Power conditioners

JasonJCarney

$500-$700 range. What do I get for the money? Surge protection of course. "clean" power too right but what does this clean power do for my projector and avr? Better picture? Better sound? I see almost everyone has them. Just would like some real world info before dropping a decent chunk of change on one. Thx in advance

$500-$700 range. What do I get for the money? Surge protection of course. "clean" power too right but what does this clean power do for my projector and avr? Better picture? Better sound? I see almost everyone has them. Just would like some real world info before dropping a decent chunk of change on one. Thx in advance

Jason,

I don't think these things are the "magic" bullet but I do feel when I added my Monster unit(60% off msrp) the picture quality in my DLP improved some. It is nice having some protection against surges also. When unstable voltage is detected, my conditioner shuts all equipment down and engages a "brickwall" to my gear.

You really don't have to spend that kind of $$$ to get good power conditioning/surge protection.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/APCH15BLK/APC/H15-AV-1.5kVA-H-Type-Power-Conditioner-120V/1.html

Bill

Oh boy! This should "heat up" after a while. Power conditioners are like speaker wire and interconnects. Armed "camps" of the various believers will surface and "audio-knights" will ride forth to do battle!!!

In any event, regardless of the surge vs UPS vs "whole house" wars, I "religiously" use a good quality conditioner/UPS's, but not so much for the imputed improvements in the "audio-visual" experience, but for the sheer safety of the unit acting as the electrical firewall. Good ones can be had for ~$500. I like the UPS function as it gives me plenty of time to shut down when the main power goes awry (which is a very common problem in south Florida).....

Suggestion only, look at: http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMT1500&total_watts=50

[H]

Without getting into all the ho ha a
simple $100 surge protector will work pretty well. If you look at my gear you
will know I’m not a penny pincher. But I’m not one to toss money out the
window. I did a lot of research and this is the side I’m standing on.

irony is, i read this thread and went on craigslist and searched klipsch to see what was there and that surge protector by APC popped up. It was in a thread with some other klipsch gear. Im going to pick it up right now for 50 bux! I need a second one anyways, ill retire my current apc to my room tv setup and use the apc im getting today for the main system, more outlets is good!

FWIW, I own an APC C10 that I got for about $40 (regularly >$200) when they were clearing them out at Tigerdirect. As near as I can tell, its about a $10 surge protector in a fancy case with pretty lights. I noticed no improvement in picture or sound. However, its nice to look at I guess. For $40, I'm satisfied; I would not pay anything near retail though.

there are different levels of power conditioning and not all devices has all levels. Surge protection, RMI filtering, isolation, voltage regulation, balanced power, brown out protection, full blown uninterrupted service. The levels you need have more to do with the quality of your power, and your environmental power infections.

JUst to add, my reasoning for buying what i have thus far power center wise was to protect my electronics from being fried. Yes, you can buy a low jouled surge surpressor or even some of the higher ones. We had a debateabout this when i first bought my G5. The clamping voltage is important. The G5 has a clamping voltage of 40v and up. Cheaper ones often have like 100v over, just not as quick clamping leaving room for damage. My old sony "Big bertha" was fried in a lightning storm, i had no power protection.

I also took into consideration i wanted a center style protector, not just a strip. Center style protectors are more expensive than strips.

There can be much debate on things, as far as quality increase, that is extremely debatable, most of us i want to say have good power connections, those without would want to chime in to share their story. More so you are paying for the surge supressor protection, turn on delays to keep everything from starting up at one time causing an overload or "pops", good clamping voltage, noise isolation, power bank isolation, just things that help to weed out shit in your power to keep things safer and more refined for your electronics.

To each their own, if you have alot of money and want to spend it on a good power center, please do so, it can't hurt. Will you see such an improvement? Who knows truthfully unless you were to bench test diff power centers in your setup. Monster cable crap is knowingly over priced, id buy a furman or panamax or apc or monster, apc is a better value than monster is any day of the week and is a good contender to panamax with furman being my top.

Now i did go through and buy that APC H15 today. It has 10 outlets total and has filtering for cable connections. Who knows if this will yield any better reults

Thx guys. I'll check out those links

Also post each manufacturer number that says how much cleaner that electricity is. Good luck. Most power conditioners make no such claims. The power strip protector does have a very expensive (cool looking) box. Also post total harmonic distortion for each UPS when in battery backup mode. Or did they also forget to mention how much 'dirtier' power is when from its battery?

Don't forget to also buy Monster's speaker wires. Monster wires are marked for the amp end and speaker end. If you connect its speaker end to the amp, then audio sound is seriously perverted - as Monster says. Many even reported they could hear the difference when those wires were reversed. Don't worry about their specification numbers. Monster never provides numeric specs. Advertising and those educated by subjective claims proves that everything from Monster is superior. Even its price says so.

Q: $500-$700 range. What do I get for the money?

A: Looks.

It would be interesting to see statistics of how many power conditioners 'sacrificed' themselves and saved plugged in equipment from lightning jolt. For the rest of 'power issues' Your amplifiers/sources etc are well portected internally.

It would be interesting to see statistics of how many power conditioners 'sacrificed' themselves and saved plugged in equipment from lightning jolt.

Never forget how electricity works. If a surge 'sacrificed' the protector, then a destructive current is incoming on one wire. And the exact same current is outgoing on another wire into the appliance. Simultaneously. Where is the protection?

Getting someone to forget how electricity works is how 'sacrifice' myths get created. First same current is everywhere in a path from a cloud to earth. Long after that current is flowing, then something (or things) in that path fail. What happens during the sacrifice? Plasma forms. That current continues flowing even through 'sacrificed' parts; until current finishes. More time for a surge to continue threatening an appliance.

Sacrificing only stops surges when people forget how electricity works - as even taught in elementary school science. Any current incoming to the protector is also outgoing to the appliance. A surge too small to overwhelm protection inside appliances easily destroys (sacrifices) a grossly undersized protector. The naive recommend that ineffective (grossly undersized) protector.

An amp or computer easily protects itself from a tiny surge that also 'sacrifices' that protector. So the most naive would recommend that grossly undersized protector? A perfect example of why observation creates junk science conclusions.

Any protector that sacrifices itself did zero protection. Effective protectors earth even direct lighting strikes and remain functional. But that means the properly sized protector also connects as short as possible (ie ‘less than 10 feet’) to earth. Effective protection means nobody knows the surge existed. A failed protector means ineffective protector that promoted urban myths - that sacrifice.

id have to say i like the looks of belkin pureav pf31 and pf60, they dont stick out like a sore thumb like monster, considering one myself mainly to clean up wiring

I have the PF-60 and completely love it! The PF-60 looks great,and has a very high quality build. It has more feature than most others, really nice trigger controls, great filtering, higher joule rating and 6 isolated individually protected banks. I looked at a lot of power conditioners and I have also owned a couple and the Pure AV PF-60 is my favorite, even compared to those much more expensive. My system has worked its best connected with the PF-60.

204942992.jpg

41OuqEParcL.jpg

The actual PF-60 looks even nicer than in the photos, very heavy and high quality build, it is also much larger than it appears in the photos nearly as deep as it is wide.

Here is a link to a great review with some specs and pics.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1164306802&read&3&4&

Also UPS systems are great for computers and some equipment that needs power to properly shut/cool down however the battery power from a UPS is dirty and a different form of current that is not well suited to audio equipment for the best sound quality. I would recommend staying away from UPS systems for audio gear, a quality power conditioner will give you the best sound quality.

well i just opted for a belkin pf30 from buy.com they are only $60 right now so it made a easy fathers day gift, looks like ill be getting the pf60 in dec. and moving the pf30 to our upstairs at that time, now i just have to wait probably 10 days for some good old free budget shipping :)

do all lights completely turn off / dim on the front of those pure AVs?

They dim but do not turn OFF, I don't have mine on the same wall as my display so it causes no distraction but if you have to place it near your picture screen the PF-60 definitely does have a pretty large blue LCD display.

Since it is not any distraction from my screen I love the blue LCD display, it offers nice info about the power being used by either all or any single power outlet bank and it is a very nice blue which matches perfectly with the blue lights on my Emotiva amps.

elitedemo that is an unbelievable deal on the PF-30