Double Klipschorn Center? anyone go here yet?

We seem to be on the good side of Irene (I hope) but its raining a bit so I was thinking. This is always a bad thing as I end up with another project. I picked up a pair of Klipschorn Decorator Bass bins last fall. I didn't need them but I had another week moment for a good bang for the buck. The pair set me back $500 without any high frequency horns of drivers but I got a pair of AK3 and late Round magnet K33's with the bins. I plan on putting back in the Square magnet K33's and maybe a bit more. I started doing some drawing a couple days ago and the cut list is pretty simple. Depending on how much work I put into the tail board (reflectors?") it looks like a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the back (38 1/2 by 85) maybe a double would be better. A sheet 5 x 5 sheet of 3/4 Baltic Birch will make the top and bottom, a bit more for the braces and most of the center is done. comments? Yea, I drew up the quad too...

post-42841-1381966145139_thumb.jpg

I don't have a clue, seems like it would work if you had the distance between for the center. I have them in the living room and I had the speakers sitting next to each other so it took very little on my part to make them sit 90 degrees to each other. from there it ws just "draw what ya saw".

These will be enclosed in some way, most likely the TSCM style, If I want to try them as a double it will be a modular center.

Here is the Khorn quad. Two sheets of 5 x 5 baltic birch and you are nearly there...

post-42841-1381966145338_thumb.jpg

We seem to be on the good side of Irene (I hope) but its raining a bit so I was thinking. This is always a bad thing as I end up with another project. I picked up a pair of Klipschorn Decorator Bass bins last fall. I didn't need them but I had another week moment for a good bang for the buck. The pair set me back $500 without any high frequency horns of drivers but I got a pair of AK3 and late Round magnet K33's with the bins. I plan on putting back in the Square magnet K33's and maybe a bit more. I started doing some drawing a couple days ago and the cut list is pretty simple. Depending on how much work I put into the tail board (reflectors?") it looks like a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the back (38 1/2 by 85) maybe a double would be better. A sheet 5 x 5 sheet of 3/4 Baltic Birch will make the top and bottom, a bit more for the braces and most of the center is done. comments? Yea, I drew up the quad too...

My understanding is that the corner gives you 1/8th space and if your corner was made with mirrors you would see 4 speakers above the floor and 4 speakers below the floor as described in the attached photo from the 1975 Klipsch owners manual.

This means that 2 Khorn basshorns against a flat wall would be equal to 1 Khorn in a corner.

You would also need to position a sheet of plywood between the to speakers cabinets to form the corner for each enclosure.

You would also need to drive them as a mono channel preferably from one amplifier channel so they are exactly matched to each other.

With all these measures exact you could then replicate the refection from the 1/8th space of the corner by using the 2 speakers.

That is my thinking on the subject and other might like to correct me on this point of view.

post-45280-13819661470818_thumb.jpg

Theory says that two Klipschorn bins in Pi-space (intersection of one wall and floor) will behave exactly the same as one Klipschorn in Pi/2 space (intersection of two walls and floor). Hornresp models it this way, too.

I know this is a liitle off on a tangent, but has anyone ever tried a second set of KHorns on top of the first with the tweeters next to each other? So the bass horn of the second pair is up near the ceiling. Or perhaps with a spacer between the tweeters so the bass horn is at the ceiling level?

Eric

I know this is a liitle off on a tangent, but has anyone ever tried a second set of KHorns on top of the first with the tweeters next to each other? So the bass horn of the second pair is up near the ceiling. Or perhaps with a spacer between the tweeters so the bass horn is at the ceiling level?

Eric

Yes, it has been done. Someone posted their pics on here a few years ago.

http://klipsch-direct.de/Messeberichte.html

Ah yes..........Werner Eng. Check out this guy's site. He is a Klipsch dealer in Germany and has a bunch of eye candy pictures. You can find the double Khorn stack in there under the "reference" tab and the first choice in the pull down menu.

Apparently he got some photos from someone here in the states as I actually see myself and others here on his webiste. Hmm.........