RF 7ii vs RF 83 for HT

JasonJCarney

Are the rf 7ii's worth the extra $900 over the 83's? I only do home theatre no music. I was planning on the 7's or trying 3 64's to save some cash. But the 83's would save even more. I know nezff runs the 83's but anyone hear both? Just dropped $2300 on subs and the new 64ii and I still want to go with separates at some point so a $900 savings would be helpful. Allthough I don't want to drop $5000 on equipment and decide I made the wrong choice on mains. Anyone with experience want to chime in? Thanks

I know nezff runs the 83's

Not to split hairs, but I think Nezff runs the RF-63's as I do, which are great in HT and 2-channel

I have heard the RF-83's in a HT setting(Youthman), which by the way are incredible, but only heard the RF-7's in 2-channel.

Just dropped $2300 on subs and the new 64ii

Since you do already have the RC-64II, then to have a timber-matched front soundstage, which I think is most important for HT, I suggest the RF-7II's. I do not personally know how the 64II will match up with a pair of RF-83's.

Bill

Are the rf 7ii's worth the extra $900 over the 83's? I only do home theatre no music. I was planning on the 7's or trying 3 64's to save some cash. But the 83's would save even more. I know nezff runs the 83's but anyone hear both? Just dropped $2300 on subs and the new 64ii and I still want to go with separates at some point so a $900 savings would be helpful. Allthough I don't want to drop $5000 on equipment and decide I made the wrong choice on mains. Anyone with experience want to chime in? Thanks

I can tell you that the rf-7ii match the rc-64ii perfect in both sound and looks. When I bought mine I had the same questions if the extra money would be worth it. I like you had just bought the 64ii and had the rf-82 set up so it sounded good but I fell in love with the sound of the 64ii and wanted that sound everywhere. A lot of people will tell you about what they know about the old rf-7 I have seen these two speakers side by side the only thing the same is the name. After that everything else is different the box size, (new 7s are a little deeper and 4” taller), drivers, crossovers, and sound are different. Now I have heard the rf-83(amazing speakers) and tempting for sure. But to my ear it was worth spending the extra money. Everyone’s ear s are different so to each his own. Plus it matches the 64ii I had already so that made it even easier. Look around before you buy you can get them way under retail. I bet you can find them 30-40% off (at min 20%)

I found the 7's for $2200 and the 83's for $1300

You are in a quandry.

Option 1

RF-7II's($2200.00) + RC-64II = perfect match but $900.00 more $$$

Option 2

RF-83's($1300.00) + RC-64II = acceptable match but $900.00 less $$$

Option 3

Return RF-64II(if possible) or sell and find RC-64 with possible $$$ savings

RF-83's($1300.00) + RC-64 = perfect match with savings of +/- $900.00 to apply toward more gear or just pocket.

Tough call.

Bill

Well I'm not going backwards to an rc64

What do you mean going backwards to an RC-64?[:@] Who do you think you are?[8o|]

You can't say that and get away with it, now I have to upgrade.[^o)] Just kidding[;)], I am very content with my setup.

No seriously, I do agree with you. Hard to take a step back even if only minimal. From what I understand by reading about the many happy RF-7II owners on the forum, you should be blown away. If not, I guess you will have to "go backwards" and get those RF-83's.[:D][Y]

Bill

Hey Jason you already have the RC64II , so why not spend the extra cash now for the RF7II's and have a matching set. And down the road when you upgrade your system you wont need to buy bigger speakers cause you'll have them already. The RF 7II's are amazing , i watch mainly movies and abit of stereo. I live in Canada and the RF 7II's were more then 3000 $ for me . You wont regret your purchase.

Yeah if you can return the rc-64ii and get the rf-83s and then get a rc-64 down the road that is a good option. I would say the 7s best the 83s by a fraction so you will not be losing all that much in sound quality and you will be saving alot of cash. I would be tempted to match the rc-64ii with the 83s but in the end it is not perfect timbre which may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

• Moderators

I would say the 7s best the 83s by a fraction

When I had both the RF-7's and RF-83's, they sounded different but to my ears, there was no winner...just different type of sound.

My RF-7 vs RF-83 Comparison thread

I cannot speak for the RF-7ii since I have not demoed them.

I'm cheap and I don't have critical ears so knowing me, I probably wouldn't hesitate to get the RF-83's. I would ask myself....will I be able to hear $900 worth of difference between the RF-83 and the RF-7ii.

Best thing is if you can go somewhere and actually do an A/B comparison. That's really the only way to know for sure.

Remember, acoustics play a big role in how a speaker sounds so even if I demo two speakers in my room, someone else could demo the same speakers in their room and get an entirely different opinion of how they compare. Plus we all have different electronics hooked up to the speakers and finally, our ears all hear differently.

Again....if at all possible, go hear for yourself...even if you have to make a few hour trip to do so. If you spend $50 in gas but find out the RF-83's will do, then you still saved yourself $850.

Keep in mind that my .02 in this economy is worth about 1/10th that. [:D]

Thanks for all the opinions. The difference in sound between the 83's and the 7ii's is very helpful since I don't have the chance to listen to the 83's in person. If u didn't see my other thread about the "timbre" matching then I'll tell you in this thread. I emailed technical support asking them about "timbre" matching the 64ii and this was their response.

"Hello Jason,   The RC-64 II is timbre matched to the RF-83 as well as the RF-7 II. I would not expect any issues when pairing them up."

So I guess that clears the path for me to try the 83's and save some cash for my separates!

Thanks for all the opinions. The difference in sound between the 83's and the 7ii's is very helpful since I don't have the chance to listen to the 83's in person. If u didn't see my other thread about the "timbre" matching then I'll tell you in this thread. I emailed technical support asking them about "timbre" matching the 64ii and this was their response.

"Hello Jason, The RC-64 II is timbre matched to the RF-83 as well as the RF-7 II. I would not expect any issues when pairing them up."

So I guess that clears the path for me to try the 83's and save some cash for my separates!

That's suprising.

• Moderators

The difference in sound between the 83's and the 7ii's is very helpful

Just for clarification...I compared the RF-83 and the original RF-7's, not the new RF-7ii's.

Hello Jason, The RC-64 II is timbre matched to the RF-83 as well as the RF-7 II.

That's good to know. Works for me.

Lol yes quite a pickle. Well I'm not going backwards to an rc64. I will just listen to the 7's when I pick up the 64ii. I think I'm gonna get the 83's unless the 7's blow me away. Can't imagine they will be worth the extra $900 but we'll give them a listen.

You could always wait for a better price on the 7ii or try and get a set of b stock, or even wait and get used. I’m sure they would sound ok together (83 and 64ii) but the horns are different. It’s the horn from the old rf-64. At this point get what you want the front speakers are your main speakers if there’s ever a reason to spend more to get what you want it would be on the mains. They call them mains for a reason.[:D]

• Moderators

I think that it is important to consider that Klipsch brought back the RF-7s for a reason, instead of making an RF-83ii.

Devil's advocate.....Klipsch probably made that decision because it was more cost effective to make the 7's vs the 83's. [:P]