'm about to change for a biger house, I was looking for Klipschorn in France.

I have found only 2 pairs for sale. By chance, I have found a pair very close to where I live.

I haven't eard them yet, but I will very soon. All I can tell if I have learnt well is :

Birch raw 1984 Klipschorn with TWEETER K-77-F 1, MIDRANGE K-55-X 2, WOOFER K-33-E 15

Here are the pics I have :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What do you think ? I know the price difference between USA & France is a lot (shipping & customs) but how much these would cost ?

I'll be back soon when eard, I'll take more pics also to show in details

Also, all you can tell me about would be great

Thanks a lot

Gil

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Russ

With the pics, is there a way to know if it is made with Baltic birch ? or do I have to measure the thickness ?

Someone told me the bass was better with it ? True or myth ? and was only built with before the 80's ?

In the other hand, the second pair of french KHorns for sell are Walnut 1976 with new Bob Crite's filters & wires

But... It's a loooong travel to go to listen them, aprox. 900 km

Witch one would be the best for you & why ?

Thanks a lot

Gil

i would have to see pictures of the 76's but i would go for walnut k-horns every day of the week over birch raw. i'm pretty sure they used baltic birch so no worries.

my fav klipsch speakers are the early ones with the pie slice logo made up to 1975 and then the laser logos from 1976-77 and 78.

i had k-horns from 1986 second pair from 1988 and my last pair from 2003

Here are the pics I have for the 76'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, I want the Khorn sound, no matter if it's raw or walnut... I say that but maybe or surely my girlfriend will have another pov

We must go to listen 'em both & we'll see...

no doubt get the 76 pair. you won't regret it. there will be the letter P in the serial number for 1976

also check on the label ( if you can read it ) for WO or WL for walnut oil or wanut lacquer from the factory.

Hi Gil,

I'm from Belgium and as far as I can say you're already lucky to find TWO pairs for sale at the same time in France... haven't seen a pair for sale in a long time (but I'm not really looking, quite happy with my modded LaScalas :-))

I'd say go for the walnut k-horns if your budget allows. Not only do they look better, but tey have the good alnico midrange and new crossovers. Only thing you might like to change is the tweeters... those round alnico K77 sound weak IMO and they're prone to failure if you like to crank it up. But changing the tweeters doesnt cost much and they'll probably be very enjoyable as is.

Mine are WO (and have been upgraded to Crites tweeters and crossovers) and I wouldn't trade them for plain birch. I drove a bit more than 900 km to get them (one way) but gas is a bit cheaper here. I still had to pay 13% tax at the border coming back and the dollar was weak back then; it was still worth it.

No question in my mind -- the '76 B-style veneered pair, over the plywood-surfaced birch raw.

The veneered bass horns are doubly book-matched mirror-images:

• The face of each bass horn is a mirror image of the face of the other
  • Each side of the bass horn is a mirror image of the other side

This symmetry is very elegant IMO.

Also, the top plates are bookmatched between their left and right sides.

In contrast, the birch raw is a random grain, without the symmetry of book-matching.

The visible edges will be veneered, in contrast to showing the plywood layers of the birch raw.

The non-visible surfaces inside the top hat will be painted black as opposed to layered plywood edges in the other.

An important touch is the elegant "collar" between the top and bottom sections of the '76's. The top of the other looks like it's just sitting there.

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957k.jpg

I vote for the 76 pair. Sure it's a long drive, but you'll enjoy them for years. As to price, comparing US prices is of little value to you. It'd be like me asking you what to pay for a used Peugeot in Michigan; totally different market.

Ok guys, thanks a lot for the great feedback, I know now what I have to do... I knew it but I'm now sure ...

I live & work in the north of France with my girlfriend but working in my house near Paris the week-ends to sell it soon, i hope...

So... I am planning to go to listen the birch early next week.

And I'll go to listen and maybe buy the walnut before the end of the month...

But... I have no place at this time to put them somewhere before selling my curent house & find another in the north...

I'm in the mood for Klipschorn, so, I'll have a pair, but maybe I won't listen to them for a time with this lack of a decent place

I'll post soon pics & feelings about the birch when listened

thanks all anyway

Gil

• 2 weeks later...

I just listened to the 84' Birch Raw Klipschorn, and ... I don't know, I have not been transported, I was not disappointed but I certainly expected more ...

Maybe it comes from the very big room, a lobby lounge open by 7 doors and very high ceiling and tiled floors without carpet ...or the amplifier may be inappropriate... or the only 2.5 meters between them...

I did not feel the bass that much ... Clearly these are very good speakers and the reserve of power is enormous, but I don't know, I haven't had a very good sound impression... Also i don't know if the guy really wants to sell them because he wants way too much for them ...

This weekend, I'm going to listen the 76 '

If we fall in Love for them we'll buy 'em

Regards

GIl

They are in the corners of the entrance to the living room, so with a door between the two Khorns.

This is in a designer house, a large stairway in concrete going on from the left and behind them at about 4 meters and is open on the second floor

I don't know if it's really clear...

Offhand, it sounds like a very "hard" room, meaning reflective. As far as bass output, it's tough to get higher low-distortion bass output than the Klipschorn. But, as you know, bass is tricky stuff and room & mode dependant.

This is in a designer house, a large stairway in concrete going on from the left and behind them at about 4 meters and is open on the second floor

I don't know if it's really clear...

A picture or two might help ... We've had a couple of people on the forum who had up and/or down staircases entering their listening rooms, and both were acoustic disasters -- the sound didn't fill the room, the bass was very weak, and imaging was poor. Neither K-horns nor Cornwall pairs seemed to work in those cases.

And, yes, it sounds like a very bright room, not always the best for K-horns.