Well it's summer again

dtel

whew, i know it! it went from spring to HOT with no in between. AND we were having such a nice spring...except for the floods....and tornadoes...umm, never mind.

luxury! Try this blinding sunshine that we have out here in southern california. I couldn't find my sunglasses and nearly couldn't go to work.

Still no rain; other than a couple of brief 30 second showers which are about as useful as nips on a bullfrog, we are in a serious drought. Only in the low 90's, with a couple of exceptions, and back down into the mid-high 60's at night. And this is supposed to be south Florida. My grass (that special Bahia & pasture weed mix, LOL!!!....) looks like a post apocalyptic movie scene. All my new "hurricane windbreak trees" are in survival mode (gotta' "bucket water" them every 3-4 days). It's gonna' take them several years to even begin to be large enough to block any wind. They are all about 6-8' tall, but not much bigger around than 2".

I should not complain though as it will probably turn into the monsoon season pretty soon and I'll have to take a boat from the front porch to the truck......

[H]

PS: for dtel; the trees are Bischofia's and Java Plums. They love water.... The plums are sometimes considered a "pest" because once they get about 15' tall they start producing massive quantities of purple fruit. Edible and good when ripe, but they will apparently produce enough to make me go into business as the Bubba Gump Plum Company....

• Moderators

Whereabout in Florida do you live, Marshal?

10 miles west of Okeechobee.

And about 350 miles from Cuba. [:o] And surrounded by probably more alligators than south Louisiana, and that's alot.

• Moderators

I never heard of either tree, I like the Java Plums, they look nice and make plenty of fruit, there in the Crape Myrtle family. The Bischofia is also nice but both would probably freeze here, I was hoping the Java Plum would work here but no.

You said they are only 6-8 feet tall, that's good. I have this contraption on the tractor to dig trees. We dug some Oak trees from my neighbors wooded area behind his house to plant in the back yard. Some of these trees were 30' tall and kind of thin from being so close to other trees, but healthy, this was about 7-8 years ago.

We also planted some 6-8 foot trees that we dug. The rootballs were the correct size for each tree, but what seems to happen is the larger tree takes much longer to root back to the point where it actually grows. The 30' trees are starting to spread and fill out and the trees that were 6-8' are about 20-25 feet tall and have a nice shape.

I guess the smaller trees get rooted much faster, which speeds up everything overall. It really does not seem to help to get trees over 6-8 feet.

Also If you get a good deal on small container trees like 2-3 feet try some, you will be surprised what happens, i will bet in 5 years it will catch up with the 6-8' tree.

How do cypress do down there ? They are really easy to grow from seeds, break open a seed pod, store in paper bag over a winter to dry, plant a bunch of seeds in something like a tray and separate after there about 3" tall. put into a container and they will be 2-3 feet tall over one summer. Plant and they will be at least 6-8 feet in a couple of years easily. Also they tend to grow much taller faster if on land and not in the water.

• Moderators

If the South is going to have the climate of mars we should dress appropriately.

Sometimes it feels like it already, I could use a suit like that, does it come with a top pocket to hold something to plug headphones into ?

Although looking at it I would want some kind of tint on the helmet part to help keep it cool, you know how the sun is down here. [:@]