My new best friend

CECAA850

Any more of that litter left?

I can ask if you're serious. There were 7 males and 3 females. As of 10 days ago (or so) I think there were one or two of the little guys left. Be aware however that they're in North Georgia.

I haven't been able to take the plunge and get more because I trained and raised them from the time they were 5 weeks old.

It's hard when you get another dog, there was a lot of emotions going on with me at the time we decided to get him. This is our 5'th puppy we've had since I've been married. We've had 2 New Foundlands, 1 Golden Retreiver, my last Rottie Adolph and now Axel. Every time I've gotten another dog, I think about how gut wrenching the passing of the previous one was, but as the saying goes, it's better to have loved and lost than never having loved at all. I cave.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been a large breed fan. Only exception to that over the years have been Blue Healers. It certainly pulls on the heart strings each time one passes.

New family that's allergic to doggies. Found out Yorkshire Terries don't make the girls sneeze or eyes water. Our dog at 3 years old is probably the same size as Axel. 4.5 lbs

Cute pup Sir. Rotties are a special breed. Chain link fence around all the speakers!!!!

• Moderators

Congratulations cute little dog, hard to believe it going to get that big. You don't know what to expect with a new puppy, we just got a little new one year dog, from the pound and he seems to be doing well, until my grandson goes off some where then he cries until he gets back,need to fix that. It's a little miniature Pinscher, 10 pounds I think.

I can ask if you're serious. There were 7 males and 3 females. As of 10 days ago (or so) I think there were one or two of the little guys left. Be aware however that they're in North Georgia.

If you could shoot me the contact information I'll give them a call and check the status and at least. If not this litter, I could find out if they plan on another one as I'm going on a vacation in a couple of weeks. I need a trip down south so Georgia wouldn't be a problem. I've had many large breed dogs in my life but my male rott Dozer was the alpha in a litter of 11 and he was by far the best and smartest dog I've ever had. He had not seen me for nearly 2 years and when I went to get some things from my ex, he hopped up in the passenger side of the truck when I was getting ready to leave and would not get out quietly, it was heart wrenching. Do you do all the training yourself?

If you could shoot me the contact information I'll give them a call and check the status and at least. If not this litter, I could find out if they plan on another one as I'm going on a vacation in a couple of weeks. I need a trip down south so Georgia wouldn't be a problem. I've had many large breed dogs in my life but my male rott Dozer was the alpha in a litter of 11 and he was by far the best and smartest dog I've ever had. He had not seen me for nearly 2 years and when I went to get some things from my ex, he hopped up in the passenger side of the truck when I was getting ready to leave and would not get out quietly, it was heart wrenching. Do you do all the training yourself?

Pete, I do some of the training but plan on having my daughters do formal obedience training when he's old enough. He needs to know that they're boss and what his status is in our "clan". Rotties are somewhat prone to pick up parvo so we'll be sure to keep him home till his series of shots are done. I'll PM you the info on where we got him.

Carl

Sorry to hear about Adolph, but...

A very warm welcome to Axel...CECAA850, it's really really cute! Can you share some more pics, please!

I'll try to snap some this weekend. It's hard as he's either passed out or going 100 mph, there's not much in between.

I didn't think we'd ever replace him, and actually no dog could,

Good for you! Sucks about Adolph. How old was he?

Adolph was 10 when we put him down. He was running one day and cut real hard (after a cat LOL) and yelped when he made the hard turn. We thought he pulled something. After a week or so of not getting better we took him to the vet. The first vet we went to just gave us pain pills for the symptoms. We thought it might be something more so we took him to another vet for a second opinion. Turns out that he had bone cancer that started in one of his front shoulders (why is it suddenly getting hard to type?). He lived a few more months after that as his shoulder grew. When he was in constant pain and couldn't function, we took him back to the vet for the last time. 4+ years later, it's still hard to think about.

4+ years later, it's still hard to think about.

Tell me about it.. We lost our German Shepherd, Gunner, Christmas Eve last year. Same thing similar to Adolph. I was throwing his ball around in our back yard and I noticed he would occasionally drag his back feet. The next morning he wouldn't get out of his doghouse. We took him to the vet and found out he had degenerative myelopothy, pretty common in german shepherds. We got some medication and it all went downhill from there. Two weeks later we took him back to the vet in hopes a different medicine would work. They kept him overnight and ran some test and we got a phone call from the vet telling us he has leukemia and may not make it another day. We drove straight to the vet and held him in our arms for the last time. We had that special bond that no dog can EVER replace...

Rotties are prone to certain types of cancer. I've been thinking about going with a raw diet for him as there's a gereral concencus that much of their problems are food related. I plan on discussing this with my vet when he goes in for his next round of shots.