Alternate to Rc-7?

WeebMan

I'm not backing down from my assertion or waffling at all. But just want you to know I'm not trying to be disrespectful here. Ok. Brunt I respect you opinion alot as I know your history from the trade shows, Klipsch rally's and AVS forum. Especially since you are an engineer for Polk. What's your take on this?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally for sound quality all the speakers would be identical (except the sub), however in 99% of homes this would be absolutely impossible and completely out of the question or just impractical for most people and if this was the way home theater speakers were designed there probably wouldn't even be any home theater today as too few people would do this to their homes.

Speaker designers have developed speakers to try to be the most practical to use and that is why we have the current front, center and surrounds that we do. Of coarse different speaker manufacturers have taken on their own concepts and engineering designs. Most follow the same general rule and some vary from it.

But the basic idea is that you should not be able to tell that the sound is coming from a different speaker just from a different location. The speakers should blend to sound as seamless as possible without any indication that the sound is changing to a different form of speaker.

I assuming this system doesn't sound right either without a "normal" center channel speaker?

40965.jpg

I think you're missing the point. Sounds like jasonjcarney is arguing that 3 identical across the front isn't hands down better than the above setup with that company's equivalent center channel...he never said it was worse.

I tend to side with jasonjcarney for a slightly different reason. I have an extremely hard time believing most people can hear a difference when it comes down to it. Eyes closed i don't believe most people would identify a fronstage consisting of 2 RF-7's and a RC64 as being "worse" than 3 RF-7's. The "real theaters don't use specially designed center channels" argument is garbage to me because the majority of nice theaters sound inferior to a well designed home theater.

I personally have a hard time reading through audio threads in particular. One man's "huge improvement" is another man's "I don't hear a difference". I don't like to discount science and specs and numbers, but when I fire up a movie or crank up some tunes, I'm not looking at charts and graphs.

I know you guys disagree with eachother, but as far as I'm concerned jasonjcarney's word resonates a bit more with me after admitting a $700 amp didn't do much of anything in his setup. Takes a real solid dude to say that after dropping a fat wad on something everyone else claims blew them away with improvement.

On a side note, why does it seem Klipsch went against conventional thinking with the THX system? Smaller form factor, no dedicated center speaker...why not start there and make cheaper versions down the product line and ditch the whole tower speaker/center channel combo altogether?

Ideally for sound quality all the speakers would be identical (except the sub), however in 99% of homes this would be absolutely impossible and completely out of the question or just impractical for most people and if this was the way home theater speakers were designed there probably wouldn't even be any home theater today as too few people would do this to their homes.

Disagree slightly. Why couldn't Klipsch just make cheaper versions of it's THX system? No bulky towers and you could use different drivers, tweeters, crossovers etc to cut cost down the line.

Disagree slightly. Why couldn't Klipsch just make cheaper versions of it's THX system? No bulky towers and you could use different drivers, tweeters, crossovers etc to cut cost down the line.

The THX system is not good for music. Towers are. IMO that is why they don't make all speakers that way.

I'm almost afraid to comment on my own thread LOL. I love the passion. I'm still not really convinced either way. I can see arguments from both sides and don't really want to put in the effort to research it myself. 3 identical speakers would be seamless and sound perfect. And I can see the center being designed to fit a little more conveniently. But something is telling me, if the center is going to be producing mainly vocals... wouldn't they set it up to produce them better than a l/r that will be producing the explosions and what not? I honestly have no clue. Sounds to me like the average person(me) probably wouldn't notice MUCH of a difference. But it is harder to find a single tower. Bleh. Any more comments on the rc-7 I found? Missing one woofer, the other woofer has a dented dust cap, scratched and dinged, no grill... 240 shipped. Fair price?

I assuming this system doesn't sound right either without a "normal" center channel speaker?

40965.jpg

I think you're missing the point. Sounds like jasonjcarney is arguing that 3 identical across the front isn't hands down better than the above setup with that company's equivalent center channel...he never said it was worse.

His first comment was "That state[ment] is an opinion and I couldn't disagree more." This was in response to the 'three trumps two and a center,' statement on the second page.

Either way, I enjoy JJCs differing opinion and am not offended. However, JJC, you could certainly be less condescending with your initial offerings.

I'm almost afraid to comment on my own thread LOL. I love the passion. I'm still not really convinced either way. I can see arguments from both sides and don't really want to put in the effort to research it myself. 3 identical speakers would be seamless and sound perfect. And I can see the center being designed to fit a little more conveniently. But something is telling me, if the center is going to be producing mainly vocals... wouldn't they set it up to produce them better than a l/r that will be producing the explosions and what not? I honestly have no clue. Sounds to me like the average person(me) probably wouldn't notice MUCH of a difference. But it is harder to find a single tower. Bleh. Any more comments on the rc-7 I found? Missing one woofer, the other woofer has a dented dust cap, scratched and dinged, no grill... 240 shipped. Fair price?

Sorry I hi-jacked your thread! Unfortunately, I can't actually answer your real question. [:(]

• Moderators

Eyes closed i don't believe most people would identify a fronstage consisting of 2 RF-7's and a RC64 as being "worse" than 3 RF-7's.

I for one probably could not. My ears are not what I would consider "critical".

One man's "huge improvement" is another man's "I don't hear a difference".

That has always been the case. Each of our ears hear differently, our systems are different, room sizes and acoustic differences as well. Some of us have pristine hearing while others are near deaf.

everyone else claims blew them away with improvement.

"Everyone" would be a stretch. I know for my setup, it was a definite improvement but as I have stated before, it was not a night and day difference. Overall clarity improved, better separation and definitely better clarity at lower volumes and more bottom end (even at low volumes) and at high volumes, the amp is definitely an improvement since vocals remain crisp, not harsh and forced.

There is nothing wrong with having differences of opinion. That's what makes this forum great. It's how you disagree that makes a differnce.

40965.jpg

I tend to side with jasonjcarney for a slightly different reason. I have an extremely hard time believing most people can hear a difference when it comes down to it. Eyes closed i don't believe most people would identify a fronstage consisting of 2 RF-7's and a RC64 as being "worse" than 3 RF-7's. The "real theaters don't use specially designed center channels" argument is garbage to me because the majority of nice theaters sound inferior to a well designed home theater.

I personally have a hard time reading through audio threads in particular. One man's "huge improvement" is another man's "I don't hear a difference". I don't like to discount science and specs and numbers, but when I fire up a movie or crank up some tunes, I'm not looking at charts and graphs.

I know you guys disagree with eachother, but as far as I'm concerned jasonjcarney's word resonates a bit more with me after admitting a $700 amp didn't do much of anything in his setup. Takes a real solid dude to say that after dropping a fat wad on something everyone else claims blew them away with improvement.

On a side note, why does it seem Klipsch went against conventional thinking with the THX system? Smaller form factor, no dedicated center speaker...why not start there and make cheaper versions down the product line and ditch the whole tower speaker/center channel combo altogether?

Did Jason send the amp back for a refund? Because if he can’t

hear a difference then I’m sure he has. I know i would have sent mine back if I

didn’t notice an improvement. I’m not going to take a side on the 3 mains is

better or worse. I’m just going to say that 3 identical speakers will have a

better chance of sounding the same. That

doesn’t guarantee it will sound better to everyone. The rc-52ii imo wouldn’t hold

a candle to the floor standing rf-52ii. So 3 rf-52ii would be better. But imo an

rc-62ii would be pretty close to an rf-62ii. So probably wouldn’t hear much

difference. I do however know that 3 rf-7ii would definitely be better than 2 with

an rc-64ii (even though the 64 is amazing). The rf-7ii can do everything the

rc-64ii can and more. It’s just a more dynamic speaker top to bottom. Bigger speakers just have an advantage over

smaller ones when the quality is equal (Fact). But when the size is close and

the materials are close I don’t think there would be a noticeable difference.

The thx system is 100% built for ht. The floor standing designs

are for both ht and 2 channel. And I’m honestly a little surprised they haven’t

built a smaller more affordable version.

are for both ht and 2 channel. And Im honestly a little surprised they havent

I'd be down for a THX Select II HT from Klipsch!

Did you call Klipsch? Smile

No... Was what I said THAT good? [:P]

Wow... Care to explain the center channel not receiving a different signal than the r/l statement further? I am on some heavy meds right now due to a back injury but I am fairly certain the vocals comeing from my center channel are different then those coming fro
My r/l . Or has Dolby been pulling our leg low these many years?

I'm saying, any channel can receive any sound at any time. If you think voices only come from the center speaker, you're wrong. If you think explosions and gun fire only come from the L & R, you're wrong. You want each channel in your HT to reproduce any given sound exactly the same way as all other speakers in the room. And the best way to do that, taking room interaction out of the equation, is if all speakers are physically the same. I'm not sure how to argue this any further, so I guess I'll agree to disagree with anyone who is on the other side, but the conversation is fun.

are for both ht and 2 channel. And I’m honestly a little surprised they haven’t

I'd be down for a THX Select II HT from Klipsch!

I think the center is kind of the deal breaker in that

system in most set ups. Plus imo you could spend way less than that buy

internet direct subs and have a better set up. I have heard thx system and it does

sound great though.