What the heck, doing ribs a different way

fini

Only thing I put on 'em was bbq sauce (Bull's Eye), wrapped in foil, in the oven @250. After 3-4 hours, they'll be unwrapped and finished on the Weber. Planning more sauce in the last 15 minutes. Will report findings.

Next time I'm in LR I'm gonna make you take me there! Dee's gonna hook me up with ribs in Memphis one of these days...

No problem I'll buy a couple racks. Memphis has my second and third fave rib joints. I love ribs that you don't have to slather in sauce to taste good.

• Moderators

I haven't met a rib I didn't like, I'm sure they will be good. Seti from what I've been reading they say don't soak the wood chips and try to use chunks so they don't burn up as fast, I had always soaked them before so I can't say for sure.

I would love to try Sims BBQ

Fini, my brother does them that way (wet in the oven, finished on the grill) because he makes a lot for pool parties. They come out very good most of the time, but they of course don't get the smoke flavor throughout like a slow smoking process will do.

I haven't met a rib I didn't like, I'm sure they will be good. Seti from what I've been reading they say don't soak the wood chips and try to use chunks so they don't burn up as fast, I had always soaked them before so I can't say for sure.

I would love to try Sims BBQ

Well yes and no. If you are using an aluminum smoke pouch don't bother soaking. If putting directly on coals soak the chips. Big chunks are better at smoking without soaking but I usually end up with the small chips. If small chips go directly on hot coals the go up in flames.

BTW, it's smelling pretty good 2-1/2 hours in...

This Texan wants a report when you are finished....

It was about 3-1/2 hours when I pulled 'em from the oven. They were 80% "fall off the bone" and looked pretty pale (of course...they'd been steamed!). I transferred them into a vertical rack on a hot grill (coals to the sides in Weber charcoal baskets with a pan of water in-between). This got them nice looking after 1/2 hour. More BBQ sauce for the last 15 minutes, then to the table.

They were definitely moist, with a decent crust. Most of the fat drained off in the oven, which took a lot of the flavor, unfortunately. I saved all the drippings (about 3 cups, 1/2 cup fat) and could have made some type of sauce with that. Perhaps I'll do that for the leftovers if I come up with a recipe.

Next time I'll definitely preseason (maybe brine/marinate), and leave it in the oven for a shorter time, and on the grill for a longer time. I hear folks go the other way as well (start on the grill, then finish wrapped in the oven). I'm pretty much with dtel re: haven't met a rib I didn't like, and the leftovers would make awesome pulled pork. It's 5:30 am here, and I'm thinking of having a couple...

post-3580-1381965942219_thumb.jpg

BTW, it's smelling pretty good 2-1/2 hours in...

This Texan wants a report when you are finished....

It was about 3-1/2 hours when I pulled 'em from the oven. They were 80% "fall off the bone" and looked pretty pale (of course...they'd been steamed!). I transferred them into a vertical rack on a hot grill (coals to the sides in Weber charcoal baskets with a pan of water in-between). This got them nice looking after 1/2 hour. More BBQ sauce for the last 15 minutes, then to the table.

They were definitely moist, with a decent crust. Most of the fat drained off in the oven, which took a lot of the flavor, unfortunately. I saved all the drippings (about 3 cups, 1/2 cup fat) and could have made some type of sauce with that. Perhaps I'll do that for the leftovers if I come up with a recipe.

Next time I'll definitely preseason (maybe brine/marinate), and leave it in the oven for a shorter time, and on the grill for a longer time. I hear folks go the other way as well (start on the grill, then finish wrapped in the oven). I'm pretty much with dtel re: haven't met a rib I didn't like, and the leftovers would make awesome pulled pork. It's 5:30 am here, and I'm thinking of having a couple...

Looks pretty tasty to me this early morning. Thanks for posting the photo. The quest for the perfect way to complete the task is a never ending one.

Mmm, 4 ribs down for, uh, pre-breakfast. Good stuff! There's still fat in there, a good amount, and the taste is there, it's just subtle, the taste of good unadorned meat. Great with the sauce.

I'm sure they were tasty..........look pretty good. I see you tried to do them backwards going oven first and then grill. We need the pioneeers out there if we are ever to find better ways! I see you are using a Weber...........smart man.

last time i did ribs, i used a 2009 toyota tundra doing about 20 mph and my ribs went right onto that grill. i don't recommend this method as the ribs tend to break and fall apart, and it's generally price prohibitive as i think it cost about $40,000--i'll bet i could have bought an awful lot of McRib sandwiches for $40K..

• Moderators

and the taste is there, it's just subtle

That's a little surprising I thought in the oven wrapped with the sauce to cook made me think they would have had alot more sauce flavor, you never know until you try it. They look good [Y] maby marinate and cook the same way and add the sauce when on the grill ?

Hard to tell, I guess the best thing to do is keep trying, tough job but someone has to do it. [:P]

Once the membrane is removed I cut my racks into two pieces, then coat each with a very small amount of olive oil just enough to make a thin film. Then I destroy/mine/crush garlic and red onions and add to the ribs. Next I add dry rub, a generous amount dry rub and then wrap the ribs in foil to marinate overnight.

Next day I light the smoker and I put 1/3 white wine, 1/3 apple juice and 1/3 water into a pan. The pan sits between the coal and the ribs and steams while they smoke. I add soaked hardwood and smoke em for two hours at 225’ish. The depending on the amount of meat on the ribs I either cretch them in foil or let them finish on the lump charcoal until they are done. I add water to the pan as needed.

Once the membrane is removed I cut my racks into two pieces, then coat each with a very small amount of olive oil just enough to make a thin film. Then I destroy/mine/crush garlic and red onions and add to the ribs. Next I add dry rub, a generous amount dry rub and then wrap the ribs in foil to marinate overnight.

Next day I light the smoker and I put 1/3 white wine, 1/3 apple juice and 1/3 water into a pan. The pan sits between the coal and the ribs and steams while they smoke. I add soaked hardwood and smoke em for two hours at 225’ish. The depending on the amount of meat on the ribs I either cretch them in foil or let them finish on the lump charcoal until they are done. I add water to the pan as needed.

Great ideas here... I'll give this method a try before Labor Day.... I'm always looking for a new way to thrill the crowd... Thanks, Boxx