Very, Very Versatile Crossovers

Stacking inductors like that can cause interference.

As I was designing these networks, I consulted with two engineers and did a series of tests on stacked inductors. Bottom line is that the distortion created by stacking two inductors, both being used for the same woofer, were proven to be insignificant and inaudible.

It would be different if one inductor was being used for the woofer and another for the midrange. But in this setup, it's a non-issue. Unless you're trying to discredit Volti Audio, and then it becomes a fan for the flame.

Why are you hijacking the thread with this? The OP didn't ask for this. Do you do this to everyone here who is happy and excited about a new product they just got and want to share with the group? Or do you just do it to Volti Audio customers?

Greg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg You brought up Al's products....heres the subject transformer...which is the correct way of doing what you are attempting to do...you did raise the question as to the existence of the technical short comings in comparative products that you brought up. You should be careful about doing that if you have issues with specific's.

I own several of these tweeter attenuators. They are very nice units. They are not included in the ALK Universal networks.

I have no idea what you're talking about - "you did raise the question to the existence of the technical short comings in comparative products that you brought up" Have you been drinking?

You're being argumentative and confrontational and I have news for you, most people here can see it for what it is. So while you're looking foolish, trying to discredit me, I'm appreciating the attention given to my business. It gives me the opportunity to say that it's hard to argue with success, and these networks have been very successful so far.

Greg

Well, I can't stand the abusiveness that I have seen Greg, others and myself subject to on this forum. I have watched what some 'regulars' have done to Greg. In fact I have done extensive research of this forum for just that purpose since I started communicating with Greg last Fall. I will not name names, but I was harrassed by some regulars last December when I was expressing happiness and surprise when I was able to purchase a fully modded LaScala for relatively little. I let these forum members push me and they did nothing to cease and desist. I finally went to Amy Unger with a vengenance and she deleted the extensive post in question, and also posted an unmissable note on the main page that warned members about this kind of behavior.

And no, I will not give Speakerfritz an easy out like that. This post stands. If I find anymore of this kind of behavior I will back with a vengenance talking to Amy once again. And this time some people will be asked to leave.

This forum has members who are 'envious dogs'. Oh dear god that someone should aspire to better than a damn $750-1200 pair of LaScalas.

Speakerfritz, I ask you once again sir.....Have you heard the Vittoras? Obviously not. It makes LaScalas look and most certainly sound, like a pile of garbage. The Vittoras are not an entry level loudspeaker. They are not even a mid fi loudspeaker. They are highend. I watched my pennies for years until I was able to take a chance on what I thought would satisfy my 'ears'. And the Vittoras most certainly have. And they look F***ing hot doing it. Knock off the abusive rants, please.

Well, I can't stand the abusiveness that I have seen Greg, others and myself subject to on this forum. I have watched what some 'regulars' have done to Greg. ....

Have you heard the Vittoras?

Greg has voiced the Vittoras to satisfy his ears. He has also expressed his preference for the sound of systems using simple crossovers. The crossover used in the Vittoras permits the user to alter the voicing to personal taste. Moving taps may affect the impedance seen by each driver or by the amplifier. Moving taps may also affect the crossover frequencies. The bottom line is how does the system sounds to each owner. To that extent, Greg offers a money back guarantee.

Networks for the Klipschorn have changed over 60 years generally increasing the number of components and increasing the order of the crossovers. Yet some listeners, when replacing aging components prefer to keep the earlier, simpler designs.

Greg built the 212 Hz mid-range horns that I use with Jamboree bass bins. Using an active crossover, I have tried different combinations of crossover frequency and filter order. I have my preference. I also have ALK universal crossovers and ALK 1 inch trachorns on my K-hron clones and think they provide excellent sound for the money.

Greg

I love your crossover.....as I indicated earlier...the brass screws are very nice....and an original idea.

And Nat, with all due respect, what does Greg's taste that he designs around have to do with abusive comments made to him? The logic in these statements sums up to 'If the person expresses himself, then we will belittle him'. I think I do understand 'Fritz's motivation, but I don't know why he can't see that we are here to learn and have that experience be enjoyable. I enjoy coming to this forum on occasion, but I can't understand why someone would see what he has written and then turn away as if it never happened. Whatever.

SF, is that swamping resistor I see? Maybe gleaned from ALK's constant impedance design?

Yes, I got the idea for using a swamping resistor on the autotransformer from ALK. Of course you do know that ALK got the idea from someone else, don't you?

I would hope ALK got the idea from somewhere else unless he was there when the first electronic filters were created. How old is ALK anyway? [;)]

The point SF makes is any change in components will modify the behavior of the network. Changing from a K-77 to a Selenium 220 to moving resistors and taps on an autoformer. Unless you are working with a constant impendance the change may not be as expected nor will the possible impact on amplification and tracking. I guess as long as you think the change sounds good and nothing blows up, you're good. Very nice woodworking though...

To those people who are reading this thread and may now be confused about these very, very versatile networks and how one chooses different midrange attenuations. There is no more problem with choosing various midrange outputs with an autotransformer and swamping resistor than there ever was with any ALK Universal network ever made. Sure, there are compromises with this approach, as there are with every design out there, including active systems, but it works, and it works well, especially for the intended application.

There are compromises with all things audio, it's just the nature of the business. Whether passive crossovers are designed to be technically correct or artistically pleasing, or as is most often done, a little of both, the result is the same. They are put out to market and they work with the rest of the speaker design to provide a characteristic sound for the speaker they are designed for. Some will really like it, others may not.

Audio is a subjective artform, regardless of how technically correct something may or may not be, and that will never change. I use a combination of technical evaluation and art to design my speakers. For some of the techies here on the forum, I may lean a little too much towards the artistic side. When you get a combination of "techie" and "bully" here on this forum, you get the kind of offensive behavior that I've had to endure from a few. Unfortunately, enduring criticism is a part of being in the audio business. It's another one of those "compromises with all things audio".

Greg

Pedaling your wares of ripped off designs consisting of PWK's cabinets, ALK inspired crossovers, and Martinelli knock off horns and then having your minions post glowing reviews on the klipsch site... Have no no shame? It is time to get by on your own. You will sleep better at night.

Pedaling your wares of ripped off designs consisting of PWK's cabinets, ALK inspired crossovers, and Martinelli knock off horns and then having your minions post glowing reviews on the klipsch site... Have no no shame? It is time to get by on your own. You will sleep better at night.

Speakmeister, I just cleaned my computer monitor with the morning cup of coffee. You have such style and grace in your writing.....and you managed to express your thoughts and opinions with out calling anyone a drunk. Well done

Greg,

It's been said you can judge a man by his friends and his enemies. You do well on both counts.

I don't consider speakerfritz, Mark1101, or Speakmeister enemies. I don't even know them. I actually feel bad for them. I wonder what motivates these guys to spend their time to come into a thread and speak so derisively and in such a nasty way. They must live in a very dark place.

I feel bad for the OP. He just wanted to come here and share his excitement with someone.

Greg

• Moderators

I wonder what motivates these guys to spend their time to come into a thread and speak so derisively and in such a nasty way.

Aggravation Irritation

I have tried to stay out of it but since you asked.

SF, is that swamping resistor I see? Maybe gleaned from ALK's constant impedance design?

Yes, I got the idea for using a swamping resistor on the autotransformer from ALK. Of course you do know that ALK got the idea from someone else, don't you?

g

Yes, I would assume he did. I referenced Al's design, because many of us are familiar with his networks. I was trying to point out that the crossover appeared to be a (relatively) constant impedance design, so that moving the taps would not move the crossover point (much). I think Al has addressed the slight variation in impedance (and shifting crossover point) by stating that the movement is negligible because of the shallow slopes involved. All to say that constant impedance/ variable tap design works reasonably well for its intended application.

Greg,

It's been said you can judge a man by his friends and his enemies. You do well on both counts.

I don't consider speakerfritz, Mark1101, or Speakmeister enemies. I don't even know them. I actually feel bad for them. I wonder what motivates these guys to spend their time to come into a thread and speak so derisively and in such a nasty way. They must live in a very dark place.

I feel bad for the OP. He just wanted to come here and share his excitement with someone.

Greg

Greg, I agree with you 100%. When a forum members comes here to post he just got new speakers everyone seems to congradulate them. I am not sure why that didnt happen here like it should have.