Missouri resident sickened and saddened by last night's devastation.

chuckears

http://cmsimg.news-leader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=DO&Date=20110522&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=105220802&Ref=PH&Item=12&Maxw=640&Maxh=410&q=60

Thankfully, my city of Springfield was not in the direct path of the storms, but my mother worked at (and thankfully retired from) the hospital that was blasted by the tornado that went through - and seemingly wiped out a third of - Joplin last night.

My thoughts and hopes go out to all of those affected, and here's hoping for a more calm remainder of the storm season (which seems to be for a larger portion of the calendar year, as global temperatures continue to rise).

Apparently the tornado was moving very fast and there was not much warning.

They said last night on The Weather Channel that the tornado sirens went off twenty minutes before the tornado hit. So many storms hit this area so often that it's easy to become complacent, to lose that sense of urgency. I do it myself.

My sympathy goes out to the people who lost so much.

My sister lives about 1/2 hour south and west of there (Joplin).

She is ok; but between the flooding (that missed her; but not by much) and now this.... I think she wants to come back to Chicago.

My thoughts and prayers to those affected as well......

• Moderators

This must be the worst time of the year for tornado's with cold fronts from the northwest and warm humid air from the gulf ? Or does it just appear like it with all the tornado's over the last few weeks ?

Having grown up in the St Louis area, and now just having moved back, this seems very typical to me for this time of the year. We've gotten much better at predicting and detecting storms than we were when I was young, but the storms themselves seem pretty much the same as they have always been.

This is definitely "tornado season" in the midwest, and for the exact reasons you mention.

My niece was caught in Joplin yesterday. She was in a frozen yogurt shop on Rangeline with her son and his friend, and with her German foreign exchange student. They all took shelter in the bathroom, along with whoever else was there. When it was over and they crawled out of the wreckage, the corner with the bathroom they were in was the only corner of the store left standing. The death toll is at 92 and rising. This will probably be the most deadly single tornado in the US in nearly fifty years.

"Had" is the key word. Her car was destoyed. Her and the boys hitched a ride south on Rangeline to the Office Depot store which is on the corner of 32nd and Rangeline, I believe. The good folks there took them in and offered snacks and shelter and even some dry clothes. From there she was able to get a cell phone message out to her husband who was eventually able to get to them and take them home.

After surviving one of the most deadly tornados in US history, Franz, her FSE student is probably going to be happy to get back home to Germany come July.

• Moderators

I've lived in the midwest for 40 years and thankfully have never seen a tornado. I can't stress that enough to Steven -- he is absolutely terrified of the threat of them. Even gets sick to his stomach when clouds roll in. I don't think I will let him glimpse the news today.... such unimaginable devastation and tragic loss of life. And I can't help but think about all those little kids and the nightmares they will undoubtedly have for years to come.

My heart goes out to everyone affected.

One of my buds lost everything, but he was in Florida with his family on vacation.

His house is now just a slab on grade.It sounds like the place he works at is almost destroyed as well, so he may be without work for a while. These folks are going to need a lot of help.

My mother in-laws house... She was pulled with only cuts and bruises out of the bathroom that was on the right side (where there aren't any walls anymore). Amazing she wasn't hurt more. I had to walk for blocks to get to her as the homes and trees were leveled. I lost track of where I was because of the damage and the street signs were gone. I could identify her street by the shape of the parking lot. My home and family is OK but we keep finding about more people that we know who were hurt or killed. I think that number is going to get bigger. People are still in shock but pulling together.

post-38437-13819656477162_thumb.jpg

I was born in Neveda, Mo. I've loads of extended family in the El Dorado Springs area. It has been a wicked tornado season and it has really just begun. Tonight is gonna be ugly. I now live in Idaho. My heart bleeds for anyone dealing with these events.