Very, Very Versatile Crossovers

I simply wanted the very best iteration, and I feel I have attained that

Power to you & your journey!

I will make a mention though... after having heard it for myself there is definately something to be said for 2-way over 3-way. To that end, I'd bet lunch that you could get a SLIGHT bit more coherent sound if you had this as a 2-way.

This comment isn't really directed to you per se' as much as an elbow into the ribs of Greg to consider offering them this way. Seems PWK wanted to take the Khorn back to a 2-way design (ala Jubilee) and it seems that Roy also wanted to take the LaScala to a 2-way speaker, ala JubeScala with the K510.

The K510 would easily fit in the tophat that you have and would drop a crossover point so all vocals/other would be coming from a single source.

After having done some side by side I'm here to tell you that you can tell a difference.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coytee: I am wondering if you have ever had the chance to compare the KLF20 or 30 to a CF-3 or 4? That would be a pretty close and good comparrison between a good three way and a good two way of similar vintage? If the crossover point can be kept to around 800 Hz or lower a two way ought to sound better as long as the top end response and dispersion of the horn are well controlled. Your comments would be of great interest. Thanks and best regards Moray James.

I will not speak for Coytee, but having heard it, they sound pretty good with the 904 bass. The 415 bass unit is really really great sounding. I only heard it with the K-69 driver, so no opinion on the B&C.

I like them with the 510 but as Mike Lindsey told me when I bought them they can be pretty in your face at times. I have gotten used to it but just wondering if the 402 might calm them down a little.

As I recall, they 904 was more mid bass sounding , the 415 had a lot of low end grunt. as far as the 402 vs. 510. The 402 is better but the overall sound characteristics are very similar. It may not be worth the money. Plus, I think the 402 hangs off the side of the 904 quite a bit. If you are not adverse to active EQ, that could be a solution. If you are, maybe you could use active to just see where the offending frequencies are. My guess would be that the KPT-904 system you have is using the stock crossover which would emphasize the offending frequencies to shoot through a screen.

Coytee: I am wondering if you have ever had the chance to compare the KLF20 or 30 to a CF-3 or 4? That would be a pretty close and good comparrison between a good three way and a good two way of similar vintage? If the crossover point can be kept to around 800 Hz or lower a two way ought to sound better as long as the top end response and dispersion of the horn are well controlled

I have never knowingly heard a KLF** nor CF**

The only comparison I have was the 3 way Khorns and later on, 2 way Jubilee's in my home, same corners, same electronics. Jubilee's "come together" within maybe 10' of distance and the Khorns took about 30 to reach that same level of "one voice".

Same thing with my LaScalas. Had one of them outside once and noticed about (guessing) 25' away that it sounded distinctly better, more as a single voice. This revelation was several years prior to my purchase of the Jubilee's so at the time, I was clueless about the benefits of 2-way.

In both cases, the crossover point is well under 800Hz (380Hz on the K402 on the Jubilee and 470Hz to the K402 on the JubeScala (470 Hz when the K510 is used))

I like them with the 510 but as Mike Lindsey told me when I bought them they can be pretty in your face at times. I have gotten used to it but just wondering if the 402 might calm them down a little.

I see you're in the Dallas area? I don't know how big the 904 is...if it's like most of these things, it ain't small!

You're close enough that if you were so inclined, I bet you could 'toss' that onto a trailer (truck?) and head over to see Chris in Arlington. He's got a K402 and some actives as well.

There I go again... offering up someone's home

[:$]

(I'll bet he'd do it)

Audio is a subjective artform

Yeah, if you want to see some real art....you gotta see the glue-job I did inside my KLF-30's to keep them from falling apart.

P'nuzzi stated that I would have been accepted if I had 'just thrown something together'. That is not what I wanted, I have been doing that for a couple of decades. I simply wanted the very best iteration, and I feel I have attained that.

crd97086,

If that was in response to my message when I pointed out that you have to expect the response you get, you obviously have different reasons for being on this board. I guess that's why all the noise which is seeming justly deserved.

I see you're in the Dallas area? I don't know how big the 904 is...if it's like most of these things, it ain't small!

You're close enough that if you were so inclined, I bet you could 'toss' that onto a trailer (truck?) and head over to see Chris in Arlington. He's got a K402 and some actives as well.

There I go again... offering up someone's home

Embarrassed

(I'll bet he'd do it)

What are the dimensions of the 402 ?

As I recall, they 904 was more mid bass sounding , the 415 had a lot of low end grunt. as far as the 402 vs. 510. The 402 is better but the overall sound characteristics are very similar. It may not be worth the money. Plus, I think the 402 hangs off the side of the 904 quite a bit. If you are not adverse to active EQ, that could be a solution. If you are, maybe you could use active to just see where the offending frequencies are. My guess would be that the KPT-904 system you have is using the stock crossover which would emphasize the offending frequencies to shoot through a screen.

Speakmaster, you are dead on with your assessment ! As far as I know the crossovers are stock. I have never ran any external xovers or EQ,s. I have only amps, preamp, cd and tt.

I was a link in a caravan that shuffled some 904 bottoms to JC in Ga. I got to hear them with some lot-535 tops and once you deal with the screen issues for the top section, the system rocks effortlessly. The tops are behind screen designs so they are extra bright.

I was a link in a caravan that shuffled some 904 bottoms to JC in Ga. I got to hear them with some lot-535 tops and once you deal with the screen issues for the top section, the system rocks effortlessly. The tops are behind screen designs so they are extra bright.

SF, i did try the foam that you suggested but I think it was to thick. Maybe I should build a grill.

Speakmaster, you are dead on with your assessment ! As far as I know the crossovers are stock. I have never ran any external xovers or EQ,s. I have only amps, preamp, cd and tt.

Don, you don't want to open up that can of worms....ha, ha. BTW, the 402s are very large. Not that you have WAF issues, but they are big!

After looking at the kpt-415 I can see why it has more low end grunt as it has 4 - 15" woofers.

Don, you don't want to open up that can of worms....ha, ha. BTW, the 402s are very large. Not that you have WAF issues, but they are big!

Rudy, If you dont open the can of worms you will never see whats at the bottom. Size of the horn does not bother me and no there wont be any WAF issues at all !

Size of the horn does not bother me and no there wont be any WAF issues at all !

This boy needs a permanent female in the house so he can live like the majority of us. Then he can deal with WAF!