I think I've gone completely mad...

Wow. Invalidbuffalo, I had no idea that that had happened. I knew there was more vibration than what I heard on my first set of LaScalas, but I never suspected that the guy the guy who did the mods wouldn't have the sense to actually secure the woofers. I am glad you were more inquisitive than I was during my 5 months of ownership. Here's to you. Cheers.

After I got them home it became clear that the person that performed the upgrades on the speakers had no idea what he was doing... All of the hardware was replaced with cheesy brass screws, most of which were of incorrect size and didn't grip the holes. I'm surprised the tweeters didn't fall out during the trip home. The Fastrac horns didn't have L brackets supporting them either.

And then I opened the woofer chamber. Both speakers had their woofers loosely held in by two brass wood screws instead of the 10x24 machine screws. One woofer was loose in the doghouse, the other wasn't flat against the slot board. The installer made new screw holes next to the existing hardware, and only started to grind one side of the woofer baskets.

The lesson to be learned here is that it makes sense to check such things on any vintage speaker, especially ones that have been modified.

Even Klipsch employees have been known to make mistakes. I've seen drivers wired out of phase, steel screws attaching inductors, etc. It's no secret that PWK engineered and manufactured to meet a market price.

Hobbyists are not so constrained. For example, while it makes economic and marketing sense to use only 4 T-nuts and machine screws to attach a La Scala woofer, the hobbyist is well advised to go for redundancy. The woofer has 8 mounting holes. The same can be said regarding back mounted versus flush mounted horns. To PWK, flush mounting, "doesn't make a dime's worth of difference," but it cost much more than a dime, so it didn't happen.

It's surprising that someone would have the interest in the upgrades, but lack the fundamental knowledge to install them properly. Admit it, you would have taken them apart regardless. Now you can enjoy them with the knowledge that you made a good thing better.

you do realize that when you sit down, the top two speakers will be 180 degree out of phase and when you stand up the bottom two speakers will be 180 degree out of phase. you will have to spin around 180 degrees as you stand to compensate other wise you will have a phase shift. If you do the spin to quickly, you will really screw things up because them you would have created a time alignment anomaly. If that happens, you will have to repeat the maneuver in the other direction. It will take some practice to get it right and what ever you do, do not look into a mirror while you do this....you might wind up in a dimensional swap and find yourself in alice and wonderland.

methinks SF and Thebes have been sharing a ******... [*-)]

you do realize that when you sit down, the top two speakers will be 180 degree out of phase and when you stand up the bottom two speakers will be 180 degree out of phase. you will have to spin around 180 degrees as you stand to compensate other wise you will have a phase shift. If you do the spin to quickly, you will really screw things up because them you would have created a time alignment anomaly. If that happens, you will have to repeat the maneuver in the other direction. It will take some practice to get it right and what ever you do, do not look into a mirror while you do this....you might wind up in a dimensional swap and find yourself in alice and wonderland.

methinks SF and Thebes have been sharing a ******... Confused

Pipe down, will ya! [:|]