Return with me now part II

CaptnBob

From the March 1960 High Fidelity:

"Rodgers' score was a major disappointment. A curious mixture of semireligiosity, saccharine sweetness, and bland good nature, it almost wholly lacks the invention and individuality of the composer's earlier scores ... unusually banal ... a stodgy religious chant ... sung ... with an intensity it neither deserves nor benefits from ... distinctly uninspired lyrics ... badly miscast ... verges on the unbearable ... dirge in folk music form. No, I fear "The Sound of Music" is hardly destined for immortality."

Just in case the critics were getting you down.

Am I so old that I still find the scores from Paint Your Wagon and South Pacific enjoyable???

Do you one better, or at least a lot more obscure. Soundtrack album from a TV show called "Winston Churchill: The Valiant Years" from around 1962 or so. My copy is either the first or second LP I owned. I still have the other: The Mercury Living Presence "1812" recording.

Also still like the soundtrack(s) from "Victory at Sea."

On all the above, as the British say "Not a lot, mind you, but I LIKE them."

Dave

Mom dragged me to the movie, South Pacific. She said I'd like it because it is a war movie. As I kid, a didn't get it. And there was a product at Jones Beach Theater later.

About 10 years ago I saw a production of South Pacific in Dallas. In a converted warehouse. The orchestra was one side of the square and the production was on a main floor. It was the best live theater I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it was closing night or I'd have gone back twice.

- - - -

The discussion of anything after South Pacific reminds me of debates about ranking the best rock of the '60's. IMHO, you have to take Sgt Peppers off the table. And Tommy, too. They skew the sample.

- - - -

South Pacific was so good that anything which followed could not measure up.

WMcD

- - -

Mom dragged me to the movie, South Pacific. She said I'd like it because it is a war movie. As I kid, a didn't get it. And there was a product at Jones Beach Theater later.

About 10 years ago I saw a production of South Pacific in Dallas. In a converted warehouse. The orchestra was one side of the square and the production was on a main floor. It was the best live theater I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it was closing night or I'd have gone back twice.

- - - -

- - - -

South Pacific was so good that anything which followed could not measure up.

WMcD

- - -

I got dragged along with my parents to see South Pacific when I was a kid in England. We had gone to the beach but the weather sucked, so they decided a movie was a good idea.....I was maybe 8 yrs old, Iv'e been in love with Mitzi Gaynor ever since, thanks.